south of london
DropMontage wrote:

Just a thought, what if instead of adding depth, you added width for the extra components and jacks? With a slightly more ergonomic feel, almost a cross between GBC and GBA, more so rooted to the GBC design. Also what are you using for 3d modeling, and who are you getting your quotes from? Earlier this year I found a Maker Space near me which is about $50 a month, but gives me access to laser cutting and 3d printing. Worth looking into, if not for mass production at least prototype runs for 3d prints and pcb design. I realize this could be an entirely new project altogether, and in no way mean to diffuse your project, as it is looking pretty good so far.

Thanks! It'd create a lot of extra work as it would involve moving all of the button and ports and it'd make the device even bigger, unless you're picturing something different to me. I'm designing everything in autoCAD. There's a space here but the printer is broken at the moment and it's an old reprap model anyway- will probably need higher precision and thinner layers for creating a mold pattern when I cast it in resin. This is my first big project so I'll maybe consider doing something more ambitious when I've finished this.

Connecticut

Cool, thought I'd chuck some thoughts out there anyway. Either way I'm definitely interested in this project, and I'm also currently working on resin casting cases. I'd love to see this come to life.

south of london
egr wrote:
loudaslife wrote:

A nice touch would be to make sure a frontlight kit will fit without any modification to the case.

Excellent idea.

Agreed. I've never fitted a frontlight kit from kitsch bent, what would need changing in the design? Will be ordering one in a couple of weeks.

DropMontage wrote:

Cool, thought I'd chuck some thoughts out there anyway. Either way I'm definitely interested in this project, and I'm also currently working on resin casting cases. I'd love to see this come to life.

Are you posting progress online anywhere? Would love to see!

Connecticut
jam wrote:
egr wrote:

Excellent idea.

Agreed. I've never fitted a frontlight kit from kitsch bent, what would need changing in the design? Will be ordering one in a couple of weeks.

DropMontage wrote:

Are you posting progress online anywhere? Would love to see!

Currently no, just started this project with GBA in mind. Any progress and 3d designs I make will be uploaded on Thingiverse and here. As far as the front light kits go, they fit well in the original GBC case, with two small(28 awg?) leads coming from the left and right sides. Should be easy to work in, especially if you're bonding the frontlight to the LCD via LOCA.

Michigan

Looks good, I think the start/select buttons look a little out of place though. Maybe they should be bigger?

Kansas
powersupply wrote:

Looks good, I think the start/select buttons look a little out of place though. Maybe they should be bigger?

The Start/Select holes are probably designed to re-use the existing buttons from the GBC. Changing them would require designing and manufacturing new silicone pads/buttons (which is possible, but probably too much effort).

Alabama

I have access to free 3D printers at my Uni, so I can do some proto prints. FOR FREE.

south of london
MaxDolensky wrote:

I have access to free 3D printers at my Uni, so I can do some proto prints. FOR FREE.

That's great, I hopefully will in September as well! Will have to see if I need to make friends with an engineering student first though.
It's probably gonna be longer than I thought before I can make the first prototype unfortunately. Need to wait for panel mount ports for charging, batteries, jack sockets, frontlight kits and screws to arrive first!

Last edited by jam (Aug 26, 2015 2:25 pm)

Kansas
jam wrote:

Need to wait for panel mount ports for charging,

Speaking of, did you have anything in mind for that already?

Micro USB seems like the go-to charging connector for this type of thing. However, my searches for panel mount Micro USB connectors in the past have shown they're always expensive (~$10 a piece) and physically bulky. It might be simpler to use a PCB mount connector (either on a breakout or built into the LiPo charging board).

Or you could use a different type of connector entirely. That's an option.

south of london
loudaslife wrote:
jam wrote:

Need to wait for panel mount ports for charging,

Speaking of, did you have anything in mind for that already?

Micro USB seems like the go-to charging connector for this type of thing. However, my searches for panel mount Micro USB connectors in the past have shown they're always expensive (~$10 a piece) and physically bulky. It might be simpler to use a PCB mount connector (either on a breakout or built into the LiPo charging board).

Or you could use a different type of connector entirely. That's an option.

Think I'm just gonna go for full USB port, there's space on the case and I don't think it'll compromise anything else. If I can find suitable panel mount mini/micro USB connectors at a reasonable price I'll definitely opt for them instead. Really don't want to jury rig it/be using glue!
There's a panel mount connector on the charging board I'm using but I'm not sure of a way to use it easily without extending it.

south of london

Detail hasn't been removed, just can't be bothered to convert the whole wireframe to a solid right now. But yeah, cut quite a bit off the top and bottom so the shape has changed slightly! Just realised I forgot to do the speaker holes. They still exist, just not rendered, this is just to show the change in outline:

ohgodno, Indiana

I'd really like one of the clear ones

Abandoned on Fire

Very excited about these!  Any news?

south of london
egr wrote:

Very excited about these!  Any news?

Not many developments since the last post, tweaked the design slightly but not enough to warrant a new render yet. I'm in the middle of moving at the moment but hopefully jack sockets, batteries etc will arrive within the next month and I'll be able to print the first prototype case in the next 8 weeks!

Abandoned on Fire

Excellent!  smile

San Diego

Really cool design and idea, I'm currently in school taking intro to both AutoCAD and Solidworks.