Australia

I've just uploaded a video on the operation of the Joey-Squinson. Check it out!

The video shows the compatibility dumping ROM's, Save files, GB Camera images and EMS flash cart writing.

Current firmware is 1.02

BennVenn Cart Writing support is finished but not yet included in 1.02 - BV1.00 is available for download which will enable BennVenn cart flashing, and you can revert to 1.02 when you're done.

https://youtu.be/oVLqxel_jMY

South Dakota

Just made a post about it then saw this. doh.
Um yeah holy crap. want want want.

matt's mind

Minneapolis, MN

I think this is the code you were looking for tongue

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4sz1t3jLj1qasthro1_500.gif[/img]

Last edited by TEOMAWKI (Apr 3, 2015 1:47 pm)

Minneapolis, MN

But anyways Benn looks amazing! Plus just got my paycheck too! So I'll be looking forward to getting one!

matt's mind

YESSSSSSS

just to make this request in public because its gotten nowhere in mod posts:  staff, we really need to update the bbcode info page (for new people at least, or old farts who forget the basics like myself).  its missing a whole lot.  i'm more than happy to do it if someone can just get me a list of what we're supporting so I can include this in the page.  from memory, we're at least missing the video/image info.

not a new feature, but we ought to fully describe what we have.  afaik, there are two people who can make these changes.   it'd take as long as thinking of something for the talking C to say...

like if you agree wink
(oh hell....  social sharing was removed?)

anyways.  BennVenn this is very cool!  totally can't wait.  you're a mad scientist

NUMBSKULL

So just to clarify, what all is this capable of flashing? Just EMS 64 and BennVenn? I'm confused about the firmware changing as well, can you provide more info on how that is done? Basically I have 3 flash carts: EMS 64, BennVenn 256, and a ASM Retro Fightercart. I'm assuming this won't be able to flash my fightercart, but I'll be able to dump the rom and save. What will I need to do to flash both my EMS and BennVenn cart?

This is seriously so awesome, really great work here. Did you know you got a writeup on RetroCollect.com?

Also, is the case/shell removable?

Australia

Hi Catskull,

Oh wow, I didn't know. Cool!

I will eventually roll my BennVenn support into the latest firmware release but for now there are two 'forks' in my firmware development. The latest official release is v1.01 (1.02 will be out very soon with updates to the flash writing algo to gain 20% increase in flashing the EMS cart)

The second beta release is for flashing BennVenn carts (BV1.00). To change firmwares you drag the firmware file to the BennVenn drive, and 3 seconds later you are running the new firmware. Likewise for reverting to v1.01.

The biggest difference with BV1.00 is that it presents 4 ROM files and 4 Save files as the BennVenn cart is divided this way. You write to the cart the same way, drag the ROM to the cart (Filenames are structured 1.GB 1.SAV 2.GB 2.SAV etc...)

The enclosure was designed with internal 'posts and sockets' and when connected they cant be separated without snapping the posts. I also use a couple of drops of glue just to be sure.

If I can get hold of a fightercart I can write support for it too. I imagine it is electrically identical to the EMS but with a different flash protocol.

I'll make a video of the firmware update and BennVenn flashing process today

NUMBSKULL

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I am so close to buying one, but on your site it says that a hardware revision is needed. So does this mean there will be a v3 (or v2.1) of the joey-squinson soon? Or is that mistaken, and it's actually talking about a firmware?

Nice to know that worst case scenario I can easily change firmwares.

So on the second beta, a bennvenn cart shows up as one rom, and one flash? And on the latest official they will show up as 4 roms, 4 savs?

I guess the issue is that the fightercarts aren't really being sold right now. I have one, but it's my main composing cart so I'm hesitant to let it up for a few weeks. Though if I could get my hands on one of your flashers, then I could update my bennvenn cart with the new rom so I don't have 4 lsdj roms with one sav each. Then I could just transfer my sav onto the bennvenn and use that while I send you my fightercart  so you can work on that. Do you think you'd be interested in some kind of a swap, where you send me a flasher and then I'll send you my fightercart, then once you're done with it, I'll just buy the flasher? Basically what I'm saying is that the only thing holding me back from buying this right now is fightercart compatibility. Sorry if that sounds sketchy or something, I just want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I invest in your flasher or an Altane.

Australia

There is/was/is a hardware mod (which enables active cart voltage control) This is useful in flashing the bennvenn carts as you currently need to pull out the cart and re-insert for each block. Its not a big issue having to cycle the cart in and out, but to produce the best product I can, I've ordered the parts and need to solder them in once they arrive. So not essential, but nice to have.

on the BV1.00 firmware the cart shows up as 4 ROM's and 4 save files on a disk drive. On the official there is only 1 ROM and 1 Save (the file size is automatically adjusted depending on the ROM on the cart) If you have a 64M bennvenn cart, you'll use only 1.GB and 1.Sav on the BV1.00 ROM. I'll make that video to clear up any confusion.

As far as the fightercart goes, It will read and write the save file without any problems. It is just the flashing that is not yet implemented.

I'm happy to swap cart for joey-squinson as you suggest, I'll need to wait on the arrival for my next batch of components though. I have enough for 10 Joey-squinsons and 5 were ordered this morning.

NUMBSKULL

Sounds good! I'll just wait to hear from you whenever you're ready!

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:19 am)

Australia

Thanks Apeshit, looks like they both (16/32) use 64K sectors and the same Intel protocol as the EMS64. Should be only a few lines of code to change to support it.

Next firmware update I'll add CFI interrogation to get sector size automatically from the Flash IC.

Australia

Hi, just an update.

For those with the Joey Squinson, the Gen3 firmware and software is available at http://bennvenn.myshopify.com/pages/downloads

This moves away from the drag n drop and back towards Gen1 style interface for the widest flash cart support

Included is the source (python), drivers and the latest firmware.

I've also documented the protocol and that is availabe too, so you can add your own flash protocol for your carts, read unusual MBC carts etc...

If you are on a Mac or Linux, the Python script is included. Install Python 3.4.3 + PyUSB and you can run it or compile into a binary.

Ben

Hello!
I just updated the firmware, and windows is looking for a driver, but there is nothing is the 'drivers' folder in the .rar file, is it normal?

Thanks
Eric

Taichung, Taiwan

I need this!