France

MusicMon: http://dhs.nu/files.php?t=single&ID=52

This software is strange, it's one of the most user-friendly when it concerns instruments creations, in comparison to other chiptune soundtrackers (like maxymizer), with every thing graphical. But on the other hand the tracking part is sometimes counter intuitive, with some buttons with no label. I still don't understand what are the "keys" boxes in the bottom right corner. It seems it's related to the instruments but what is the use of it?

I can't find a decent manual, the readme is only a changelog with only a few tips for how to use it.

Here are some notes I've made about it, if you want to give it a try:

For editing a track, type the "end" key on your keyboard, then you'll enter edit mode. The editable track will get a green vertical line across it.

You have 2 tracks for playing digi-sounds (samples). You can load and save sample with the "SAM" option on the top left box. When you have a sample, you can switch between synth-sounds (chiptune) and digi-sounds with the blue-green "s" or "d" button on the columns between tracks.
Synth-sounds will get C--1 D--1 ... D--2 notations, while Digi-sounds will get a sample icon with a number after it so you'll easily recognise them.

The magenta button on the far right (below "sound edit" button) is for muting notes while you're playing them (it's pretty useless in my opinion).

The three columns under the "sound edit" button are for sound level of each track. You can also mute tracks by clicking on them (they will get a magenta rectangle around them).

I don't know what the keys buttons under the sound level columns are for.

When in sound edit mode, you can get the SID option by right-clicking on the SID button.

You can create an instrument with a long sound waveform and a short noise at the beginning by selecting "sound", shaping the wave, then select the little "n" below and define a short length with the LEN box.

Last edited by garvalf (May 21, 2015 12:13 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada

Which emulator are you using ? For me Undo is Page down (and not end) and Help is page up in STeem !
---
-You can switch between sounds and digis by pressing backspace on the ST (which I didnt find which key it was on a modern keyboard)
-You can also use 1-2-3 on the numpad to mute channel 1-2-3 (of course) instead of clicking the volume bars.
-I dont know what the keys are for too (lol will try to ask gwemmy, stu or cerror on this one)
-When using Buzz the Depth act as a pitch in the AMD section (to the right of Amplitude Waveform)
-You can viceversa the LEN by clicking S instead of N
-The first button in the pitch bend (s) is the Portamento
-If you click the little button between the arrow and the S/N buttons you can edit the Noise in the waveform if you hold Control when you are doing your amplitude or Hold Shift for the sound
-The arrow button drops 1 octave in the sound
-The number over the LEN box is the pitch for the Noise (perfect for kick drums)
-H is B
-------------
If I find other tips (or if I see an answer for the "keys") I will drop it in this thread !!! wink
Really happy to see some Musicmon enthusiasts here !!! big_smile

Last edited by XyNo (May 22, 2015 2:42 pm)

The Rubber Man

Garvalf:
Hehe, one day You have to come to Silly Venture party along with other guys from France, and we can sit among 20 beer-cans and I will try to explain the prog to You. wink
I have to admit I like the program very much. I use nothing more, for the Atari ST chiptunes, actually. It roxx. wink

Last edited by YERZMYEY (May 24, 2015 9:26 pm)

France

@XyNo: Thank you for the additional informations, I'll make great use of them. I'm using the Hatari emulator, it's probably using different shortcuts. I must take this into account if I want to maintain a short tutorial.

@Yerzmyey: for sure I'd really like to get a beer at the Silly Ventury with you! Do you know what are those "keys" in MusicMon btw?

The Rubber Man

Garvalf:
Drop me an e'mail, if required, with those questions; I have less time now for this kind of activity (or even at all, for anything) and I will try to help. I write something using the prog anyway, lately.
OK, see ya.

Last edited by YERZMYEY (May 28, 2015 7:43 am)

France

I've looked further how to use MusicMon. I discovered in the amplitude waveform that green is a mix of noise and sound according to the settings in panel below the amplitude waveform while orange and white will make "pure" sound and noise (as XyNo explained earlier).

When you save, SAM is for samples (digit), while KIT is for sound kit of several instruments. I didn't manage to save an individual instrument yet and load only one.