Seattle, WA
herr_prof wrote:

There are lots of great musicians with shitty taste. Look at modern prog for example.

There's no such thing as "shitty taste"

Taste is relative, no one is wrong.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:39 pm)

Seattle, WA
Feryl wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

There's no such thing as "shitty taste"

Taste is relative, no one is wrong.

False.

Source: top 40 fans.

If they like it, then that's ok. That's what taste is about.

France (au milieu)

+1 Dire Hit

... then, I would not argue too much about musical taste on a forum dedicated to mario blips smile)

I feel a bit like cortuor these days, nothing really convincing gets out of any of my instruments, have a few projects going on, but kind of dawdle...
i keep going arround old stuff and way of working... it is boring and not too motivating indeed...

but I know that these ''low'' period of time are also important, to step back for a while, internalize things and often imagine new directions

don't be afraid about it, maybe change style totally, or even instrument... seek for a new form of musical fun if this one seems to have loosen attraction. you may come back to it through another way one day... or not, who cares

and don't worry too much about time, it's juste ''time'' you can't actually gain or loose it wink

Berlin, Germany

Never stop writing, no matter what.

That said, a lot of people who get into a creative rut seem to overly rely on a set formula to write music and forget what they originally wanted to say.

Chicago, IL

Well said all.

I can totally relate. I used to do like acoustic/rock songwriting and after hearing certain releases in the 2000s I was like, "I can never measure up"...

...I think we all go through this from time to time. Now, when I get into that 'I'll never measure up' phase, I stop working on releases, and start learning stuff, I make tutorials, I experiment with making sounds. I'll be the first to admit I'm not terribly original. Most of the chip tunes I do is for game developers, they don't want anything that goes beyond what you heard in Megaman 2, although part of me wants to make something more unique. But I still feel happy when I make a song that sounds like one of my favorite childhood games, as long as that feeling is there, I will keep doing it, whether paid for it or just for fun.

Something I see a lot (not AS much with musicians) is someone arbitrarily decides "I'm gonna be a top chef" or "I'm gonna be a great photographer", "I'm a weightlifter now", "I'm gonna make my own random company" and they lose all sense of perspective about what they're doing, later they realize they are looking for outside validation on what they're doing, and when it doesn't come they don't know what to think.. I enjoy photography, but I don't post it anywhere, it's something I like but nothing I'll never be a master of and that's ok. Do something you love even if no one else cares. It's not a competition. I know this guy who makes fonts and art who also does chip tunes, it's interesting stuff, but he only posts it on his website, he felt like doing it, so he did it, is it the next big hit? No, but it was fun for him so that's something.

Last edited by BeatScribe (Dec 22, 2014 12:42 pm)

Seattle, WA

I think one of the really good ways to get out of a slump is to work on some fundamentals. Learn about sound design, synthesis, mixing, and music theory just to give you tools to go about making music. That one thread on getting polyphony out of the wave channel through hand drawn waves sent me on a YouTube tutorial bender. A few days later NNNNNNNNNN didn't sound so intimidating. It's all about giving yourself the means to make what you want to make.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:24 pm)

Seattle, WA
Feryl wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

If they like it, then that's ok.

Relativism at its worst and most obvious.

Look, I used to be like you. I have really strong opinions about the music I listen to and had no issues with voicing them. I thought I was pretty good at arguing that pop music/country/whatever is crap and objectively bad. Maybe I was, but I didn't see any real results with it because I was forgetting something huge:

Nobody cares!

You're never going to convince someone to like different music by trying to sound rational; liking music isn't rational. Liking music is something much more emotional. Have you ever tried to make someone feel better by arguing with them? It doesn't work. People like different things for different reasons, and no reason is worth more than any other. Liking music because it's catchy is not any more valid than liking music because of technical proficiency. Liking music because it's aggressive is no more valid than liking music because it's relaxing. These opinions are developed by our feelings and experiences over one's life so far. These things aren't going to change immediately just because you claim to be an objective authority on music.
          If you're having trouble connecting with people over music try showing them the middle ground between what you like and what they like. Don't drop pop fans into shitbird right off the bat, try nullsleep or some of the songs off the most recent electric children album. When you try to argue merit about something that is 95% opinion you're not going to sound as smart as you think you sound. You're going to sound like an asshole and people won't want to talk to you. I know. I've been there.

In conclusion, be a little open minded/be nice to people/listen to cool tunes/this picture:

I'm going to stop replying after this because it's pretty unrelated to the actual thread (I have a bad habit of propagating flame wars), I just hope that at some point you reconsider this narrow point of view. There's a lot you could be missing, both in music and music fans.

Berlin, Germany

Your opinion and point of view are incorrect.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:39 pm)

There are no "incorrect" opinions. They're opinions. They can be spawned from a different ideology or a different set of moral or intellectual priorities, they can be tainted by incomplete or outdated information or malformed assumptions. But they themselves can't be "incorrect" per se: they're subjective.

There are also no incorrect points of view. They're points of view. They depend on the perception of their owner, who has a different way of seeing things, different experiences, and different impressions depending on the individual.

For them to be incorrect, there need to be "correct" opinions or points of view; and to claim there are correct and incorrect opinions and points of view is invalidating freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

If anything, people may make a mistake and express it through their opinion, or let it taint their point of view. But in things so subjective like the quality of mainstream vs non-mainstream music, especially considering the multiple factors that are involved in the experience of enjoying a piece of music, there's no wrong or right. No one is wrong for enjoying that dumb "all about the bass" song (for example), and no one is "in the right" for saying music is worse now because people hear that instead of, say, Mussorgski's Cum Mortuis In Lingua Morta.

And it's much healthier for us, chipmusic enthusiasts, to think this way; especially because in terms of musical elitism, it can be applied back to us. "In my time people played real instruments, they didn't try to play music with toys*."

* An opinion that would be formed through incomplete information: see Leopold Mozart's Toy Symphony.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Dec 23, 2014 2:24 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:24 pm)

Puerto Rico

I could never consider "quitting" music altogether, I feel like it would be erasing a lot of what I've done, a lot of what I've experienced, a lot of what I've learned. I've never been anyone notable in this community but I've played a show or two, made some friends and killed some time enough for it to be worth it. I haven't composed anything notable this entire semester, and I've really just been going over the same track over and over, editing and polishing. Who cares? I just bought some new gear and am ready to step it up a little if I have the chance in the new year, but whatever, I'm doing this for myself. You don't even have to be "good", and I don't see why something like being tone deaf is really a barrier (You can always theory/math it; or go full on atonal and have fun with it). If you're tired, take a break. If you're hyped, good! Work with it.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

New Zealand

U r all a much of morons, get off the net and write sum tunes and shut the fuck up

Spookane, Warshington

You should only continue writing music if you enjoy it. Also, don't give yourself a hard time for not being able to write like <insert musician>. It takes time to become that skilled and the amount of time varies from person to person. I've been writing music (on and off) for eight years now and I'm still not where I want to be, but I've definitely seen a lot of improvement.

Maybe take a break and come back when you're feeling that itch to write something. You might get a fresh perspective. I know that when I've taken breaks from writing I've mysteriously become better upon returning (o - o)

Xuriik wrote:

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

You are awesome.