Hey, I am a little bit new to chip tracking, but every time I make a song, it sounds the same. I listen to chip-tunes, and get encouraged to go into Milkytracker and make something like the song. Then I miserably fail when i realize I can't reproduce the effect of the sound. Anyone know how people do this? I would like to know how to make a song like this one: (youtube) /watch?v=tHzG7OJ76t8 (i don't care about the instruments - i care about the effects and volume) or I would appreciate techniques in general. I really need pointers badly. My best chip-tune I made is (youtube) /watch?v=0zXv5bfMDCI . And I know that that chip-tune is pretty bad, but the only effect i know well is the vibrato. Please help me with these effects. I've visited the Milkytracker manual but am still curious on how to reproduce the echo, arpeggio sounds, and stuff like that. To summarize, I would appreciate helpful tips/techniques on making a good chip-tune.

Montreal, Canada

There's nothing wrong with your song. In fact I'd say it's better than a lot of first efforts I've heard. It's musical, structured, and does what it's supposed to do in terms of being chiptuney. It pretty much sounds like what everybody does before they get comfortable with the medium. You're comparing your song to something 4Mat did in 2006. Considering he started way the hellfuck back in the days, he's got a couple of years on you.

Keep at it, download a ton of modules, play them in your tracker of choice, and observe. Sounds boring I know, but it's how we pretty much all learned.

(edit: ah yeah...there's also these tutorials I used to write... they are for a specific software in mind, but a lot of the ideas are just general tracker stuff that should translate to what you're using)

Last edited by n00bstar (Feb 19, 2015 4:57 pm)