So lately one of my LSDJ carts has been acting sort of weird...  It is an EMS 64 cart

I will go to open a song (certain songs,  not every song) and it gives me the "don't panic"  screen.

Also,  some songs are royally messed up now,  they sound all wrong... And it will look like there is data in some parts but no sound plays...Sort of hard to explain, but basically some songs sound all fucked up all of a sudden.

It's my oldest LSDJ cart,  could it be a battery issue?

Thanks for your help...

Seattle, WA

It just happens sometimes. Try and back up the save, format the cartridge, and reinstall lsdj with your save. It won't fix your current songs but it will help future issues.

Last edited by Dire Hit (Jan 16, 2015 12:07 am)

Alive and well in fucksville

I've never had a problem with a derpcart

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:23 am)

Seattle, WA
bitjacker wrote:

I've never had a problem with a derpcart

This is the most helpful thing anyone could possibly say.

Australia

The 'Don't Panic' screen appears when there is a stack error - Basicly something has been added to the gameboys memory (not the cart RAM) and didn't get taken back from it. Usually resulting from a corrupt ROM (could be dirty contacts effectively making the ROM bad - until you clean them, a bad solder joint etc...)

Unfortunately it sounds like your save file is corrupt. Maybe send what is left of it to Nitro2k01 and see if he can save it before you proceed?

I've heard people don't have this problem with a derpcart :-)

matt's mind
Dire Hit wrote:

It just happens sometimes. Try and back up the save, format the cartridge, and reinstall lsdj with your save. It won't fix your current songs but it will help future issues.

it *could* fix your issues.  rewrite it with a fresh ROM, not the one currently on the cart.  just grab it fresh from the LSDJ site

there is a slim chance its the battery, when they start going the cart can start behaving a bit odd.  but, before you remove the battery make SURE you've backed up your sav file.  and check it in an emulator for good measure, if you are paranoid like myself.

matt's mind

oh, also make sure the cart's edge contacts are clean, the PCB is aligned in the case still, and go ahead and give the connector in the console a nice strong puff of air just in case you've got something down in there interfering with good contact.   canned air would be better to avoid the humidity in your breath (although, it does help contact just a touch, but encourages oxidation so canned air is best).