United States

So I got lsdj and my first thought was to do a hard rock cover on lsdj except that's probably too much for a beginner...

Whateverville, California

Depends on how much knowledge of music theory and tracking/composing electronic music you're going into this with.

Seattle, WA

Also depends on what the song is. You can pretty much cover anything in lsdj as long as you're ok with cutting out some parts. I'd actually recommend covering a few songs from video games to learn the interface, they're simple because they were written for the hardware. The only limit on what you can do in lsdj is how much time and energy you want to put in to it. And 4 channels, I guess.

Minneapolis, MN

I would say go for it. It wont hurt, you'll get lots of experience.

nashville,tn

Depends, most people learn music and instruments by learning songs they like. Maybe you just aim to get one or two aspects of the song programmed, ie maybe just bass line and drums or chords and beat or just melody. Trying to fully realize a multi tracked rock song with the limitations of the dmg is absurd, it is a different medium and idiom. The point is to learn the program right? Dive in.

Last edited by sugar sk*-*lls (Jan 8, 2015 1:52 am)

United States

Well I pretty much just play music by ear on the computer (It's been 2 years since I started I think? no music theory) and the song I wanted to do was Bullet For My Valentine's Forever and Always.

Seattle, WA
TEOMAWKI wrote:

I would say go for it. It wont hurt, you'll get lots of experience.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing, It's not like it'll actually hurt to try. Watch some tutorials, mess around, see if you can play your favorite songs.

SYD

this is how i am thinking of starting, with some music from games, some tv theme songs, and some old favourite songs of mine. can't see the harm in it, and it should quickly show the limitation/nuances of the software. i can't wait to get stuck into it more!

You got this, IceWolf! My first LSDJ track was a crappy cover of Led Zeppelin, lol!

Whateverville, California

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for just going for it. It's not like you're gonna get in trouble for trying. smile

Imaginary wrote:

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for just going for it. It's not like you're gonna get in trouble for trying. smile

I agree with Imaginary.. Covers are a great way to start most definitely.

..but what if there was the LSDJ police. dumdumdum

Seattle, WA
J3wel wrote:
Imaginary wrote:

I agree with Imaginary.. Covers are a great way to start most definitely.

..but what if there was the LSDJ police. dumdumdum

You're under arrest for using a 50% pulse wave with no modulation of any kind.

Atlanta, GA
Dire Hit wrote:

You're under arrest for using a 50% pulse wave with no modulation of any kind.

I literally just committed that crime. I winced when I listened back to the track.

Chicago, IL

I started out trying to make this on LSDJ, I am actually still working on it:

France (au milieu)

oops... sorry messed up with the ''edit'' stuff

Last edited by Sesska (Jan 9, 2015 10:28 am)

France (au milieu)
Sesska wrote:

being an absolut LSDJ beginner myself, not that far from starting point, i've also kind of hoped to start a track right away and ''learn by mistake''

but this actually quick led me to some veryvery crapy pulsebass-pulselead-kitdrums-nothing attempt of covers (purple haze, and some french pop-ish shit to be precise)

problem with lsdj is that it's quite simple to do simple things with it... but gets VERY complicated to make some even slighlty more elaborated stuff

so I got back on the holy path of wisdom:

- read the fucking manual (not only once) and try all the presets
- learn the basic manipulations (esp. this life-saving cloning thing)
- try to understand and use the basic commands in tables (esp. the ''P'' one, ''H'' too... E... V a.s.o.)
- understand and use the ''3 ticks'' trick (actually not use this much anymore)

then just experiment some different ways of making up fat kicks, cool snares (got mine by the way^^), basses and leads
mostly using some other people's presets/.save as a base, cheers folks

then putting this together and started of thinking about making up a decent track (failed so far, but won't give it up smile )

it's just my 2 cents, but judging from other people's appreciation only I quickly went from ''hu,hu soo funny, you make some game boy music, hu, hu" to ''fuck mate, how do you get this from a game boy ???

which is far more self satisfying, and motivating, I have to say...