I'm starting out my first Gameboy DMG mod-project and I'm wondering a little bit about backlights. There are a lot of different backlights out there and I've come to understand that there are different kinds that are not equally satisfying in performance to say the least. What are some good things to look for? For example I've gotten the impression that Kitch-bent is a good and reliable store for these kinds of things, so for example, do anyone have any opinions regarding the kind of backlights they have for sale, since I'm thinking of ordering other things from there anyway?

I'm not super particular as long as the backlight isn't really bad. What kinds are there? What kinds do you recommend and are there some I really need to look out for?

Some help would be appreciated!

California

Most of the backlights you'll see operate in very similar fashions. The big difference you'll notice is how noticeable things like the LEDs at the bottom are. I've heard good things about Kitsch-bent, as well as Nonfinite(although I've also heard negative reviews about him). I purchased my backlight on Hand Held Legend and it works very well: http://handheldlegend.com/collections/p … and-pocket
If you think you're up to it, I'd recommend also installing a bivert mod, but it isn't necessary and you'll still get a pretty good picture just from having a backlight. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that there isn't any difference in the functionality of the different backlights for sale, they're just constructed a little differently. If you're new to modding, I would recommend buying a kit from HHL or Nonfinite that has the backlight, as the KB lights are a bit more advanced(e.g. the RGB allows for color change). If you still haven't figured out a kit by the time you look at the options from the aforementioned vendors, I would suggest looking at some online reviews, and decide based on the one that looks best to you. I personally prefer the HHL backlight, as it's a bit thinner(so it's easy to fit) and comes with the wires and resistor needed. If you want a guide on installing, I would recommend the videos by This Does Not Compute and Nonfinite: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp20N … dbQdHSxgjw https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqWPeY … vnO1fwRSHw

I'll definitely check out HHL as well! Thank you!

I'm still a bit confused about the bivertion. What exactly does it do? People say it increases contrast by inverting. But does the grey-scale come out inverted, like tilting the polarization filter? or is it something else that gets inverted? I'm up to it. Just hit me ^^

Rhode Island

It does improve the contrast but would invert the picture just like rotating the polarization filter 90 degrees. However, when adding a polarization filter while backlighting you can revert the picture by rotating the filter.

Ah... simple enough ^^

But why would this improve the contrast though?

Last edited by QuarkTrooper (Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm)

Rhode Island

I don't recall the exactly but I think it had something to do with having a stronger signal in the end? I know how to get it to work. Not all the evil magic that flows through it.

California

From what I can recall, biverting improves contrast because the inverter chip matches the positive and negative voltages at a much higher accuracy than the DMG can. In layman's terms, the inverter does a better job at matching colors(or shades, rather) than the GameBoy.

Oregon

Damn dude I did not realize that glass screen covers were out and about, available for purchase!