Earth
Fearofdark wrote:

(I actually don't get why more people don't use uCollective; seems the only thing it's missing is "more people")

It's pretty inexplicable. Sam has done some good work over there -- it's ten times better than 8bc. People say that maybe it's because the social aspect of chipmusic had moved to Facebook, which seems like a dark and dystopian future if you ask me.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:45 pm)

California

I poke around occasionally, but yeah for whatever reason the music section just doesn't feel as inviting. Thing is I don't have a huge problem with that though, since this place was designed to be a discussion forum first and not a music archive like 8bc. Most of my chip listening happens on Soundcloud or Bandcamp nowadays, for better or for worse

Abandoned on Fire

No, but I don't listen to tracks on Soundcloud either.  If something isn't packaged up with other tracks as an "official release" I don't really pay attention to it and assume it's a demo or a WIP.

Last edited by egr (May 29, 2015 4:17 pm)

Fearofdark wrote:

(I actually don't get why more people don't use uCollective; seems the only thing it's missing is "more people")

True. I think the thing with ucollective is that not many people know it exists or if they hear/read "uCollective," they have no idea that it's a thing for chiptune/8bit/etc.

And soundcloud, well, is soundcloud lol XD

Feryl wrote:

Wow guys! There's no 8BC to go to, all we have is this and BandCamp.

Sometimes I check out a track or two, mostly if I recognize the artist. But I do look pretty regularly.

I'm actually surprised at how many other people aren't listening to tracks on here tbh because this is exactly what I was thinking - this place is pretty much the only remembered community specific location for chipmusic on the internet now, so I thought listening to tracks here would be more common  o_O

Last edited by an0va (May 29, 2015 4:22 pm)

Earth
Feryl wrote:
breakphase wrote:

It's pretty inexplicable. Sam has done some good work over there -- it's ten times better than 8bc. People say that maybe it's because the social aspect of chipmusic had moved to Facebook, which seems like a dark and dystopian future if you ask me.

At first glance the layout doesn't seem ten times better than 8BC to me, but I don't use the site, so maybe I'm wrong.

I thought this was the main regrouping site after 8BC died. Facebook is Facebook.

Well yes, the layout is a bit.. Busy? But it's totally solid (not broken in a bunch of random places), doesn't have downtime, features mp3 uploads on the front page, it has an adaptive layout for mobile  devices, there's a radio feature, and it now has an API for accessing music, pictures, user profiles, comments, and I'm probably forgetting something. That means the interface can be whatever you want it to be. It's a modern version of 8bc.

England

yes

here are 2 highlights from todays listening sesh:

http://chipmusic.org/wedanced/music/tension-nanoloop

http://chipmusic.org/vcmg/music/illjoy

Joliette, QC, Canada
n00bstar wrote:

The interface is crap, the rating system is ass, there's no quality control, every time I click on something I'm disappointed by what sounds like an unfinished work in progress someone gave up on.

This !!! Especially the rating system !!!
Soundcloud pretty much replaced 8BC and all that shiet ! smile

IL, US
Feryl wrote:

I thought this was the main regrouping site after 8BC died.

this site was started while 8bc was very much still alive, by (mostly) ex-8bc staff... wasn't ever meant as 8bc 2.0, more of a redirection towards what we felt was important: the free exchange of advice/tips/troubleshooting/etc, so if people came here expecting it to be the new 8bc they were always going to be disappointed ... the decision to include a music section was there from the start, but it was also considered to be a less important feature of the site since by 2010 there were many other options available for someone to upload tracks and share them. part of this thought was a reaction against the perceived changes in atmosphere on 8bc after the introduction of the top ten charts, it seemed to bring in a lot of negative behavior (for example people making dozens of dummy accounts in attempts to get their preferred tracks on the charts and excessive amounts of severely harsh comments on tracks, etc)... i personally don't listen to pretty much any individual tracks on here, but i was the same way on 8bc too, after 2008 or so...

Los Angeles, CA

I listen if I recognize a name, or I mess up and click a track on accident.  Say what you want about the music section, but it's one of the best places to just put an NSF and have it listenable with no rendering on your end smile

NC in the US of America
catskull wrote:

Rarely. Really only if something catches my eye, has a high rating, or an artist is familiar. Seems like half the time it's just bit rave fruity loops though.

Mrwimmer wrote:

I listen if I recognize a name, or I mess up and click a track on accident.  Say what you want about the music section, but it's one of the best places to just put an NSF and have it listenable with no rendering on your end smile

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:45 pm)

nope

Earth

I listen about once a week, in hopes of new Beastmode, but there's usually something worth hearing. I check out Soundcloud too, but it moves very slowly. I follow like 20 peeps, but how often can each user upload a new song? Especially if they're  are trying to make albums.

Last edited by breakphase (May 30, 2015 2:32 pm)

much prefer checking the releases section for finished bodies of works, not a big fan of sketches