Montreal, Canada

Alright so...a series of things lately have pushed me to think a lot about netlabels. While I do like to pretend I'm the epitome of wisdom and all that, I have it on fairly good authority that I am, in fact, an asshole. So in the interest of proper research and I don't know.. let's say science, I decided to run an half-assed semi-survey with you guys. It's in two parts because of....reasons. If only one section applies to you, it's all good, all answers are appreciated. And while I do like this forum particular brand of jerkoffery and general habit of having sixty troll replies for every serious one, I'd appreciate if you'd participate in this as seriously as possible.

As an artist:
1) Do you see any inherent worth to releasing your music through a netlabel?
2) What are the three most important things you look for in a label?
3) What are the top three labels on which you'd like to have your music and why?
4) What is the percentage of the money you think should go to the label?
5) What services should the label offer? (art, mastering, physical CDs etc etc)
6) Your feelings on exclusivity and copyrights?

As a customer
1) What, if any, influence does a label has on your purchasing habits?
2) Do you prefer to buy directly from an artist, or through a label?
3) What are you top three favorite labels and why?
4) What would you consider a appropriate price range for chiptune albums?
5) Does the storefront (bandcamp, custom website, etc) influence your purchases?
6) Your opinion on physical copies? (cd, tape, vinyl, etc)
7) Your opinion on merch? (tshirts, stickers, garter belts, etc)

Milwaukee, WI

What does it matter?

Detroit

yes

Seattle, WA

People who wouldn't normally hear my music may discover it. I always check the latest Cheapbeats release whether I've heard of the artist or not, and I'm sure many people do similar things. I also feel guilty self promoting through the internet because I don't want to spam, so it's nice to have someone do that for you.
Reputation, Musical Style, Personal Relationships
3) What are the top three labels on which you'd like to have your music and why?
Cheapbeats because I keep getting rejected and it's only making me want to try harder. TBBR because Boa is a friend of mine and a brand new label gives an excellent opportunity to make my mark on something. Bleepstreet because that's the chiptune equivalent of being famous.
Never sold my music, so I have no clue.
General help on reaching your artistic vision, be that an extremely hands off approach or constant input and criticism. I want a label that wants to help me be a better me.
Everything should be creative commons anyway so whatevs.

Well known labels have great quality control and constantly introduce me to new artists.
No preference as long as the label isn't screwing anyone over.
See above list -Bleepstreet +KEATS Collective (Vanilla should just write all music ever)
I've always appreciated Electric Children's use of bandcamp to make tiered benefits. He'll have a few songs of an album up for free download, so you can always get something, or you could free download the free downloads and then buy the remaining tracks individually to get the whole release for fairly cheap, or you can buy the whole thing and get tons of bonus content.
5) Does the storefront (bandcamp, custom website, etc) influence your purchases?
I try to buy physical whenever I can, it helps support the artist better and having physical copies of album art is great.
I love it when it's done well, Infinity Shred always has rad merch and should be a shining example of having tons of options but keeping to a style and not making anything extremely generic.

Nottingham, UK

As an artist:
Yes. A serious net label will help to gather a group of like minded artists and introduce their audiences to each other.
No order: Activity. Relative coherence.  Quality of releases.
No order: Ubiktune, Inpuj, AANAAANAAANAAANA.
They're all quality netlabels that are active, coherent, and in their own way, quality.
Depends. Artists should sort this out with the label. Are they hosting the music n their own servers? Are they running at a loss?
Depends. A good label will hopefully be able to help you find those kinds of things. Providing them is a different matter
Artists should own their own work.

As a customer
If it's on a label I like, it's more likely to get my attention
I will usually buy directly from an artist if I can. but I usually discover it through a label.
Listed above
Totally depends. If an album is free and I really like it I'll usually pay anyway if the option is there. Just don't try to rip me off. I'm not paying £15 for a casette.
Just don't make it super dumb.
If I really like something I'll get a physical copy. Vinyl or tape usually. CD's seem superfluous, although I have bought them. I understand that Vinyl is expensive to produce.
If I really like you I might buy some merch. It has to actually look good though.

Hudson, MA

As an artist:

Yes and no.  There is a truth the concept of marketing your appearance by having a protege or alliance of sorts with other talented people.  While content is still king, I often find that a label will only help as much as they have to offer you.  If you're new, not very well known or not very efficient at getting the word about your album out, it may be beneficial if they have a big enough listener base or market outreach.  There's also that whole other half of a label that's supposed to work on licensing and whatnot that I've heard nothing about in regards to netlabels (which, one could argue, "lol u wot, licensing chiptune m8?")

Still wouldn't stop me from trying to get onto one of the more popular ones or one with a market outside of my region.

Quality of current content, demographic/market outreach, what else are they associated with for potential future plans.

I don't really have an order of priority, nor have I really given it much thought, but Cheapbeats, BleepStreet and Eindbaas come to mind.  I want to expand my music outside of the US.

This is entirely dependent on what effort and costs go directly towards operation of the label and their efforts to market their artists.  On the other hand, I also have literally no idea what the traditional-average percentage is supposed to be.

Distribution (online sales having a different cut versus physical sales, depending on if the label had the CD printed or if the artist paid for that out of pocket;) promotion, and advertisement at a minimum.  Anything else would be up to debate.

I know of no net label big enough to demand permanent exclusivity when it comes to artists.  ChipWIN (like them or hate them) doesn't even have permanent exclusivity and imo, I don't think they ever should.  Content is up to debate, as I would feel cheapened as a customer to buy an album which had overlapping music. 

Copyright is something I wish I could comment more on, but I certainly need more education on intellectual property concepts and laws before I say more of it.

As a customer

If the label has enough establishment and quality releases I'll often check out the album and consider purchasing it.  Otherwise, eh.

Directly from an artist, but that is not to say I won't buy from established labels.

I really haven't put much thought into that.  Cheapbeats consistently has good releases.  Everyone else I don't doubt has great releases, but I've always put the artist as the first association unless it's a compilation album.

I'm usually a $5-10 USD kind of person for album purchases.  Rarely would I turn down a free album, but at this point I can't justify not giving the artist something if possible.

I like bandcamp's concept and I use them out of convenience.  I still need to look into other storefronts.

Love it.  Digital downloads are great, infinitely less costly and equally easy to distribute; they don't sell well at shows, especially to markets outside of our typical demographic.

I'm really, really picky on most clothing merchandise.  Stickers and buttons are neat little promo pieces.  Posters are also cool.  Powerglove used to sell custom foam swords, which for anyone familiar with their shows is a cute concept.

Note:  Edited #6 on the artist half for further clarification.

Last edited by Glenntai (Apr 25, 2015 4:47 pm)

Geneva, NY

There should be a third part, "As a label."

Harrisonburg, Virginia

As an artist:

Netlabels typically have more visibility for newer artists and even established artists, and they help customers parse through the deluge of releases.

I look at the quality of previous releases on the label, ask around for the label's track record in communication with artists pre-, during, and post-release, the quality of and amount of publicity gained by using said label, how much of a cut the label will take out of sales, and how well the label fits my musical style.

Thebasebit Recordings: This is the style I'm leaning towards nowadays, and being released alongside artists like Trey, boa, and IAYD would certainly be pretty awesome. That said, I have no idea how anything behind the scenes works with this label, so I'd need to actually talk to them more thoroughly to get an idea of what they do for the artist.
Cheapbeats: Because Cheapbeats is really the biggest netlabel in the scene these days. Enough said.
8bitpeoples: Though this one's honestly a bit dead in the modern scene, it's pretty popular and one of the oldest netlabels still around. That's really it.

Like Glenn said, this really depends on what the label had to put into the production of the album to get it finished and out the door. If I get the album mastered, have artwork, track descriptions, savs, etc., then I'd be more willing to negotiate the percentage of sales (or the "fee" that needs to be paid off with sales) down a little bit.

Labels should have either an in-house masterer, or, more likely, a preferred third-party masterer ready for artists who come to them without a mastered album. Same goes for art. CDs and other merch should be handled by the label if possible, but that sort of organization wouldn't be too much to put on the artist, as long as the label communicates well with the artist so shipment of merch is timely.

Exclusivity longer than a year in the chip scene is really asking too much. Especially because most albums probably won't make what it cost to put into them, especially with the label taking a cut of the profits. The only ways an artist can make that money back is either being popular and making enough money by word of mouth/coverage, or by putting the album out on their page and eventually making enough money to break even or make a (small) profit.

As a customer

Labels definitely act as taste-makers for me with the amount of releases in the scene. I do still look out for self-releases from big artists and some smaller ones, but it's mainly netlabels like cheapbeats, data airlines, ubiktune, etc. that I look to for good releases.

I prefer to buy directly from the artist, because I know 90% of that money will be going to the artist.

Cheapbeats, thebasebit, and Ubiktune, because of the quality of releases. I can't actually afford to buy more than 1 or 2 of the albums that come out every year from all three, but they put out some of the best music in the scene, currently.

$0-10. Typically, I only listen to albums that are free more than once. Albums you have to pay more than 3 or 4 dollars for, I listen to one or two tracks part-way through, and never really listen to them again. So, a pay what you want/free or up to $5 dollars is what I actually buy/download most often.

Yes. I really only buy/download things from bandcamp, though free releases I'll download anywhere (hexawe, etc.)

I'll only buy these in-person to avoid shipping. I never buy vinyl, tapes, etc. bc I don't have a record player nor do I actually enjoy the kitsch value of having a tape. I listen to chip CDs in the car pretty often, so whenever I can get some for free at shows or buy a couple, I will.

Again, I only buy these at shows to avoid shipping. Also, you can actually see what the shirts are made out of (will they shrink or not?) and how they look instead of looking at potentially lower-quality pictures online. Pins, stickers, and patches are neat, and I try to grab some at every show I go to and enjoy it when artists bundle them in with shirts or CD orders online/at shows.

Montana

As an artist:
It seems to have more exposure than self releasing would.
Friendliness, weather not they follow things through, and what style of music they tend to release.
TBBR, 8bitpeoples and Pterodactyl Squad.
What ever covers the cost of expenses and maybe one or two out of every ten album sale.
Promotion, the physical merch, and whatever the artist doesn't know how to do.
I don't mind a exclusive run as long as I keep the rights to my music, or am given back my rights after a specified date.

As a customer
If it's a label I'm familiar with and if they consistently release stuff I enjoy, it'll usually enhance my probability to perches.
Label mostly.
8bitpeoples, and TBBR so far. Really can't think of a third.
5 dollars for an EP, and 15 or under for an album.
I usually prefer Bandcamp.
Vinyl for sure!
Love them all.

Last edited by aaroneow (Apr 26, 2015 3:27 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Very good replies so far! Some answers were totally expected, some are very not that thing I just said. Keep them coming smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As an artist:

Yes, a good netlabel can do a lot to promote your music in a way that you may be unable to as an individual.

Good understanding of advertising and promotion, a good fit for demographic and a passion for the type of music I make.

I'd have to look more into appropriate labels. I prefer a bit more of a personal connection to the label as I want to understand exactly what the label and I can offer each other. Ideally it's a mutually beneficial partnership. There are many labels that I enjoy as a consumer but I have no clue if they are truly good towards their artists.

This all depends on how much the label does to promote my work. If they simply want to upload or mirror my album to their website then I'm not sure I'd want to give any real percentage to them as they're not really earning it. On the other hand, a label that does a lot to promote my work absolutely deserves a fair percentage and for a small, indie label I'm more than willing to allow perhaps 20-30% or more depending on what they're doing.

That said, I'd want to know exactly what it is they plan on doing so that I could give them a fair percentage. This is why a strong relationship with the label is important to me as I can get a lot more feedback in that regard.

There are a lot of services that are super valid for a label but personally I'm not in need of the more technical services. Advertising and promotion is a major area of weakness for me and so anything along those lines would be useful to me.

Almost all my music thus far has been released under some form of copyleft license. Any netlabel would have to work with me to find a proper middle ground between my desire to be pro-comsumer and their desire for exclusivity and/or copyright.

As a customer

A good label advertises directly at customers and can act as a hub for music fans. I find that many of the current netlabels lack in the advertising side of things but are generally very good at selecting good artists and music to feature.

There are labels that I avoid buying from having heard bad things about their unfair commision or other practices. However, a good label is worth supporting as it helps both the artist and the general music community/scene.

Toy company is my favourite label as they pour their money back into shows and events and actually spend money on promotional material. I know much less about 8bitpeoples but their catalog is great and they have a prestige behind them. Bleepstreet gets honourable mention as their catalog is great but I know little about what they do to promote music.

I generally believe an album should sit at about $1-2 per average length song. That said, it's not a hard and fast rule and I'll pay more for something truly fantastic.

If given a choice I'll always lean towards a direct sale (custom website) storefront as I know more of the money is reaching the artist.

I enjoy physical copies but I'll avoid CDs or tapes unless they're the only choice. While I rarely listen to music on vinyl they are far more collectible and easy enough to throw on my phone (although an included download code is preferred). However, my favourite is cool, unique releases. I've personally released a lot of these types of thing (Smart cards, floppies, flash drives, NFC collectibles, etc) and they're what I look for from others as well.

I rarely wear garter belts but any cool merch gets my attention.

Tokyo, Japan

Im totally a netlabel customer, love them and have done for a long time. I see net labels as part quality filter and part curators. If you want prog awesomeness, check out ubik, if you want crazy space weirdness then kitten rock,
As a customer

A lot, pretty much all the music I listen to in the last 6 or 7 years is from a net label. Originally when I started getting into chipmusic candymind (where I found goto80 and psilodump) and monotonik (where I found virt and pink/gjier) had just closed down, retinascan (where I found Stu, Jellica and 8gb) was big for physical releases and pause (where I found alex mauer, , joshmorse, disasterpeace and norrin radd), 8bitpeoples (where I found yerzmyey, linde, random and bit shifter and mr spastic and IAYD) literally changed my life, see blip Tokyo/squaresounds. I think Ubiktune (where I found C-jeff, karfobos and fatal snipe) were just starting up. Other favorites were DWD, Kitternrock and Da heard it. Also big fan of hexawe, bleepstreet and telefuture. Also I have bought a load of cheapbeats albums

No preference but my chances of finding you if you are on a net label / were on a net label are far far higher.

Couldn't choose 3 I love to many, Recently basebit records, dataairlines and cheapbeats have been getting most of my iphones play time.

Im reluctant to pay more than about 7 bucks for digital.

Unlikely to buy if not on bandcamp, all my netlabel stuff is nicely collected there and I don't want to have to re register all my information for just one purchase.

Don't personally buy them, I am all digital for books, music and movies (oddly not for comics though)

7) Your opinion on merch? (tshirts, stickers, garter belts, et)

Love it, I have a drawer full of shirts and a gig box covered in stickers.

Atlanta, GA

As an artist:

I will definitely be wanting to release through a net label, the amount of reach of a collective or netlabel is so much more than what I could do on my own by enough for me to consign a percentage.

Noteworthiness (if I say Ubiktune or 8bitpeoples, people will go "oh yes, them.") stability (not likely to shut down soon and has a contingency or exit clause if they start heading in that direction.) and Friendliness (if you're not a dick, we good)

Basebit would be radical since I tend to entirely stray from anything resembling VGM influence, Ubiktune has a good reach and a great variety, but I don't have a #3

I would be willing to consign for up to 30% based on what the label is able to do for me in terms of advertising/promotion and collaboration with other artists as a compilation or clab release.

Preferably mastering. I often tend to do my own art and I don't care about physical media, but things like merch deals would be a great draw for me since I absolutely love designing things that people may want to put on their bodies or their laptops.

I am fine with exclusivity with exception to live performance (not recorded) in that I don't want to worry that I'm playing something from an album before I get clearance months after release. Copyright I would only extend to people trying to either re-sell or use in commercial product without explicit permission from myself AND the label.

As a customer

If you get me a garter belt for each artist on your label, I will buy all of your stuff and also wear those bitches in a side-cut skirt on stage.

artist:
1. Sure.
2. No preference really. I like the DIY ethos and I love all the people I've met through smaller labels. Though most of those guys focus on vinyl or cassettes.
3. Chipflip, datamask, 8bp for chip stuff. (where the hell did datamask go by the way?!)
4. lol idk.
5. No idea. I do a lot of stuff myself besides mastering I guess. I don't know how to master properly.

customer:
1. Labels have definitely introduced me to artists I normally wouldn't find. I've perused through many discographies looking for new stuff. I guess that's an influence.
2. Depends. If it's a label I like, sure I'll support them.
3. Touch & Go, Deathwish, Have Fun Records. Touch & Go set the standard for indie labels, Deathwish has a good following and I think they run the label well, HFR because my friend who runs it is passionate about what he does and it's very inspiring to see him and his label growing.
4. I don't know. Free to $5? If it's just a download I really don't want to pay more than $5.
5. I like bandcamp so I guess so.
6. Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I think the world of physical releases has more creative opportunities than digial (though I really love all the audio/visual release stuff i've seen from people like maxo and hizmi).
7. T-Shirts and stickers are great. Especially if you're playing shows.

As an artist:

yes. the bandcamp/twitter way of spreading music about doesn't really appeal to me much and netlabels are a good alternative imo

good music, coolness of website, nice attitude

*shrug*

money?? i dunno maybe it should all go to charity

arousing interest and hosting the thing online in a place where it might be somewhat visible for quite a long time are the main thing that i think netlabels are good for. i don't care about art, mastering or physical CDs for sure

fine whatever

As a customer

i don't really buy music sorry

i don't really buy music sorry

so hard to answer but here is a random 3: kittenrock, chimera music, mp3death. they all have good functional websites and a distinct character and type of release that is not just "the least bad / most respected-in-the-detroit-metro-area lsdj musicians we could find" or whatever

i don't think there is any particular reason why a chiptune album should cost less than any other album, but personally i won't pay money for them when there's so much good music available for free

i am not a fan of bandcamp, i don't think i much like netlabels that are just a bandcamp page or a page with links to bandcamp. also the harder it is to download the music the less likely i am to want to do it

ok but unless the music is really good i won't bother. i have a goto80 cd and a zanzan cd but that's it

no opinion really, i won't buy it though

Swansea, UK

As an artist:
Sure, if it's a good netlabel. I'm sure more people have listened to my tracks on CalmDownKidder, CatchyName, and Kittenrock than my selfreleased EPs.

Curation, great design, good web presence, linked to real world events.

Well I've had tracks on CDK and Kittenrock and would love to work with them again, but other than that:
Cheapbeats - seems pretty big, great design and curation.
Hyperwave - amazing UK artists that play live a lot. I want to be their friend. Please can I be your friend.
Ubiktune - have had some amazing releases.

That totally depends on what service they're offering. To be honest nobody is making big bucks from purist chip like I make. If either party make any money I'd be shocked. I kinda have this ethos when working on non-chip stuff (I've done soundtrack work, sessions, that kinda shit) that if they're making money I want paying but if they're not making money, I'm just happy to go along for the beers and the laughs.

Once again depends on the relationship. They should help the artist in any area they need. Some artists will need an engineer, some artists will need artwork, very few artists outside of the 1990s need CDs. ALL artists need promotion and marketing.

I think if someone is putting work into releasing and promoting your music, a certain level of exclusivity isn't just respectful, it's also common sense. On copyright, there are enough people that don't respect "All Rights Reserved and who will upload your music to YouTube that it's kind of a moot point.

As a customer
Pretty high - It's the main place I get new recommendations re: chipmusic.

Don't care, but I'm more likely to find a release through a label.

If we're talking Chip, then I suppose Pause, CDK and CheapBeats.
If we're talking all kinds of music I'd have to also include Ninjatune, Tru Thoughts and Warp.

I like pay-what-you-want and generally tip £3 if that's an option. I'll pay vinyl prices for vinyl.

Yes. Bandcamp FTW.

I'm no longer interested in CDs - I don't find them engaging at any level.
Having done tapes, I can kinda tell why they went out of fashion - Quality is... changeable. that said, at gigs they're kinda fun.

Everyone should have stickers all the time everywhere. I rarely wear branded t-shirts/hoodies so I'm not particularly interested in them, but that's more to do with my personal taste. I love art prints check out The Leap label - they do limited edition prints with each release. I really like relatively unique merch too. I've seen caps, combs, rings, cut-and-glue minifigures...