Milan, Italy

I'm actually having a lot of fun making some 1bit tunes using Phaser1 Tracker.

Anyone knows any good emulator to get nice recordings from?

Last edited by arottenbit (Jun 29, 2010 12:21 am)

England

http://bulba.untergrund.net/vortex_e.htm

i heard that vortex is good emulating tracker thing that runs on pc

http://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=14268

ant1 made a wee tutorial

Russia, Moscow

Vortex is a cross-tracker for AY-3-8910, which has nothing to do with 1-bit music. There is a Windows cross-tracker with Phaser1 engine, though - Beepola. However, this not solve the problem, because every emulator and Beepola's emulation has some difference in how the output is filtered, and there is no 'right' one. So you'd better to check a few good emulators and choose one which sound you'll like. Difference in the sound is ranges from noisy sound with some high frequency carrier in background (SPIN) to rather clean (Unreal Speccy).

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 25, 2010 4:26 pm)

Milan, Italy

I've tried Unreal Speccy once, but the only thing i've got from it was this message: "GO TO SLEEP! STOOPID USER!".

At the moment i'm using Spectaculator. It sounds nice and i can quick-save states. The only problem is that it is a 30 days trial.. hmm

Russia, Moscow

The message you've seen is from Gluk utility. It is actually a good thing, all you need is to use TR-DOS version of the Phaser1. Press F3 to attach TRD/SCL file to the emulated disk drive, then press Enter twice (in the Gluk) - first press will show list of executable files on the disk (Gluk boot item), second will run the file (should be name of the editor).

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 25, 2010 4:46 pm)

PL

...and send us your BEEPER songs! smile

Milan, Italy

I've just done a song using Phaser1. (for a compilation, so it is a secret and you cant hear it tongue )
I love the limitation of this software. I had a lot of fun using it.

..but sometime i felt kinda unconfortable..
There is a 1bit tracker-like software that permit me to change BPM and maybe using some tables to make arpeggios?

even not on Spectrum.. It just need to be 1bit. smile

edit:
or there is a way to change BPM in Phaser1? To change them i'm using the first column, but it is totally not accurate...

edit2:
and yes, i know that i could make arpeggios on phaser1 just setting a faster tempo, but it doesnt seem to be handy..

Last edited by arottenbit (Jun 28, 2010 11:52 am)

PL

if you mean to change tempo in general, it is of course possible on any Spectrum music editor.
However in you mean BMP in detail, than I don't think you'd find anything like that.

As for arpeggios, I suspect you'd have to make them manually. smile
Remember that's a 48Kb RAM computer made in 1982. smile

Last edited by MISTER BEEP (Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am)

Milan, Italy

yay ok. eheh

Yesterday i've listened to this and i was like "F*CK! I NEED TABLES!"

PL
arottenbit wrote:

yay ok. eheh
Yesterday i've listened to this and i was like "F*CK! I NEED TABLES!"

Hey, but this is not BEEPER. It's AY. Totally different sound generator.

Russia, Moscow

There is no BPM in Phaser1. The speed setting is really rough, it is one of major limitations of the engine. You have to live with it, as you have to with a lot of limitations of the chip music in general. There are no tables as well, and no trackers with the tables.

You should understand that there was no actual 1-bit trackers for ZX before 2009, and besides the ZX I know only two for other platform, PC - they are even more limited than ANY ZX 1-bit tracker.

If you want to make 1-bit music without hard limitations, there are at least two VSTi for this (actual synths, not downsamplers).

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 28, 2010 12:23 pm)

Milan, Italy

AH! Thank you for had explained that! big_smile

Later when i'll get home i'm going to download and listen your album to get some real BEEPER tunes! wink

PL

Ah well, some of them are not so bad. wink

Anyway, if you are looking for AY editors, then use this one
http://zxspectrum48.i-demo.pl/st_1_1.zip (the simpliest, I suspect)
or this one
http://zxspectrum48.i-demo.pl/sqtrack.zip

Milan, Italy

thank you everyone for all these infos.
Now i'm going to rock out some 1bit shit! big_smile

The Rubber Man
arottenbit wrote:

thank you everyone for all these infos.
Now i'm going to rock out some 1bit shit! big_smile

But rember that SoundTracker/SQ-Trackers are 4-bit. Like SID or Pokey. Ay is 4bit.
I wish You luck.
Y

Nomad's Land
arottenbit wrote:

I've just done a song using Phaser1. (for a compilation, so it is a secret and you cant hear it tongue )

well i think i will force you to let me listen to it VERY SOON wink