Worthing/Plymouth UK

Eat skittles and drink Monster. RIP teeth

Bangladesh

Whenever I feel sad and frustrated I always try to pray and read some inspiring stories. And I always try to be happy with whatever things I achieve so far.

Whateverville, California
jannatul18 wrote:

I always try to be happy with whatever things I achieve so far.

This is a big one. Taking a look at some old stuff from my humble beginnings as a musician has really helped me put aside my scathing self-criticism for a second and just be happy with the progress I've made. It's good to try to get some perspective on how far you've made it and then try to beat your average growth in the future.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

I have a friend fax me mean things like "you're a worthless piece of shit" once every few days and that drives me to better myself and my work

Seattle, WA
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

I have a friend fax me mean things like "you're a worthless piece of shit" once every few days and that drives me to better myself and my work

Somehow picturing insults getting spit out of a printer in whatever studio you have makes me crack up.

I also want to second being proud of your own stuff. Start listening to old tracks for what you did right, if your stuff is listenable at all then you've done something well and you should take note of that. So much of being motivated is just not getting frustrated. Look at how far you've come.

Chips & Dip :3
danimal cannon wrote:

DEADLINES.

SOMEHOW INVENT THEM IF THEY DONT EXIST. Ex: Weekly Beats, Compos, etc

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Huntsville, AL

There's a book about this exact problem. Basically, you have to keep creating to keep your boat (self) afloat, otherwise you sink. http://www.amazon.com/The-Van-Gogh-Blue … 1577316045

Personally, I think creative people need affirmation, not superficial stuff like FB or money (unless it's enough to make a living), but from other people in person. A musician's purpose is to create, and perform. An audience that truly enjoys it will be plenty of affirmation of your purpose as a musician.

Creating is only one half of what you do, you need to get out there and share your creations in real life, FB and the internet don't count, and wont be enough.  There's nothing like creating honestly, and having a crowd, even a small one enjoy it. Internet likes, views, are subscribers are just numbers.

Even a small show at 5 or 10 people who are truly into what you do...those people will motivate you to create more. I speak from experience, and would trade 150k views, 700 subs, and ad revenue anytime for a real life performance high any day.

France (au milieu)

I've found the solution of having punctual colaborations projects (this kind of meet the ''deadline'' concept)

even juste a bass loop or, a 16bars beat or whatever...
having people ''waiting'' on you is very motivating and push to migliorate the technical aspect (more than just ''working for yourself'' IMO)

without the 2 current (very humble) things I have in progress (1 beat+bass for a theater show and 1 full base for a funny trip-hop tune) I would have left this nonsense lsdj thing behind already smile

Maryland

Translate your negativity into music form. You could end up with a sexy sounding blues/alternative track. Can't have enough of those.

Fargo

I've read all the answers here, and there has been a lot of helpful stuff here.  The resounding majority of you vouch for exercise.  As chance may have it, I have started exercising and eating better lately.  My body doesn't feel too bad, (with the exception of after leg day, ouch). 

I can say deadlines have helped me in the past.  When I was in school, I was creating like crazy.  I have set some deadlines for myself with my album, but I've broken them.  I've even made a public announcement, but I broke it.  I just can't get myself to feel like I'm good enough.  It's never done, and my music always sucks compared to others' that I listen to.  I know I'm not that bad, but I can't turn off my self depreciating criticism.  I released 3 of the songs and they even got played on a local college chip radio show.  I was super excited.  Then my sister told me her friend listened and loved them but wanted to mix them for me with more bass.  So then it kicked in.  "They're not good enough.  I have to have my bass sound like Kubbi."  Now what I was proud of turned to shit in an instant.  I couldn't get it to sound right, and I gave up.  I haven't worked on it much since.  I have 9 completed songs that I am sitting on.  I know it's totally ridiculous.  Maybe you guys could help me.  I'm gonna post the title track here.  Tell me what it needs.  Give me a deadline (within reason), and I will keep to it this time.  I think it could make me very much happier if I could feel like I've created something I'm proud of.

This is the title track, Odyssey. 
https://soundcloud.com/krubbz/odyssey

I used to be able to translate my negativity to music and poetry.  And creating that would keep me going.  As bad as were the muses that brought about the things I wrote, the creation made me proud.  I can't seem to do this anymore.  This is different.  It's hard to know how to explain it without it being TMI, but a lot of really bad things have happened in my life in the past 6 months.  And I'm talking people dying bad, not, like, ripped my favorite shirt bad.  I'd be happy if I could even get back to my normal cynical, realist sort of negativity/depression.  I'm pretty low.  I'm trying, but this is why I need this.  And I thank you all so much for your responses. 

I am going to use many of the things I've read here.  I'll likely use the gradual daily small goals to get me back into it and the deadline to help me finally finish.  And I'll keep exercising.  I'm also seeking help.  And I hope any of you who are out there who mentioned struggling with depression or anxiety will do the same.  Even if it seems manageable, look into it.  You won't know what it's keeping you from accomplishing until you become aware later on of how much it's affected you and you look back.  The regret feels awful.  Don't let yourself get to that point.  Take care of it now.  There are a lot of options out there, and many counseling centers have sliding pay scales that let you pay based off of your income.  Please do it.

Fargo
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Also, thank you for this.  I love Home Movies smile

i'd be proud as heck of that song if i made it. it reminds me of failotron (was that the name) and also of minusbaby in a way. do a album m8

Fargo
sandneil wrote:

i'd be proud as heck of that song if i made it. it reminds me of failotron (was that the name) and also of minusbaby in a way. do a album m8

I'm so pumped to hear you say that.  It gives me motivation even to hear someone say they like it.  smile