Nottingham, UK

I've been focussing on my other music for a few years, and the gameboy has been more like a single instrument in a mix rather than the whole track.
I decided to put the effort in on a whole track as practice, but I feel like the details are failing me.
How're the instruments sounding?
Anything you'd change?
Do the melodies feel natural enough?
Feedback appreciated by this very infrequent poster.

https://soundcloud.com/forabrokenearth/ … lsdj-cover

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 10, 2016 1:39 pm)

You did an excellent job. I think everything is just right. You just picked a Shitty Chvrches song.

Nottingham, UK

ahaha, I'll take that.

Chicago

That's really good. I like how you took a fairly repetitive song, and gave enough variation to each verse to keep it interesting. Very impressive use of echo and chorus type effects in LSDJ (unless those were added in post). Would love to look at the LDSJ.SAV file if you feel like sharing.

Nottingham, UK

Yeah that's all in LSDJ. I'd show you the file but I have a lot of trouble transfering at the moment, can't afford a drag n derp.  The delays are basically just your standard LSDJ style echos with a bit of detune and an automated pan thing in the table.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 10, 2016 10:52 pm)

Boise, ID
QuietMind wrote:

That's really good. I like how you took a fairly repetitive song, and gave enough variation to each verse to keep it interesting. Very impressive use of echo and chorus type effects in LSDJ

That's what I'd say too. The only thing I could mention is the pulse channels seemed slightly loud over the wave channel, but that's just preference to me. Great job! smile

England

i don't really know the original, and i don't know how much you intended to make the cover your own (my remixes are pretty much just new songs, lol) , but the original has a much warmer lusher feeling, so that big distorted wav channel bass sounds kinda outta space place.

i dunno i'd try and make the sounds warmer some way. less harsh sounding.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 11, 2016 5:48 pm)

Nottingham, UK

Thanks, I figured that I was never going to approximate the warmth of all their analogue synths so I just went with what comes natural to the gameboy. But I find making angry wav basses kind of easy, so I was probably being lazy.

NC in the US of America

Just on that one part where it goes "grrRAWRgrrrRAWR" I guess the pre-chorus..? it would benefit from a less angry bass, without having heard the original before. But this is really cool, anyway. I enjoyed this a lot. I think I've heard another chip cover of this cuz the tune sounded familiar somehow and I remember the fact that it reminded me of a tune from "Bonk's Adventure" stuck in my head......  I actually listened to this one to the end, so it's good in my book... tongue

Myabe I'm biased, but i like the gameboy sound of your cover more than the original. And I totally understand the laziness thing... It gets me too many times, right where it counts hehe