Austria, Europe

Hello everyone. I recently prosounded 3 DMGs. However while playing around I noticed some strange noises.
I'm not sure if they are normal (as in "to be expected") or if I screwed up the mods somehow.

2 of them are prosounded to pre-pot while the 3rd is prosounded to post-pot. (I'm not sure if this makes any difference for that matter)
The 3rd one however also got a LED-backlight installed (the RGBx3 from kitsch) and is very noisy compared to the others.

Also I noticed (on all the DMGs) when syncing them up I can hear the linkport-sync talking over to the prosound-jack.

Might this be caused by (my) bad wire-routing in the DMG?

I'd love to play using the backlighted one but if that noise is normal behaviour I'd rather use a lightbulb instead ;-)
Thank you for reading, madpew

Sounds like bridging may have occurred. Is there any bridging from one solder point to the other?
If so, you can try seperating it with some clean cuts from an exacto knife.

Also, what kind of pro-sound, Internal or Standard (drilled hole, extra headphone jack)...?

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Mar 11, 2015 11:21 pm)

Austria, Europe

Thanks, I will check for bridging. All 3 DMGs are standard prosound (extra jack on the left side).
Will try to take some pictures later.

edit:
I didn't find any bridging, but decided to redo the mods anyways.
Meanwhile I rewired and rerouted the backlight and also changed the wiring of the prosound (it's also pre-pot now) and first tests did go well.
I'll do some more tests later to see if this really fixed the problems. Since I forgot to take pictures before closing it up again there's only this to show for now:

Last edited by madpew (Mar 12, 2015 2:59 pm)

Austria, Europe

All tests passed. I guess the problem was solved by re-routing the backlight. I had the power connected to the back-board earlier, now the powerlines are way shorter (connected on LCD-board) and don't cross the whole circuit. Seems the powerlines carried the linkport-signal down to the prosound.
I still got a little bit more noise on the backlighted-dmg vs. the non-backlighted but the difference isn't really audible anymore.

Just posting this for reference if someone else encounters that problem in the future.
Thanks for the help.