Michigan

I recently received an Akai MPKmini usb keyboard for Christmas and I'm having issues with using FamiTracker with it. I went to Config > Midi > and selected my keyboard but I am still receiving no sound. As far as I am aware, all drivers are downloaded (however I can't access their website). Can anyone help?

NUMBSKULL

You're doing midi in to famitracker? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not familiar with it.

Have you tried any other programs to at least make sure the keyboard to PC connection is working?

Michigan

Going to be completely honest with you... this is my first step into using digital instruments and believed a midi controller would be easier for me to use than an actual computer keyboard...

NUMBSKULL

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. I meant grab another midi in program for your PC like a midi monitor or something, and play notes on the akai keyboard to see if the computer is actually getting the data. If that works then you know it's a famitracker issue.

Unsubscribe
Princedmorn wrote:

Going to be completely honest with you... this is my first step into using digital instruments and believed a midi controller would be easier for me to use than an actual computer keyboard...

Is the setting Map MIDI to NES channels set? If so I would take a note of which channels these are, and then go into the miniak editor, and make presets for each midi channel:

14 PAD MIDI CHANNEL – Click this field to select the number of the MIDI channel which the pads will use to transmit MIDI
messages while using this preset.
15. KEY + KNOBS MIDI CHANNEL – Click this field to select the number of the MIDI channel which the keyboard and
knobs will use to transmit MIDI messages while using this preset.

So Preset 1 Could be

Nes Channel 1 (Pulse 1) on Midi channel 0 (which is the same as channel 1 on devices that do not have zero and the Pads are set to maybe channel 4 for DPCM?

Then preset 2 could be pulse 2, preset 3 could be the triangle channel, and preset 4 could be the noise channel. Each preset could have the pads be the same, so you can always jam on some drum samples.

Just an idea.

Michigan
catskull wrote:

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't know of (really) any programs to test and make sure the midi feature itself is working...

Michigan
herr_prof wrote:
Princedmorn wrote:

Is the setting Map MIDI to NES channels set? If so I would take a note of which channels these are, and then go into the miniak editor, and make presets for each midi channel:

14 PAD MIDI CHANNEL – Click this field to select the number of the MIDI channel which the pads will use to transmit MIDI
messages while using this preset.
15. KEY + KNOBS MIDI CHANNEL – Click this field to select the number of the MIDI channel which the keyboard and
knobs will use to transmit MIDI messages while using this preset.

So Preset 1 Could be

Nes Channel 1 (Pulse 1) on Midi channel 0 (which is the same as channel 1 on devices that do not have zero and the Pads are set to maybe channel 4 for DPCM?

Then preset 2 could be pulse 2, preset 3 could be the triangle channel, and preset 4 could be the noise channel. Each preset could have the pads be the same, so you can always jam on some drum samples.

Just an idea.

I used the NES Mapping; well at least I checked the box... Other than that, I am not to familiar with miniak editor (which if that is a software I need to install from akai's website... well that domain doesn't seem to exist anymore or is down for maintenance). 
I'd hate to ask for you to explain it in 'full' detail for me, but if you can point me in any direction to where I may find a tutorial, I would be extremely greatful!

Unsubscribe

I found this howto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4jt2zAMDg

Michigan
herr_prof wrote:

Thank you!!!! I'll follow this guy and see it can help me more.
I got it to work for a couple minutes but then sound stopped.
I had to close out Famitracker and unplug the keyboard but I think it's working now.

Taichung, Taiwan
Princedmorn wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Thank you!!!! I'll follow this guy and see it can help me more.
I got it to work for a couple minutes but then sound stopped.
I had to close out Famitracker and unplug the keyboard but I think it's working now.

It uses a USB cable right?

Make sure the USB cable is made for data transfer and make sure it's a good USB cable.

Unsubscribe

Also you probably have to make sure everything is hooked up before you start famitracker.