Toronto, Canada

Hey everybody, so I was looking into doing the LSDJ keyboard controller mod. I have a ps/2 keyboard, a gameboy color (as well as a DMG i can use) and a gbc to gbc/dmg link cable. I notice most of the LSDJ keyboard mods are with a DMG, but I've seen a few that use a gameboy color.

Would I be able to successfully do the mos with the GBC, and that link cable?  is there a specific link cable I need to use?

thanks!

Michigan

The cable needs to be able to supply power. So just make sure you get one with all five of six wires connected and you can do it for whatever gb you want.

Toronto, Canada
Jazzmarazz wrote:

The cable needs to be able to supply power. So just make sure you get one with all five of six wires connected and you can do it for whatever gb you want.

can you explain the wiring thing a little more to me? >.<

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Starshine wrote:

The Game Boy link cables don't have all 6 potential pins wired. Most only have 4 wired; ground, clock and the two data lines. More rarely, some cables have a 5th wire that connects to the Game Boy's 5v pin.

The keyboard needs power to operate and if you want to have the Game Boy power the keyboard, you'll need to find a cable that has that 5th pin wired or you'll need to modify one of the 4 wire cables by opening the shell around the pins and moving the wire connected to the data-out that you won't use to the 5v pin.

The other option, while perhaps less than ideal, is to wire a battery clip or external power supply to the pins for ground and 5v. In my experience most keyboards are totally happy running at 6v, so a battery clip with two A-type batteries of any size would work, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Sep 17, 2015 2:50 am)

South UK

For my keyboard I used the cable from a 4 player adapter, as that already had the power lines wired in. Works like a charm too!

Sweeeeeeden

For DMG style cables, you can typically do trash80's pin swap mod. GBC cables on the other hand are typically injection molded and you can't really access the pins without destroying the connector. I haven't seen the +5V pin connected in any official Nintendo cable. (Apart from the 4 player adapter as mentioned.) For what's it worth, I have seen it in some 3rd party cables. I don't remember which brand/type to look out for, but I can check later. I think I saw it in a cable that had both DMG and GBC plugs on both ends, (split cable) and the +5V pin connected only on the GBC plug. But I couldn't swear on it.

Tras80's mod: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trash80/s … 324137185/

Toronto, Canada
jefftheworld wrote:
Starshine wrote:

The Game Boy link cables don't have all 6 potential pins wired. Most only have 4 wired; ground, clock and the two data lines. More rarely, some cables have a 5th wire that connects to the Game Boy's 5v pin.

The keyboard needs power to operate and if you want to have the Game Boy power the keyboard, you'll need to find a cable that has that 5th pin wired or you'll need to modify one of the 4 wire cables by opening the shell around the pins and moving the wire connected to the data-out that you won't use to the 5v pin.

The other option, while perhaps less than ideal, is to wire a battery clip or external power supply to the pins for ground and 5v. In my experience most keyboards are totally happy running at 6v, so a battery clip with two A-type batteries of any size would work, but your mileage may vary.

would it be possible to power the keyboard separately, using some sort of battery contraption?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Starshine wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

would it be possible to power the keyboard separately, using some sort of battery contraption?

Read the third paragraph that you just quoted! ;p

Toronto, Canada
jefftheworld wrote:
Starshine wrote:

Read the third paragraph that you just quoted! ;p

oh, I apologize!
this will still work with a GBC, correct?