(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j
n00bstar wrote:
nanode wrote:

Also, just want to point out, make sure you have permission from the artist to actually cover the song.

It's a lot more complicated than just asking when we're talking about established musicians unfortunately. A lot of songs rights are owned by the publishers or performing rights agencies and not the artists themselves. They are usually 100% unwilling to just "give permission" and will instead demand to be paid. Some songs are available for mechanical licensing, which costs around 10$ for the license and then around 8 cents royalty per copies sold. If the songs is not available for mechanical licensing, you need to deal with the publisher directly and it will be a similar process with similar costs.

So let's say your compilation has 10 songs, and all songs are up for mechanical licenses. You need to pay 100$ upfront for licensing costs, and then pay advance royalties on an estimated number of sales. So let's say you sell 1000 copies, that will be about 8 cents X 10 songs X 1000 copies = 800$ to distribute to various agencies and publishers. So all in all, for an estimated 1000 sale of a 10 song album, you're looking at a 900$ investment.

Since the artists participating in this compilation are doing it for free/charity and this will be sold through your bandcamp page, you're the one who is dealing with all monetary aspects of this. Thus, it should be you who is in charge of securing rights and paying the appropriate entities to make sure the whole thing goes off without a hitch.

On that note, if I were you I would wait until you get a finished song before hunting for rights. There are always a few people who are not able to deliver their song for various reasons so you don't want to pay for licenses that are not going to be used.

Since you're aiming at a charity, you might be able to get a few songs (or all, if you're lucky) for free if you present your project to the publishers properly. You'd need to put together a little document and make your case.

Anyways. Just my two cents. Or you can do what most people do and just release the songs because "this is just chipmusic" and all.

That said. I think I'm gonna hop on this particular bandwagon. There's more than a few 80s songs I've been itching to chip-cover. I'll fill out the form.

That's good to know!

I will definitely keep that in mind

And glad to have you on board with the project!

Last edited by nanode (Sep 7, 2015 3:53 pm)

nanode wrote:
Jamcloud7727 wrote:

I'm still learning, but it'd be great to try and make a track. I'm thinking Egyptian Lover....

Go for it! Everyone is welcome!

Thanks, I'm covering Egyptian Lovers 'Freak-A-Holic' nice to mix in some 80's club music along with the anthems right?

NC in the US of America

You can never have too many 8bit remixes of take on me

SketchMan3 wrote:

You can never have too many 8bit remixes of take on me

Unfortunately for this, 1 is the max tongue

I'm still waiting for the one person to do "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley

Montreal, Canada
nanode wrote:

EDIT: WE HAVE FOUND SOMEONE TO DO ART AND MASTERING!
n00bstar has graciously offered his services for this project! Big shoutout to him and his pals over at Cheapbeats! heart

Well I left Cheapbeats a while ago, but yes... do support the label! Actually.. just buy their tshirts cause I still make money off of that.  wink

Welp, the person doing "Take On Me" dropped out (wow that was fast xD)

I'm dropping my remix of "Kids in America" and going for it because WHY THE FUCK NOT.

Montreal, Canada

Kids in America > Take On Me

(just saying wink )

n00bstar wrote:

Kids in America > Take On Me

(just saying wink )

True, but I just had too many good ideas for Take On Me.

Never mind nanoloop is being an asshole and won't link with LSDJ
BACK TO KIDZ IN AMERICA

Clermont-Ferrand, France
nanode wrote:

I'm still waiting for the one person to do "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley

WANT

PleaseLoseBattle wrote:
nanode wrote:

WANT

GRATZ ON GETTING IT

I just wanted to thank EVERYONE for the mass involvement in this project!

Let's make some change happen! heart

South Korea

This is going to be so silly, I cant even. Also, Im not going to contact or pay anyone for permission, so if thats not cool, I would have to withdraw.

The perfect occation to remix my favorite song; "Girls Just Want to Have fun"! heart
It first came out in '79, but seeing as it's Cyndi Lauper's version from '83 I will be aiming at, I assume it will be alright?

Last edited by Laffe the Fox (Sep 10, 2015 12:49 pm)

Laffe the Fox wrote:

The perfect occation to remix my favorite song; "Girls Just Want to Have fun"! heart
It first came out in '79, but seeing as it's Cyndi Lauper's version from '83 I will be aiming at, I assume it will be alright?

As long as it's from the 80s!

nanode wrote:
Laffe the Fox wrote:

The perfect occation to remix my favorite song; "Girls Just Want to Have fun"! <3

As long as it's from the 80s!

Okay, well sign up for that one! Already sent in the form. ;)