Philly

I've been on eBay since 2002 and used paypal on around 200 transactions.

You'll be fine.

logan city, UT, USA
Dire Hit wrote:
Apeshit wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but if you teach a man to fish...

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

RFLOL that was waaaay to good XD

logan city, UT, USA
Princedmorn wrote:

Just set up a paypal account and to be honest, I was a little upset because of how long it took to transfer money from my bank to the paypal account. I sent money to someone for a couple gameboy mods (now that I think of it, I should get back with him), but here is what I did.
Opened up a new checking account that is not linked with my main.
Tied that account with Paypal.
Only keep a max of $100 in that account.
If it is untrustworthy, then I'm only out $100. Not loosing everything. /shrug

thanks, i'll keep that in mind : )

logan city, UT, USA
Fudgers wrote:

i think trustworthy is the wrong word. Paypal is very reputable, and theyre not going to sell your credit card information or anything. Your mom is probably remembering the early, pre-ebay era of Paypal, where they were kind of a shadier, less secure company...

Using your credit/debit card information on Paypal is typically more secure than just directly giving it to the seller.

I think a better summary would be that Paypal is VERY buyer friendly, sometimes at a massive inconvenience to sellers. definitely two sides of the coin with that imo, an early chiptuning me got his money back from midines guy so...

i think you might've nailed that issue on the head right there, she's probably heard of, or experienced paypal's shady side back then, no wonder : /

Geneva, NY

If your online, technical financial prowess is less than that of your mother's, you should probably not have your own Paypal account yet.

it's fine, your mom is probably just worried you're going to use it to buy a chip maestro

Los Angeles, CA
sandneil wrote:

it's fine, your mom is probably just worried you're going to use it to buy a chip maestro

Said it before, I'll say it again.  heart u sandneil

Chips & Dip :3

PayPal is great tbh. Sure you have services like Google Wallet and Amazon Payments but...
1) nobody uses those
2) PayPal is a very common payment method
3) Their customer service is superb (at least from my experiences)

Plus it's much easier than having to constantly re-enter your credit card info, and just having to log in.

My parents have been using it since 2009 and they've had no trouble with it at all.

logan city, UT, USA
sandneil wrote:

haha ^_^

logan city, UT, USA
BLEO wrote:

If your online, technical financial prowess is less than that of your mother's, you should probably not have your own Paypal account yet.

my mom is just scared of things she doesn't already know and love, that's all. I AM 18, so i personally think i should have control over my bank accounts, but she still manages it, and won't let me take th reins : / besides, PayPal does take credit cards, contrary to my mom's belief that it ONLY uses credit.

Geneva, NY

OK then, putting things in perspective, I've been using Paypal since you were 5 and have never had any real issues. There was one time I sold something on eBay and they held my money until the tracking # showed it was delivered, but nothing like account hacks or whatever. Go for it.

Montreal, Canada
The8BitMachine wrote:
BLEO wrote:

my mom is just scared of things she doesn't already know and love, that's all. I AM 18, so i personally think i should have control over my bank accounts, but she still manages it, and won't let me take th reins : / besides, PayPal does take credit cards, contrary to my mom's belief that it ONLY uses credit.

Don't mean to be rude but, if you can't grow the balls to be a man at 18 years old then maybe your mom is right to not let you manage your bank account. Just saying and all.

matt's mind

if you are 18, just go to the bank and have her name taken off your account or close the custodial account and transfer funds to a new one if it just can't be taken off that simply.

then again, if she's given you all the money your account holds and wasn't just the custodian, then that isn't all that fair really. 

if you're 18, unless a court has ordered otherwise, you are your own keeper and can do as you wish with your account.  just take your ID and ask to speak to a banker (instead of a teller)

Indiana
n00bstar wrote:

Don't mean to be rude but, if you can't grow the balls to be a man at 18 years old then maybe your mom is right to not let you manage your bank account. Just saying and all.

I'm 22, and I still have my parents name on my account. I'm fortunate enough to have their help paying for school for the past four years, and I pay my school bills through that account. If they're helping me out financially, I don't see any reason to block them out of the account. idk what OP's situation is, but no shame imo

logan city, UT, USA
BLEO wrote:

OK then, putting things in perspective, I've been using Paypal since you were 5 and have never had any real issues. There was one time I sold something on eBay and they held my money until the tracking # showed it was delivered, but nothing like account hacks or whatever. Go for it.

coolbeans : )
i'll go for it.

logan city, UT, USA
n00bstar wrote:
The8BitMachine wrote:

i know : / i'm the youngest in the family and often get overlooked, my sis took control of her bank account at 18, but i'm 18 now, and she won't let me.