Normally, a lyrical song can be written. But, how can a chiptune songs are written..please explain me.

Detroit, Michigan

write a melody that sounds cool, put some bass notes that compliment the melody, then put in some percussion. Then make your melody more dynamic with envelopes, and different effects so that it can breath in the mix. Do this for a few loops, listen to them countless times until you figure out how to piece the puzzle together. Voila you have a banger

Last edited by snesei (Nov 12, 2015 2:15 pm)

Madison, WI

There is no right or wrong way to write music, only methods that will work better or worse for you and others.  Think of it like the difference between making pancakes and waffles.  Both use the same batter, and yet they end up on your plate in a different form. This is what happens when you alter writing styles.

Writing melodies first will help you create a melody-centric song.  Starting with percussion or bass might help you determine other factors first and make them a more prominent feature.  Starting with a guitar or other stringed instrument in your arsenal as accompaniment will probably lead to you writing in the keys of E A D G C etc.

My advice to you - find something simple that works for you and then start changing things. Deviate from the norm as soon as you have your feet wet and feel comfortable with your software.

Last edited by nonfinite (Nov 12, 2015 2:49 pm)

Detroit, Michigan

Yeah, just have fun with it

Chicago, IL

http://www.videogamedj.com/life-as-a-fr … -melodies/

Detroit

run a midi thru gxscc and ur set

I find that using a chiptune specific musical software tracker is a good way to start. People post their tracker files online all the time. You can download and open these up in the tracker and examine how they designed the different parts of their song. I have learned a lot from doing that.

I also experiment with different sounds and concepts a lot.

But the biggest help is that I have a near brainless job where I have the freedom to make musical melodies inside my head. My musical memory is also really good, so I can remember songs I made in my head from 1991, and integrate those into a chiptune track.

There are a number of good chiptune trackers out there. The main three that I use are Deflemask, VGM Music Maker, and Famitracker (for the NES). After composing music in these trackers, you are able to convert your module file into data that can be played off of the actual video game system.

You can also get really familiar with a tracker by trying to cover real life songs by other artists.

But yeah, find a tracker for a chipset that you like, learn the basics, and try to integrate your melody or idea within the limitations.

Seattle, WA

Make sounds until the sounds sound good and then add more sounds that sound good and now you have good sounds.

NC in the US of America

Study music theory extensively and then apply it tastefully

Alive and well in fucksville

Pick up some sort of ear training app or book. You won't understand theory until you can discern pitch. Start by memorizing the sound of the difference between 2 notes like c to c# (minor 2nd), c to d (major 2nd), etc up to an octave (the next higher c note). please realize music moves lower in pitches as well, so learn c to b etc on down to the lower c octave. once you know this, when you hear music you will be able to write what you hear (be prepared to dump months of your life into this skill). Don't make a habit of copying other peoples songs though. only do it for training. If you think up songs you need to be able to write down (or put them into lsdj) your melodies SO YOU DON'T FORGET THEM. It's not hard to carry a gameboy all the time (just in case something comes to mind). Starting today, carry a voice recorder so you can hum tunes into it that you think of. you can come back to your ideas after you know how to decode them.
Today's homework...
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/30
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/31
DO IT

Last edited by bitjacker (Nov 14, 2015 5:09 pm)

TSSBAY01

how do i write a song please explain me

Sydney, Australia

Great Article very useful

Spain
bitjacker wrote:

If you think up songs you need to be able to write down (or put them into lsdj) your melodies SO YOU DON'T FORGET THEM. It's not hard to carry a gameboy all the time (just in case something comes to mind). Starting today, carry a voice recorder so you can hum tunes into it that you think of. you can come back to your ideas after you know how to decode them.

Really agreeing with that, even if you can't get yor voice in tune or you don't know how to sing, it is a good idea to carry a keyboard or synthesizer app in your device, if you don't have a gameboy to get the truly chiptune sound (duh)

But to compose chiptune, and music in general, you may also check the major and minor chords in priority, because those are the most used, add pretty cool and beauty ornaments and create your own atmosphere and concept of sounds, if you wanna be a more experimental-ish musician, but still being with the major and minor chords (not using noises and woooooobbbbbbles and ambient sounds) you should learn about the other types of chords: 7, add9, sus4, that create a more developed sound and a more consistent atmosphere.

If you want, check many chiptuners' soundcloud or their tracks in cm.o (my music too, as you wish) and check out melodies, samples, movements and dymamics, is a hard job if you want to get a good and satisfying sound. Thanks heart

Brunswick, GA USA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_notation

Lichtenstein

If you can't/want use the original hardware: Find out the specifications for the chip you want your song sound like (i.e.: maximal number of channels, waveforms available, bit depth). Then try to stay within these limitations with the electronic sound generators/sample-based tracker you have.
For example: If you want to create an amiga tracker tune, use four/eight sounds at once (max.) with 8/4 bit resolution.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

"How to write a chiptune song?"

Do it.

You just find what system you want to work with, pick a good melody, and run with it.

You have no constraints when making music. Do whatever the fuck you want man.