Hey guys. I love this forum, it's really helped me in my journey into chipmusic these last couple of months.

I've been writing the soundtrack to our latest games using LSDJ and I've written an article about it. I'd love feedback on it.

http://www.laserdog.co.uk/blog/31/3/201 … n-gameboys

Thanks a lot!!

Rob,

France

nice! I've just started yesterday to learn how to use LSDJ. At the moment I'm using it on my android phone with an emulator but if it turns well I'll probably buy a real gameboy (I never own one in fact).

You game looks really cool (I'll probably buy it soon), and you music is definitively amazing!

Last edited by garvalf (Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm)

Puerto Rico

It's fairly straightforward and probably serves as great literature for people-who-don't-know-about-chip. It doesn't fall into some of the common pitfalls that gets some of the artists here into angry fits. Also, Laser Dog cares about aesthetics and graphic design which is really important! Kudos on your good lookin' website wink

So, yeah, it's a pretty basic piece, but well written all the same! Welcome to the community! I'd recommend reading further on the subject, chipmusic goes pretty deep!

Seattle, WA

It was really really inexpensive. At least, that's my reason.

Last edited by Dire Hit (Apr 1, 2015 7:28 am)

Thanks for the feedback Xuriik smile Yeah, I didn't want to go to too much detail about the ins and outs of it all. I thought that my mum needs to be able to understand it big_smile She shared it on facebook, so I'm hoping she did haha!

Just out of interest, what are the common pitfalls?

Melbourne, Australia
Dire Hit wrote:

This was my reason, but then I just bought more and more... *sigh*

Chips & Dip :3

Chipzel did it and I thought "hey that chipzel person does it then why not me!!?!?!?!?

Dire Hit wrote:

It was really really inexpensive.

...only if you don't buy custom GB's that cost (at least in my case) lots of time and money

Then again I DID start off with BGB haha

Last edited by metatronaut (Apr 1, 2015 11:58 am)

metatronaut wrote:

Chipzel did it and I thought "hey that chipzel person does it then why not me!!?!?!?!?

Haha, that's pretty much how it went. I've been listening to sabrepulse, Trey Frey, Shirobon etc for a while too and never thought to think how the music was made. I'm pretty pleased I discovered LSDJ and this forum tbh smile

Oklahoma City, OK

Nice article! Especially liked this bit:

"When using LSDJ, you have 4 monophonic channels to work with. This limitation forces you to be creative in the way you produce rhythms, bass lines and melodies."

Puerto Rico
2X4B wrote:

what are the common pitfalls?

Making it all about the nostalgia, not taking the artform seriously, sticking on labels (like retro), calling it a genre, making it all about video games...

Seattle, WA
Panda Chan wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

It WAS really really inexpensive...

Seattle, WA
Xuriik wrote:
2X4B wrote:

what are the common pitfalls?

Making it all about the nostalgia, not taking the artform seriously, sticking on labels (like retro), calling it a genre, making it all about video games...

Also, taking the artform too seriously.

Melbourne, Australia
Dire Hit wrote:
Panda Chan wrote:

It WAS really really inexpensive...

Touche, my bad reading.

Atlanta, GA

For me, I saw the cTrix gAtari 2600 video late 2013 and immediately thought "oh my god I have to play around with this" because I hadn't made anything musical in about 8 years at that point. I picked up some VSTis and played around with samples in Renoise, eventually picked up LSDj before coming around to Nanoloop where I found my stride.

Making chip music is now an addiction. I make something every single day. I buy odd equipment (such as my yamaha fb-01) because I just want more interesting sounds. Everybody makes terrible big room house or brostep or butt rock or trance using big expensive programs and equipment, so making something with what little I had and expanding from there is what keeps me going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going...and going.

I guess that can be summarized by saying "low barrier for entry, low original cost, low relative maintenance and the allure of minimalism as well as art through adversity."