I'm suffering from unpredictable midi in octamed 5.

In med soundstudio it seems reasonably stable but I hate all those cluttered windows on my stock Amiga screen.

In Octamed 5 I get thise strange behaviour:

-In order to get a good range from the external synth I need to increasethe transpose to 34 on the instrument settings.  However in octamed 5 this means every note doubles on the tracker screen: one intended note and another note tranposed higher.  No matter what I do I can't stop octamed putting notes twice like this unless I put the transposesetting to 0.  This does not happen in med sound studio

-my external synth is polyphonic and if I have two tracks in med sound studio playing it it plays fine. but in octamed 5 recreating the same results in one channel cutting the other one out like the synth is monophonic.

-Octamed 5 stops midi communication and only works by restarting.

At first I thought this was maybe a hardware problem or problem with the synth but it's weird that med ss works ok but not octamed 5.  I woould rather not use med ss because of the horrible interface.

any help?

cheers

Milwaukee, WI

I'd like to help. I can tell you straight away Octamed 5 sucks for MIDI, but I've never experienced any of these specific issues. Let's jump in...

d0us wrote:

I'm suffering from unpredictable midi in octamed 5.

Sounds about right. Don't use Amigas. wink

d0us wrote:

In med soundstudio

Do you mean Octamed SoundStudio (OSS) or MED? What is the version number?

d0us wrote:

it seems reasonably stable but I hate all those cluttered windows on my stock Amiga screen.

You can adjust screen size and screen height if necessary. You'll learn to love those windows.

d0us wrote:

In Octamed 5 I get thise strange behaviour:

-In order to get a good range from the external synth I need to increasethe transpose to 34 on the instrument settings.

What do you mean by "good range"? What synth are you using?

d0us wrote:

However in octamed 5 this means every note doubles on the tracker screen: one intended note and another note tranposed higher.  No matter what I do I can't stop octamed putting notes twice like this unless I put the transposesetting to 0.  This does not happen in med sound studio

What method are you using to input notes? Are both the MIDI IN/OUT synth ports connected to the Amiga?

d0us wrote:

-my external synth is polyphonic and if I have two tracks in med sound studio playing it it plays fine. but in octamed 5 recreating the same results in one channel cutting the other one out like the synth is monophonic.

I'm not entirely sure of what you are saying here. Using one track in Octamed 5 doesn't sound like using two tracks in OSS? Treat all MIDI tracks as though they were sample tracks, ie three tracks for three note chord.

d0us wrote:

What do you mean by this? Can you explain further?

d0us wrote:

At first I thought this was maybe a hardware problem or problem with the synth but it's weird that med ss works ok but not octamed 5.  I woould rather not use med ss because of the horrible interface.

Med/Octamed/Octamed Soundstudio are three completely different layouts. Use Octamed Soundstudio if you have the ability to do so, assuming this is what you are referring to.

More questions: What MIDI interface are you using? What model Amiga? What kickstart? What OS?

Also, I need you to try and send a patch change to your synth via a player command in Octamed. Does it actually work?

Let's figure this out!

d0us wrote:

any help?

cheers

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

TSC wrote:

Do you mean Octamed SoundStudio (OSS) or MED? What is the version number?

OSS.  sorry I mean OSS v1.03 on Amiga

TSC wrote:

You can adjust screen size and screen height if necessary. You'll learn to love those windows.

Nope, I really HATE THOSE windows on such a small screen (even when adjusting them...just looks horrible big_smile)

TSC wrote:

What do you mean by "good range"? What synth are you using?

Just to get to get the octaves to correspond with the octave layout on my Novaion X-Station

TSC wrote:

What method are you using to input notes? Are both the MIDI IN/OUT synth ports connected to the Amiga?

Both via keyboard and by MIDI in.  Yup midi/in and out

TSC wrote:

I'm not entirely sure of what you are saying here. Using one track in Octamed 5 doesn't sound like using two tracks in OSS? Treat all MIDI tracks as though they were sample tracks, ie three tracks for three note chord.

Sorry, what I mean is in Octamed 5 with 2 channels running one channel cuts out the other as if the synth was monophonic.  So in OSS I can have many tracks playing the same synth voice.  However in octamed 5 I can only play one note at a time.  So no chords for example.

d0us wrote:

TSC wrote:

What do you mean by this? Can you explain further?

Usually the above problems resolve themselves when I restart octamed 5.  I.e if I get no sound from the synth via midi, resetting and loading the same module makes it work.  Or the weird monophpnic thing..that resolves after a couple of resets.  I do not have to reset the synth- just the Amiga.

d0us wrote:

TSC wrote:

Med/Octamed/Octamed Soundstudio are three completely different layouts. Use Octamed Soundstudio if you have the ability to do so, assuming this is what you are referring to..

Yes OSS does seem to work fine...I just don't like those windows!!!

TSC wrote:

More questions: What MIDI interface are you using? What model Amiga? What kickstart? What OS?

Also, I need you to try and send a patch change to your synth via a player command in Octamed. Does it actually work?

Let's figure this out!

I'm using a Golden Hawk 500 interface on stock Amiga 1200, KS 3.0 and WB 3.1.  Ah I'll try patch change tonight (I can choose patch with the slider in the instrument panel when it works).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by d0us (Mar 4, 2015 6:30 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Re-reading your reply, you may want to triple-check your MIDI settings in Octamed 5. Make sure everything is off under the MIDI menu except 'MIDI Active" and send MIDI from the Amiga's keyboard.

Is "Send out input" turned off? This might be causing an input loop. Otherwise, try unplugging the MIDI cable going into the Amiga. This might resolve the double note issue.

Does "Send MIDI reset" do anything? It seems weird that you would have to turn your Amiga off to resolve MIDI issues.

Are you using a standard "Sample" instrument type under the Instr/Type menu?

Also, have you cracked open your MIDI interface? Does everything look somewhat clean?

I have Octamed 5 open right now and all MIDI is working fine for me except patch changes via player commands. It just flat out doesn't work for me. It never has. It's fine when adjusting manually, but not so much from a command.

Last edited by TSC (Mar 6, 2015 12:46 am)