TX

Agreed on Monster Party, it's pretty cool. Some others (all NES):

Blaster Master (idk if it's "underrated" but it's amazing)
A Boy and His Blob
Captain Comic (a lot of people hate this one, but i dig it; ymmv)
Destiny of an Emperor
Kirby's Adventure (probably not "underrated" either but if you haven't played it, you gotta)
Solstice: The Quest for the Staff of Demnos
Toobin'
Xexyz
Ys

Here's a site that has a review of every (US) NES title, in case there are some you're curious about: http://www.questicle.net/p/list-of-nes-games.html

farts

for me...

SNES:

brainlord
uniracers
smash tv

sadly i mainly like the more mainstream NES but i will say ferrari grand prix challenge has my fav soundtrack and i think wasnt hugely popular

Chicago, IL
chipocrite wrote:

My favorite game of all time is "Nightshade" for NES. It's kind of a platformer, kind of a point-and-click adventure, kind of a fighting game.. Hard to describe, but I've always loved it. Fun and clever puzzles, and a great sense of humor. (If you play it, you might see my avatar pop up..)

Nightshade is amazing. And yep, I noticed the first time you posted here that your icon was from nightshade. I love the opening scenes how he's all dramatic about saving the city and then few hours later...locked up in the basement by the villain. Come on lampshade.

Chicago, IL
arlen wrote:

Ooh I thought of some others on NES.

Mr. Gimmick! (not sure if this will play correctly on ps2. uses a weird soundchip)
Cocoron
Recca '92
Alter Ego (fun homebrew puzzle platformer. probably not in the pack you downloaded. soundtrack by kulor!)

+1 on Shatterhand, too.

I tried Gimmick but for some reason the bass in the DPCM slows to a crawl on the PS2...how a vastly more powerful machine can't handle a few small wave files? Beats me...Probably the emulators fault.

Chicago, IL
Brother Android wrote:

Agreed on Monster Party, it's pretty cool. Some others (all NES):

Here's a site that has a review of every (US) NES title, in case there are some you're curious about: http://www.questicle.net/p/list-of-nes-games.html

thanks thats super handy, theres about a billion games i've never heard of on here.

UK

Metalstorm is an awesome, somewhat obscure, NES game. (With parallax bgs!)

Essentially variations on the gravity switching theme.

South Korea

Pocky and Rocky on SNES was pretty good/cute/difficult.
On NES, Little Samson, Crash and the boys street challenge, and Darkwing Duck were pretty underrated imho.

Chicago, IL
PROTODOME wrote:

Metalstorm is an awesome, somewhat obscure, NES game. (With parallax bgs!)

Essentially variations on the gravity switching theme.

yes metal storm!! i remember that one! the most insane boss battle ever!

I will definitely be playing some Metal Warriors for SNES too...with the best 2p vs ever.

Youngstown, OH

If you've never played Act Raiser before it's a personal all-time favorite. Mix between side scroll fighting/platforming and a top-view civilization builder.

if you wanna tear your hair out play "Takeshi no Chōsenjō "
"Samurai Zombie Nation" will blow your mind and is a must!
"chiller" is another MUST...

ohh and if you have access to famicom games get "Splatterhouse  Wanpaku Graffiti"

West Yorks, UK

NES: Gunnac, mr Gimmick, Crisis force, Shatterhand, Metal Storm.
Image fight conversion is also nice, but has the shittest music ever. (great fun though)

Last edited by Domu (Jan 8, 2015 3:33 pm)

had to youtube samurai zombie nation, its pretty fucking mental, you're a floating zombie head thing.....

Joliette, QC, Canada

NES :
Getsufuu Maden
STARTROPICS !!!!!!
Moon Crystal
Paperboy wink
Sugoro Quest
Sweet home (Suito Homu)

SNES :
Treasure of the Rudras
Alcahest
Arcana
Cyber Knight
Dual Orb 2
Front Mission
Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre

Last edited by XyNo (Jan 8, 2015 5:22 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

dood, Zombie Nation is super wacky fest... I can only think of a couple other wackier nes games, from the action 52 cart:

MASH MAN

NON HUMAN

but they are pretty much completely unplayable, haha.

Philly

NES:
Eliminator Boat Duel
Skate or Die 2
Cheetahmen II

Puerto Rico

Shatterhand is great, but STUPID hard! Gimmick! and Monster Party are also great, but less hard, at least for me.

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa is quite the trip and has some interesting mechanics, the level design can get a bit archaic and the bosses are kind of repetitive, but it's still pretty fun!

There's also the megaman romhacks, particularly Rockman 4 Minus Infinity and Rockman No Constancy.

Uhhhh, I don't know how underrated Little Samson (and the AMAZING WeeklyTreats glitchy romhack that LTC did of it!) and Blaster Master are, but they're great as well.