Arkansas

Hey, hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I've just recently gotten LSDJ and have been playing around with it a lot. I notice that when using the envelope on the sounds, it doesn't make a smooth fade, rather makes a click each time. Is there a way to fix this, or is it just something that happens and is a part of the whole chiptune sound?

thanks

Well, that would be the limitations of 4bit sounds probably wink

California

You can probably minimize them in post production, but it's pretty hard to completely remove them because that's just what the Gameboy does when it produces the sound. What most people end up doing is embracing them or carefully structuring their songs in a way that makes them less obvious, and sometimes if you just have enough things playing at once they get covered up pretty well already.

Arkansas

Yeah. I've started this reggae-esque track and I've been making each individual pattern in LSDJ, then recording them into FL Studio and arrange them in there. That way, I can also add effects such as reverb and delay if I need to.

Toronto, Canada

embrace the click

Unsubscribe

use your groove settings to make the click happen on a noise transient.

Arkansas

As mentioned, I am new to LSDJ, how do I go about doing that?

Bristol, UK

Never use the E command, just clone the instrument when you want to change the envelope.

Chicago
VCMG wrote:

You can probably minimize them in post production

Any suggestions for this? Low-pass filter? Compression? Reverb?

Evil Scientist wrote:

Never use the E command, just clone the instrument when you want to change the envelope.

In my experience, you still get clicks if, in the instrument settings, the envelope is set to decay or crescendo.

My understanding is that the second digit of the Envelope parameter specifies how many ticks until the volume is changed (i.e. 83 means start at volume 8, and decrease by 1 every 3 ticks). Can someone confirm this?

Michigan

In my experience, the clicking comes from panning or wave-table synthesis. As many have said, you can utilize the click by adding it to percussive tones. This would all have to done with tables and experimentation.

To the dude that said never use E commands... Like, wut? That's terrible advice to a newcomer. Always use E commands. You can side-chain, do echoes, and make meaningful expressive instruments with the E command alone.

Michigan

Edit: double post

Last edited by infodrive (Jun 4, 2015 4:26 pm)

California
QuietMind wrote:
VCMG wrote:

You can probably minimize them in post production

Any suggestions for this? Low-pass filter? Compression? Reverb?

Actually I don't know how to do this either, but I do know there's people who have more or less figured it out. imo though it's much more rewarding to embrace and write around the clicks than to fight against them.

QuietMind wrote:

My understanding is that the second digit of the Envelope parameter specifies how many ticks until the volume is changed (i.e. 83 means start at volume 8, and decrease by 1 every 3 ticks). Can someone confirm this?

I'm not sure if the digit corresponds exactly to number of ticks, but that makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by VCMG (Jun 4, 2015 6:42 pm)

Write your own sound engine.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have in the past manually removed clicks via Audacity by redrawing segments of the waveform. It's tedious, though.

Melbourne

Oh man, that would be painful!

Unsubscribe

im pretty sure the envelopes aren't tick based, its using the built into hardware envelope so you have to just use the timing of your note and your ear to finagle something close to rhythmic coincidence.