Chicago, IL

I recently took part in GameJolt's MetroidJam. Make a Metroid game in 30 days. Our game is called MTRD and its sort of a minimalist, text based version of the original NES game. I thought some folks here might enjoy it. I did all the tunes and sfx in plogue chip sounds following the limitations of the NES. Some of the songs are covers or combine melodies from tracks from Super Metroid and Metroid Prime and all try to capture the feeling of the original. Its free so check it out.

http://gamejolt.com/games/mtrd/94843

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I like the concept, it is not a 100% console based program (you can see that the movement is actually very fluid, without respecting the letter's grid), but it is really addictive. Congrats!

PS: The .jar's size is too big (50mb), I opened the .jar and it is clear that you are using .wav files for the music, eating 90% of the game's size just for that. Please consider using a module format or mp3 at least. Continue the good work! smile

Last edited by Delek (Oct 5, 2015 1:11 pm)

Chicago, IL
Delek wrote:

I like the concept, it is not a 100% console based program (you can see that the movement is actually very fluid, without respecting the letter's grid), but it is really addictive. Congrats!

PS: The .jar's size is too big (50mb), I opened the .jar and it is clear that you are using .wav files for the music, eating 90% of the game's size just for that. Please consider using a module format or mp3 at least. Continue the good work! smile

Thanks for trying it out! Yeah, I was not the programmer but he did a great job of making the movement and fluidity really feel like metroid. The way everything moves makes you feel like its the NES. At first i thought, 'why is it text?' when he pitched it, but its sort of like double-nostalgic, its like metroid goodness + ANSI games i used to play on DOS. it was really just a matter of making a game in such a short time and not having an artist on board!

As for the size, Ill mention that to the dev. I think I gave him everything in mp3 for the most part. i know theres some kind of platformer library he used to build it, maybe that takes up some size...

Last edited by BeatScribe (Oct 5, 2015 1:11 pm)