Australia

Glad to hear it arrived ok, those that ordered my first batch should be receiving them in the coming days if not already.

I'm very surprised the transfer rate in Win8 is twice what it is on XP!

Please post any software update requests here. I've added a lsdsng import function and I'm working on an export function.

Would a USB drive style dongle that can save and restore multiple .sav files via a link port be handy? The focus would be on keeping the price down. 16 x 128k save files. USB stick size device. Aiming for $10-12 per unit. Could make sharing tracks a little easier? Or perhaps for swapping out saves on a longer DJ set?

Whateverville, California

So I got my linker working today, and it's awesome. I have a couple of questions that I didn't see answers for anywhere, so I figured I'd give them a shot:

For a sec I was mystified by the Com# function in the utility. (Runtime error 8002, lol.) I just punched in numbers until it worked, but I could see how that might be frustrating for some folks. Maybe bundle a readme/FAQ/setup guide with the Utility setup folder?

Will the patched .sav files play back on any specific Gameboy emulator? They fail ROM checksums in BGB. Any way to unpatch .savs?

What about that standalone ROM you were working on? How does that work as far as an EMS card is concerned - just load both on one page or LSDJ on one page and the Utility ROM on the other?

The new features sound rad man. Looking forward to em'.

Last edited by Imaginary (Feb 1, 2015 10:06 pm)

matt's mind

got mine in the mail the other day!  haven't had a chance to use it yet, but just wanted to comment that its quite cosmetically pleasing smile  can't wait to get back home and give it a go!  perfect for throwing (rather, gently placing) in a bag on the go

Australia

Hi Imaginary,

Sorry about the COM mystery, I'll write up a quick tutorial and include it in the setup.

The patched (I'm assuming you mean patched LSDJ ROM) .sav is a direct copy of what is on the cart and will work in BGB, or on another flash cart. It is not a ROM, but a save file so naturally it will fail a ROM checksum if you were to try and run it as a GB ROM.

When you download the .sav (128k) from your cart via the linker, put it in a folder with your original LSDJ ROM and rename the .sav file to match LSDJ's ROM name, except ending with .sav

When you launch BGB and load the LSDJ ROM, it will automatically load the .sav file too.

Yes, the stand alone ROM can be added to your EMS cart and works the same way as the linker utility in LSDJ. Or I can send you a Patched LSDJ to put on your EMS cart. I'll send them through when I get home today.

As for the COM port, if you go into control pannel, system, devices, you can go down to the COM port entry, expand it and you'll see my linker in there with the COM number that has been assigned to it. This number will change if you put it in another USB port which is important to note.

Ben

Australia

Thanks Kitsch,

If you have any troubles getting it up and running, please post them here. It's the perfect place to gather any and all the quirks that need to be addressed.

Ben

Minneapolis, MN
Imaginary wrote:

So I got my linker working today, and it's awesome. I have a couple of questions that I didn't see answers for anywhere, so I figured I'd give them a shot:

For a sec I was mystified by the Com# function in the utility. (Runtime error 8002, lol.) I just punched in numbers until it worked, but I could see how that might be frustrating for some folks. Maybe bundle a readme/FAQ/setup guide with the Utility setup folder?

Will the patched .sav files play back on any specific Gameboy emulator? They fail ROM checksums in BGB. Any way to unpatch .savs?

What about that standalone ROM you were working on? How does that work as far as an EMS card is concerned - just load both on one page or LSDJ on one page and the Utility ROM on the other?

The new features sound rad man. Looking forward to em'.

As far as the Com# goes this is how you find it. (Assuming you are using windows)
1. Plug the linker into your compy
2. Open your "Device Manager"
3. Look for the "Ports (COM & LPT)
4. Expand that option, and Com number you need will be the number to the far right of "USB Serial Port (COM#)
It'll look something like this.

Whateverville, California

Oh duh... I'd better start giving all my different LSDJ.gb files specific names instead of LSDJcopycopycopy.gb. I had the files hopelessly jumbled, but now things are running smoothly. big_smile

And yeah, I knew that the com stuff was in there somewhere, but as I only have three usb ports on this wonderful ugly duckling of a laptop I figured It wouldn't be hard to guess...

CM.O troubleshooting team IS GO! Thanks dudes.

Last edited by Imaginary (Feb 1, 2015 10:34 pm)

Australia

Sorry for the delayed reply, been a bit sick the last few days. www.bennvenn.com/GB/BootLoader_Lite.GB is the standalone ROM. It still needs to be optimised to speed up some of the routines but works in its current state. I'll update and post on here when its done.