I have been looking around for some powered Game Boy link cables. According to this tutorial Nonfinite Electronics used to carry powered link cables.

I searched on eBay, and have found some sellers with "6 pin Game Boy link cables" and decided to order one for fun to see if it even includes all the wires. It's coming from China and will take a few weeks to get here.

Anyone know of any place I can buy actual powered cables? Or if it's possible to buy just the connector? I can't seem to find just that anywhere. I'm looking to buy at least a few of them in the future.

just out of curiosity, why do you need it powered?

curious, as i plugged a link cable into a modified DMG01 that was off, and te back light came on very slightly

I want to make an adapter from 6 pin mini-din (PS/2) - female, to the Game Boy color connector - male, so that I can plug in keyboards to my GBC without ruining a keyboard, or installing a PS/2 port in my GBC which is tricky because there isn't a lot of space in there for one.

GBC link cables I've bought off ebay recently have had 7 conductors including one for the shield - hope you get the same ones!

Very cool! Do you have a link to the ones you bought? This is the one I got. The listing states there are 6 pins, but I wonder if there will be 6 wires inside. Guess I'll find out!

Cleveland, OH

MOST generic link cables have all 6-7 wires for the CGB/MGB side but not the DMG side. The ones that have DMG and CGB/MGB on plugs on both sides.

Also you can modify ANY link cable to have all the wires you need. You can either move the pin from pin 2 to pin 3 or if the cable base a shielding connection then you can use that as standard ground(exact same signal) and move the ground pin(pin 6) to pin 1(5v).

I'll throw this here if it helps at all:

Very cool, thanks for the tip! It's seems very likely that the cable I purchased will have all the wires. How easy is it to switch the pins around? A lot of USB type cables usually require the destruction of the housing to get access to where the wires are soldered to the connector.

Cleveland, OH

It's pretty easy actually. You just need to slide the rubber housing back, slide the metal shielding back(it will have some kind of clip you will need to shave down), then just move the pins around. They will have some kind of tab holding it in but you can bend it a little to push it out. Then I just use one drop of glue on the plastic housing so that the metal shield stays tight.