Tallahassee, FL

I'm trying to make my simple bass lines sound more interesting my changing duty cycles in a table. However, it always sounds out of time when I change duty cycles. I'm in 4/4 time. Any ideas for smoother sounding cycling?

Abandoned on Fire

What's your table look like? Are you using H commands?

Seattle, WA

Each step in the phrase is 6 steps in a table at the default groove, so depending on how you want to use your W and H commands you can get almost any timing you want. Try some of these:

Tallahassee, FL

Ok I'll try those out, thanks

Alabama

Also, be aware that the different duty cycles have different "apparent" amplitudes while you have a static envelope, so keep that in mind when working with the rhythmic side of things wink

Detroit

Throw a G00 at the top of the table and it makes it scroll at the same speed your phrase does.  You should be able to make it cycle at the exact same rhythm/tempo you desire.

Seattle, WA
The One Electronic wrote:

Throw a G00 at the top of the table and it makes it scroll at the same speed your phrase does.  You should be able to make it cycle at the exact same rhythm/tempo you desire.

Totally forgot to mention this! This is a great way to make rhythms on a different scale than regular tables, which are a lot better for just small scale stuff. If you want to do a lot of changes within every phrase step or every 2-3 phrase steps this might not be for you, but otherwise it's a great way to get changes on instruments with long decay times.

Another thing to consider is turning your instrument's automate table setting to "on." This makes it so every time you place a note with your instrument the table moves one step. If you want an evolving instrument but want more manual control over the timing this might be the way to go.