This might be a dumb question,  but I do not know very much about computers so I figured I would ask here.

I am planning on buying a cheap windows laptop in the next couple of days.  I have my eye on this one.

I am getting a PC so that I can start learning Arduino,  basically.  I am getting a Gamebuino soon and an Arduboy eventually,  and I am going to want to try and learn programming and make my own retro games and such...  so I need a computer to plug them into.  I am also interested in creating synthesizers with Arduino.

So that is the primary reason for my getting of a laptop,  for learning about,  and using Arduino.  I already have an iPad that I use for internet-ing n' stuff. 

BUT,  I figured as long as I'm getting a PC,  I could get Famitracker!  I have always wanted Famitracker.

So... My question is,  do you think the laptop in question is adequate for my purposes?  "Will it work?",  basically.  I know there are much better computers out there that can handle these things just fine,  but I just want to know if I will be able to use Famitracker and Arduino with this computer. 

Please forgive my computer ignorance...

Thanks for your help.

Melbourne

I think that'll be adequate, for sure. I use Famitracker on my crappy netbook from 5 years ago so I think it'll work just fine!

Also, that is such a good price! If I didn't already have too many laptops/tablets I'd get one myself.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If your requirements are programming an arduino and running famitracker there's basically no laptop currently available that won't work. That one you linked will work just fine.

Medina, Ohio

The one thing you gotta look out for on those cheap computers is the screen hinges. Especially with HP, Dell, and Gateway from my experience. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

Liverpool, UK

Consider a laptop bigger screen though - if you're going to be spending a few hours on it during a programming or music session. looking at a tiny 11" screen would be horrible IMO. get at least a 14".

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
calmdownkidder wrote:

Consider a laptop bigger screen though - if you're going to be spending a few hours on it during a programming or music session. looking at a tiny 11" screen would be horrible IMO. get at least a 14".

You can always plug it into a monitor for that sort of thing.

Great,  thanks everybody!

not to play devil's advocate here, but if you're going for a cheap PC laptop I would highly suggest at least one with a different keyboard layout! lots of old trackers use the numpad which the laptop you posted does not have smile

No,  that's the sort of info i need!  Could I buy/use a USB numpad perhaps?

RJL wrote:

No,  that's the sort of info i need!  Could I buy/use a USB numpad perhaps?

you could, of course, but IMO if you're buying a cheap portable device you might as well have it be all in one - just my personal preference, of course! smile

Liverpool, UK
jefftheworld wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

You can always plug it into a monitor for that sort of thing.

Then he'll need to buy an extra monitor with a HDMI input - and this laptop has graphics built into the Motherboard and a Celeron processor - it'll probably run like a bag of shit plugged into an external monitor.

gameboy musicians complaining about writing music on an 11 inch screen? smile

i used a netbook with an 11 inch screen, no numpad and a 1st gen atom cpu as my main computer for about 3 years... it is remarkable how quickly you get used to whatever you actually have - just think, people used bbc micros and apple 2s with no complaints, once upon a time! as long as you don't constantly compare it to other people's computers you'll find that it's not too much of a problem, i think

Milwaukee, WI
RJL wrote:

This might be a dumb question,  but I do not know very much about computers so I figured I would ask here.

I am planning on buying a cheap windows laptop in the next couple of days.  I have my eye on this one.

I am getting a PC so that I can start learning Arduino,  basically.  I am getting a Gamebuino soon and an Arduboy eventually,  and I am going to want to try and learn programming and make my own retro games and such...  so I need a computer to plug them into.  I am also interested in creating synthesizers with Arduino.

So that is the primary reason for my getting of a laptop,  for learning about,  and using Arduino.  I already have an iPad that I use for internet-ing n' stuff. 

BUT,  I figured as long as I'm getting a PC,  I could get Famitracker!  I have always wanted Famitracker.

So... My question is,  do you think the laptop in question is adequate for my purposes?  "Will it work?",  basically.  I know there are much better computers out there that can handle these things just fine,  but I just want to know if I will be able to use Famitracker and Arduino with this computer. 

Please forgive my computer ignorance...

Thanks for your help.

Just go to Wal-Mart and buy whatever. It's 2015.

Abandoned on Fire
TSC wrote:

Just go to Wal-Mart and buy whatever. It's 2015.

This.  Any new PC is going to have way more power and capability than you could possibly need.

Madriz, Supain

As long as its white, youre good to go.

TX

I would steer clear of Windows 8 if *at all* possible, but maybe that's just me. But yeah, chiptune stuff doesn't require much power (kinda the point!), so get whatever you can afford.