NUMBSKULL

The 8-bit Guy did a little video review of this on Youtube. He really barely scratches the surface, but it's cool to see all the same! Check it out

Michigan

Wow. 4500 views in only a few hours. 0_0

NUMBSKULL

The initial batch sold out a while back. The good news is that they are now back in stock! And even better, they're gold plated now! Snatch em up while they're hot

http://catskullelectronics.com/32kcart

Last edited by catskull (Mar 11, 2017 5:55 am)

Swansea, UK
catskull wrote:

The initial batch sold out a while back. The good news is that they are now back in stock! And even better, they're gold plated now! Snatch em up while they're hot

http://catskull.net/shop/32kcart

Mine arrived yesterday! These carts are great - really professional, I got two both working great.

I tried to swap these out into GBA shells, but didn't realise that the shells are a slightly different shape, and the GBA used the shape of the bottom of the cart to tell whether to launch as GBA or GB games. So the boards fit into a GBA shell just fine, but I'll need to fill in the little groove in the GBA shell so that my SP recognises these carts as GB games.

NUMBSKULL

Hey, sorry, I should specify that shouldn't I? I mention it in the video I posted in OP, but I realized I never actually wrote it down.

Glad they got to you safe though! Thanks for the feedback!

Swansea, UK
catskull wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

No worries! really enjoying these creative tools! big_smile

Just ordered one with mGB. Hoping it will stop the backlight dimming that occurs on my pocket while using an ems64. By the by, anyone else get significant dimming while running an ems in a backlit pocket? I would think these little carts will draw less power than the ems. Fingers crossed, excited either way.

NUMBSKULL

I'm trying to think.... I don't specifically remember any significant dimming on my pocket with my EMS cart. Which backlight are you using? Also the EMS carts have gone through several revisions, maybe they increased power efficiency? My EMS cart is from 2010 or 2009 I think, so it's fairly old.

Either way, the 32k cart should use as little power as possible. The datasheet for the eeprom says it only uses 12mA, so basically nothing. I would be shocked if it caused dimming at all.

Michigan
error wrote:

Just ordered one with mGB. Hoping it will stop the backlight dimming that occurs on my pocket while using an ems64. By the by, anyone else get significant dimming while running an ems in a backlit pocket? I would think these little carts will draw less power than the ems. Fingers crossed, excited either way.

Yes, others experience this. It also increases over time by how much it dims. The 32k carts are as close to an official cart design as you can get so they will dim as much as your Tetris cart does.

Anyone tried flashing these with Joey Joebags? What cart type should i choose?

Michigan
rebb wrote:

Anyone tried flashing these with Joey Joebags? What cart type should i choose?

Try "GB(C) Generic >"
Don't forget to erase it first.
What are the options once you highlight GB(C) Generic?

I only got:
Get Save Ram
Write Save Ram
Dump Rom

Using 3.15b Software and Firmware

Last edited by rebb (Jul 5, 2016 10:53 am)

Michigan

I'll shoot an email to benn. It's  simple ROM only, no MBC cart.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Sorry for this necro bump smile good idea, have been thinking/needing this sort of gadget for a while. There is the Midibox.org midi mapper project that's real flexiable, mimicks MidiOx in channel routing.
http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=hom … idi_mapper
And another, the MB Router for handling midi interface routing.
http://ucapps.de/midi_router.html
  But what I'm kind of thinking about is scaled back, closer to your concept. A small circuit (for modding) to transpose the IN channel,  and filtering of certain messages like active sensing. Mainly I'd like to build units to use with some of my keyboard controllers, being able to route channel 1(the default or only channel for alot of KBs) to any other channel on the fly.
  One feature that might be of use is having a KB split to selectable channels. I.E. upper end to Channel 1, lower end to Channel 2.
  I guess that alot of my wish list can be handled with the midibox NG build, plus added features like CC knobs and switches which would be nice with a really plain KB. IDK, still kicking around ideas :\
Yogi

NUMBSKULL

Hey Yogi, thanks for your post. I've actually been working on this quietly for a bit now, more as a personal hobby project than anything. For my initial version, here's what I'm shooting for:
- Each of the 4 outputs are channel selectable. Regardless of input channel.
- Volume setting or offset per channel. So you could set the output volume of CH1 to 127 (max), or you could increase it by a factor. Maybe a percentage of the original volume, or by a constant. That way dynamics may still work.
- Pitch Offset. This will probably be a percentage. Almost like a pitch wheel but more fixed.
- As cheap as possible. I'm hoping for $50 including a semi-decent case.
- Actually purchasable. Seems like most devices like this are harder to buy, like the two you posted. No PM'ing people on forums.

Everything is/will be released as free and open source under GPLv2. If you or other want to add your own features, that will totally be supported! And contributions back to the "official" firmware would be nice!

I've actually lost a bit of steam on this, so your post has kind of reignited my spark a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sweden

Hi!

I thought I could mention my project for the Raspberry Pi:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17404 … pberry-pi/

It's more of a merge box, but it can do some of the things you've discussed, like channel switching and tweaking of velocity (there's even a "random velocity" mode). The program could be changed to send on multiple outputs.

If you want to, feel free to expand on this or use ideas/parts of the code for your project.

Another product related to this:
http://www.audiothingies.com/product/midibro/