USA, Maryland

Hello all! So im very new to this website and fairly new to the music scene and i was wondering what kind of music experience do you have? Im only 16 and ive only just started piano classes, thats it. Because of that im pretty inexperienced and lets face it, bad. So the rest of you better people, where do you get your experience?

My Igloo

By trail and error. If you give it enough time you might become happy with what you produce in the future. Practice makes perfect, and in my experience it's the only way to go. Cheers

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:39 pm)

Minneapolis, MN

2 years forced to play the piano around age 7-8, and I hated it.

And like everybody has been saying, trial and error.

I cant play music on many instruments, but i've always been involved in electric music, Producing on Reason 3, then 4, then 5, and DJing and promoting to start with, then MCing. Now I'm producing on LSDJ.

I think if you have a desire to make music and you understand how to make leads stay in tune with bass etc or when a note is out of tune, or out of scale with the rest of the song you can find melodies etc that work.

if you wanna see what someone who has no practical music training can come up with as an MC check here, this is my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/trinitylofi

Gameboy productions coming soon

Seattle, WA

Few months forced piano. Just keep at it and you'll suck less every time.

USA, Maryland

So what im getting from this is keep working with music stuff and through trial and error ill suck less everytime. Thanks everyone that helps so much ^-^

NC in the US of America

There's another thread about this where people go on and on about their musical experience or lack thereof somewheres on here...

I get my experience from having experiences.

My musical experience prior to chippystuff was piano lessons, choir, noodling around on instruments... etc

Finland

My two cents on the thing and something I'm lucky to be able to function with.

Motivation is your ultimate key to any success. You gotta want it. If you do, you're all good. Anything else works, but takes more time, patience and effort. smile That's it though really, you just have to want it enough~

Best of luck.

Edit: Well that, and doing it a whole bunch obviously. Didn't think that has to be said, but I'll say it anyway.

Last edited by my.Explosion (Jan 2, 2015 9:05 pm)

Riverside, CA

I picked up sax in middle school, marched the trombone in high school while playing guitar, bass, and sax in jazz band, and took AP music theory in high school.
I also messed with FL Studio throughout all of high school. Then I picked up Nanoloop my senior year and my chiptune life began....

Basically, just learn shit. Music theory, rhythmic patterns, production techniques, sound synthesis, etc. Plenty of resources out there.

for a second i thougt you'd done a freudian slip, then i realised it was me

The Silph Scope wrote:

I picked up sex in middle school

UK
Ashichan wrote:

Hello all! So im very new to this website and fairly new to the music scene and i was wondering what kind of music experience do you have? Im only 16 and ive only just started piano classes, thats it. Because of that im pretty inexperienced and lets face it, bad. So the rest of you better people, where do you get your experience?

Hey, welcome. How did you hear about this music scene?

Everyone starts somewhere. Whenever you're very unexperienced and only know a few notes/chords or either very experienced and know to play full a composition or a professional producer. As long as you're enjoying the process of it and what you've learnt so far the piano is the most important part I think.

A lot of new people can sometimes ask A) what kind of program they should use and B) what style of 'sound' they want to make. Though I wouldn't worry so much about those at the moment:- A) There's a whole range of programs and consoles you can look at to create music with, which I'm pretty sure some of this has also been covered aimed at new people getting involved with this scene. B) Although you say your unexperienced, your own sound will develop and progress naturally at your own pace.

Personally myself:- I started at my last year of primary school learning Guitar though kept with it and later learnt piano mostly by myself with a few lessons at college. Got into music sequencing at high school then found out about this scene when myspace was frequent. To this day I'm still constantly learning something new about music.

Also definitely found learning another instrument and music theory helpful when composing on another medium or instrument.

EDIT:- Grammar

Last edited by CS (Jan 2, 2015 10:24 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
SketchMan3 wrote:

There's another thread about this where people go on and on about their musical experience or lack thereof somewheres on here...

I thought so too but I think it might be about "what nonchip stuff do you do..."

I learned piano at a young age (7 if I remember correctly) and let my interest extend to other keyboards, brass, percussion/drums, synth programming and guitars and such.

Starting as a teen is not a handicap, if you really enjoy making music and the process of learning to make music, you will stick with it and have a wonderful time.

Atlanta, GA

I had no musical experience at all up until buying ableton and lsdj virtually within the same year (I don't use ableton...ever). It's actually amazing the amount of progress that can take place through trial and error. Like I'm actually having to go back and rework songs from only like a month ago to keep up with where I'm at now. If you really keep at it and don't give up you'll be amazed at how fast you'll go from basic tunes to full-fledged songs.

Youngstown, OH

The funny thing about musical experience is in the long run all that really matters is you've created something good, not that you've spent days or years on it

Nottingham, UK

Sucking at something is the first step to being kinda good at something. You get experience by just doing shit and not worrying about if it's good or not. Have fun, you've got years ahead of you to worry about being good.

At 15 I picked up a piece of shit guitar from someone's attic and sat with a goddamn guitar on my lap almost continuously for the next 4-5 years. Best decision of my life.