I recently started tracking on my C64, using Sid-wizard.
Trying to become an elite chiptracker.
Feedback, tips and CC are appreciated. smile

https://soundcloud.com/zmasta/zmasta-bandana

Last edited by ZeBBiZ (Oct 20, 2015 11:18 am)

I hope you can take this the right way: right now this sounds like a bunch of random stuff going on. I don't know what your composition experience is, but attaining a sense of melody is probably the hardest part. Feel free to disregard this advice if you feel it doesn't apply to you. It can often be difficult to see why one series of notes invokes an emotional response in a broad swathe of people while another falls flat. It is my belief that the only way to learn how this works is listening and practice. Listen to great composers then try to imitate them, but only in the simplest way possible. Make annoyingly catchy melodies over four on the floor 1 4 5 chord progressions. Once you internalize this skill you can build outward. It's often the case that beginners try to make something too ambitious right away. It feels like that's what is happening here because you have three separate melodic lines that technically work together but end up being exactly the sum of their parts: some notes that are strung together. While to you this may have significance, the art is in communicating to a wider audience. You need to learn to make others feel what you are feeling, but that can only be done through a long process of trial and error. To that end, iterate quickly. Make the simplest songs possible and don't get attached to them. You will see results fast.

i think there are actually a lot of decent melodic ideas but the rhythm is so, so relentless and there's not much repetition which makes it easy to get lost

the arps at the start don't sound totally in key with the bassline either

if it was me i would vary the rhythm and maybe the bass sound to make it a bit less overpowering. it sounds almost like a march as it is!

but it is not bad for an early song