Philadelphia, United States

I've gotten my aboy successfully set up to send midi out data via lsdj. My question is: Is there any way to sync 2 instances of lsdj while also sending midi out (in this instance to a drum machine). I attempted this last night and it resulted in the slave gameboy glitching out / freezing.

Thanks!

Turku, FIN

I think you need 2 arduinoboys for this, at least theorethically it should be possible. I'm not sure if anyone has tried it?

Last edited by KeFF (Apr 22, 2015 3:13 pm)

Unsubscribe

Nope.

Unsubscribe

Long answer: You need another device that can take a note or midi cc and assign those to tap tempo AND then send midi clock. So for example I would use the line6 m5, have a lsdj midi out channel send MIDI CC 64 value 127 and then slave all your slavable devices like the 2nd lsdj running aboy in clock slave to that.

Turku, FIN

Or sacrifice one channel for tick sync.

Sweeeeeeden

If all you need is sync, you may be interested in Gijs' Master Clock Generator. I don't think you can buy or otherwise easily attain one, though.

http://gieskes.nl/master-clock-generator/

edit: Or, I guess, an Arduinoboy could be modified in hardware and software to do the same thing.

Unsubscribe

Trash80 explained to me that the dmg cpu couldnt handle both sync and midi out of the same device. Cant remember if the bottleneck was dmg serial, dmg cpu, arduino cpu or a combo of the above.

I recently tried LSDJ midi out as well, and I seem to get a lot of latency.
I tried a nex arduinoboy, then a teensybox, with two different MIDI interfaces.
There really is a noticeable latency.
Is it expected?

Thx

herr_prof wrote:

and assign those to tap tempo

what would you have to send to tap tempo?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cyberic wrote:

I recently tried LSDJ midi out as well, and I seem to get a lot of latency.
I tried a nex arduinoboy, then a teensybox, with two different MIDI interfaces.
There really is a noticeable latency.
Is it expected?

Thx

Shouldn't be any noticeable latency, no.

jefftheworld wrote:

I will try to measure it...
I simply play a kick on the GB, which also sends a N04 note, which triggers a sample in ableton live
Does ot seem correct to you?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
cyberic wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

I will try to measure it...
I simply play a kick on the GB, which also sends a N04 note, which triggers a sample in ableton live
Does ot seem correct to you?

It sounds to me like the latency is coming from your PC. Either your software or audio interface is causing output latency or your MIDI interface is causing input latency.

My setup is optimized for sub-10ms latency, so I don't notice any issues. In fact, I predominantly use my arduinoboy with hardware synths, where there isn't a computer or software to cause latency, and can confirm that the arduinoboy performs brilliantly.

If you have any sort of synth with MIDI, try testing your arduinoboy directly with that to confirm or rule out your PC or software configuration.

Last edited by jefftheworld (May 14, 2015 9:31 am)

jefftheworld wrote:

If you have any sort of synth with MIDI, try testing your arduinoboy directly with that to confirm or rule out your PC or software configuration.

OK I'll try it with my monotribe and let you know.

I have tried with the monotribe
I have set up a loop in LSDJ, with a gameboy kick and a N.
The N triggers a kick from the monotribe
I still have a noticeable latency...

Unsubscribe

try reducing the delay settings using the maxpat editor that comes in the zip. You will need to instal the max runtime to use it.