Geneva, NY

I've been using an Acer lappy with an 11.5" screen for years now. Can't even imagine using something bigger. Bigger screen = bigger laptop, which for me really kills portability.

egr wrote:

Any new PC is going to have way more power and capability than you could possibly need.

Not if it's a laptop and you want to play games.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brother Android wrote:

I would steer clear of Windows 8 if *at all* possible, but maybe that's just me. But yeah, chiptune stuff doesn't require much power (kinda the point!), so get whatever you can afford.

Anyone who dislikes Windows 8 but enjoys Windows 7 is being silly. With 3 minutes of configuration it's far superior to the older version.

TX

Either I never figured out how to configure it, or "superior" is debatable.

DISCLAIMER: I hate all forms of change & am a sad child inside

Last edited by Brother Android (May 20, 2015 6:31 pm)

As a full time user of Windows 8, I suggest you avoid it.  There are some neat features, but there are a good amount of problems and Windows 7 is high perfect out of the box.  Either way, you should update to Win10 when it's released.

Medina, Ohio
Brother Android wrote:

I would steer clear of Windows 8 if *at all* possible

I don't think that really matters since windows 10 will be free and is coming out rather soon.

dsv101 wrote:

I don't think that really matters since windows 10 will be free and is coming out rather soon.

It's only free for the first year.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brother Android wrote:

Either I never figured out how to configure it, or "superior" is debatable.

DISCLAIMER: I hate all forms of change & am a sad child inside

Basically you want to turn all the metro/modern UI junk off and put the start menu back. Aside from that it has better performance than Windows 7 and lots of slick features that Windows 7 wishes it has. Superior is not debatable in this instance.

Beware wrote:

As a full time user of Windows 8, I suggest you avoid it.  There are some neat features, but there are a good amount of problems and Windows 7 is high perfect out of the box.  Either way, you should update to Win10 when it's released.

What problems does it have, aside from the metro UI and lack of start menu (both of which can be solved in a couple minutes)? I've not had any issues with Windows 8 aside from the annoying driver signing stuff that Windows Vista and 7 both also have.

Feryl wrote:
dsv101 wrote:

It's only free for the first year.

It's free if you register within the first year, just to clarify. You won't be limited to using it for only one year.

Unsubscribe

"Windows 8 is so unhipster its now mega hipster" Guy who doesnt understand what hipster means.

france

If it's for development purpose you should get a bigger laptop.
If it's for music tracker small one are fine.
2GB of ram is small for laptop, but definitely it will only be a problem if you do Internet, dev, tracker at the same time. 4GB is better.
32GB of ssd is fast but really small, not a problem if you already have a USB hard drive.
You don't need a speedy drive for what you plan to do.

With what you have said, I should go and buy a two years old 14 inch dell/lenovo pentium laptop with 4G of ram with a large hard drive 250GB. Double check it with five YouTube stream to see if it is noisy and healthy after five minute. And if it's okay on this side you will have a laptop which will have the same CPU power with a better keyboard, more disk, more ram.

NC in the US of America
Feryl wrote:
egr wrote:

Any new PC is going to have way more power and capability than you could possibly need.

Not if it's a laptop and you want to play games.

Milwaukee, WI

God this place sucks.

Thanks for you insight,  yoyz2k!

Well tomorrow's payday and I can be impatient so I'm just going to swing by Best Buy and pick one up after work.

It sounds like it should be adequate for my purposes,  but down the road I may decide to upgrade to something better.

Madriz, Supain
RJL wrote:

Thanks for you insight,  yoyz2k!

Well tomorrow's payday and I can be impatient so I'm just going to swing by Best Buy and pick one up after work.

It sounds like it should be adequate for my purposes,  but down the road I may decide to upgrade to something better.

Remember: buy a white one. If you buy a black or silver one everybody will think you know nothing or use Ubuntu. WHITE.

What about blue?

I'm so happy I got Famitracker!  It sounds beautiful!

Madriz, Supain

blue is so 2016. well done.