South Dakota, United States

So the other day I was at a friends and tried to run my Numark to my friends PA board so I could run the mix through the PA speakers and monitor speakers(thinking we could make something cool like anamanaguchi with a full band). But for some reason when I had my two GBC's running into my Numark and then out to the PA system, it gets really distorted (It sounds like its only picking up the bass end of things at a vary high gain and cutting out the mids and highs). I checked all the gain levels on the PA and Numark. I checked the EQ(tried flat lining it and bringing it all down as well) and everything and no matter how low I brought the gain down it was still distorted. The only way I could get it to work was removing either the L or R output RCA going into the Numark from both Gameboys making the Gameboys have a mono output into the Numark.

-----------------------------------------------------
Here's the list of equipment I was using:
-----------------------------------------------------
2x - GBC with RCA Prosound mod
2x - RCA cables
1 - Numark DMX 06 Mixer
1 - RCA to 1/8"
1 - 1/8" to 1/4" adapter

---------------------------------------------------
Here's the order in which it was set up:
---------------------------------------------------
GBC - RCA - (line input)
                                        - Numark - RCA to 1/8" - 1/8" to 1/4" adapter - Channel 7 L (Mono) input on PA board
GBC - RCA - (line input)

---------------------------
Things that I've tried:
---------------------------
1. ) I swapped the input from Line to Phono on the mixer and changed the channel input on the PA board as well and still had the same issue. What is that used for anyways? I mean it outputs the same but what's the purpose of the ground being there?

2.) I ran both GBC's and DMG's straight into the channel 7 L(Mono) input on the PA board using the RCA to 1/8" and the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and they worked with no issues.

3.) I tried using a different a different mixer(ran through both line and phono) and PA board and I came up with the same issue.

4.) Swapped out the RCA cables including the RCA to 1/8" cable, 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and that had no effect

5.) I tried swapping over to my DMG's(both using 1/8" Prosound mod) and ran those through the same setup and no luck.

6.) I tried running as close as I could to the setup at my friends when I was home, but ran it through my home stereo using the Aux in port(1/8" input) because I don't have a PA board. The only things I ended up cutting out of the setup where the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and the PA board. When doing this I had no issue with the sound at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? It's really got me confused and any thoughts on this would help. Thanks!

Taichung, Taiwan

You're trying to route a Stereo signal to a mono signal with an adapter to the PA board?

South Dakota, United States
katsumbhong wrote:

You're trying to route a Stereo signal to a mono signal with an adapter to the PA board?

Yes because I don't have anything at the moment for splitting the RCA's into two separate 1/4" jacks for L and R. Also changing from a stereo to mono signal shouldn't be an issue because I also ran a signal straight from my GBC to the PA. I just used the RCA to 1/8" cable and the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, cutting out the Numark.

Taichung, Taiwan

I would use RCA to RCA cables, then use two RCA to Mono 1/4" jacks and plug those two into the PA Mixer.

You don't get a proper Mono signal when you plug a Stereo jack into a Mono Jack.

You get two signals trying to "compete" on a single pole on the audio connector.

Adapters don't "adapt" the signal, they just split or change how a connector plugs into something. They don't mix signals.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Feb 3, 2016 11:19 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

You are definitely going to be getting distortion if you are trying to make a Mono signal from a Stereo signal just using audio jacks/connectors. Someone correct me if I am wrong but you might also be doing some damage to the PA mixer.