Joliette, QC, Canada
Feryl wrote:

In terms of genre-bending or whatever, I tend to dislike all these artists who seemingly get tired of "pure chipmusic" and then have their mandatory go at making chip-EDM or chip-rock or folk music or whatever. Most of the time it doesn't grab me at all and feels extremely lame. It takes someone special to pull off a transition like that.

Totally feel this one ! ...Well I think it's okay if they still using trackers like Renoise but yeah...
Like most of you I love diversity and listening to 10 000 different genres of music which is the reason why I LOVE Chip/tracker music !!!

Feryl wrote:

In terms of genre-bending or whatever, I tend to dislike all these artists who seemingly get tired of "pure chipmusic" and then have their mandatory go at making chip-EDM or chip-rock or folk music or whatever. Most of the time it doesn't grab me at all and feels extremely lame. It takes someone special to pull off a transition like that.

I'm probably being a bit unnecessarily defensive here, but this kind of logic is a bit obnoxious to me. Who are we, as fans, to say to artists what style they "belong to?" Tastes evolve and inspiration grows - posts like this often (selfishly) concern me because I've always made more technical rock-influenced music before even toughing a gameboy but over the past couple years I've genuinely fallen in love with classic techno and many other forms of dance music so I feel anything I make like that in the future could be viewed as that "mandatory go at making chip-EDM" within the same community. What's very important to also note is this:

Feryl wrote:

It takes someone special to pull off a transition like that.

That very same transition could have been made for people when they even started making chipmusic, u feel me? wink

Last edited by an0va (Feb 9, 2016 8:38 pm)

Montreal, Canada

To each his own? Maybe? smile

"Chip" is an aesthetic choice more than it's a genre of music. People have been pulling off jazz, rock, metal, ambient, and whatever else for decades and some of it sounds great, and some sounds like shit.

Personally I draw the line between chip and non-chip where people start tacking-on chip elements instead of using it as the main vector for the music. Rock outfits that force a square wave onto their songs almost invariably sound terrible. Same goes with EDM that's 90% NI plugins and sidechains and whatnot, and then add a little chip arpeggio somewhere. That shit is just tacky. It's as if the artist was saying "My shit ain't good enough to compete with other music in that genre, so I'm gonna settle for impressing the gameboy kids instead."

But to answer the original question. Yes I enjoy chiptunes. I got loads of it on my iPod that I listen to regularly. I've been listening to chiptunes since the Amiga and my love for it hasn't faded one bit (see what I did there?)

Melbourne
an0va wrote:

I've always made more technical rock-influenced music but over the past couple years I've genuinely fallen in love with classic techno and many other forms of dance music so I feel anything I make like that in the future could be viewed as that "mandatory go at making chip-EDM" within the same community.

same.. though I think there's merit in making more 'classic' techno, ie. more towards the minimalist side, with no drops or ridiculous gimmicky sounds.. at least that's what I like to tell myself big_smile

NC in the US of America

Bedroom vocals! That's the word I've been looking for. Bedroom vocals tick me off so much. Record with passion! Hearing hushed half-hearted "I don't want to wake up my parents"-sounding vocals.

an0va wrote:

I'm probably being a bit unnecessarily defensive here, but this kind of logic is a bit obnoxious to me. Who are we, as fans, to say to artists what style they "belong to?"

I didn't see anything in his post saying that anyone should belong to this style or that style. But as fans we /are/ entitled to enjoy only that which sounds good to us and appeals to our sensibilities.

To answer the question: I enjoy chipmusic a lot. I enjoy many flavors of it, from 1bit 1channel jams to proggy mario paint compositions to chip+jazz piano stuff, and everything in between, and plenty of things that fall outside of that spectrum, lol. I listen to it as much as I listen to anything else.

SuperlateEdit: but to each his own and every artist is entitled to produce what they want as much as fan is entitled to like what they like. As long as you put heart and soul, honesty and effort into honing their craft and producing something they love, somebody will appreciate it.

As a fan, you don't have to feel obligated to be "loyal" and try to force yourself into a musical box that's too small and isn't the right shape for you.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Feb 8, 2016 1:27 am)

s m d h

TSSBAY01

i ran acidwarp on an 8088 in the 90s, konichiwa

Brunswick, GA USA

I am of the opinion that a good song can be rearranged to work in many contexts. That means I can take a bit I noodle on the guitar and I can set a vocal to it, play it on solo piano, or have a bunch of chip beeps, but if the piece was strong each version will sound equally good in the most objective sense possible.

I too had a phase when I burned out of chipmusic for a while, never completely letting it go, because I felt like I only ever got attention if I sounded like a copy of someone else's style, and that style was something I have grown to dislike. I explored other scenes and found out that there is nothing quite as eclectic as chipmusic.

Last edited by chunter (Feb 8, 2016 11:59 pm)

Oklahoma City, OK

I very much enjoy chipmusic in various styles, but I listen to more music that's non-chip probably. I have more musical influences that are non-chip as well, most of them being guitar rock bands.

I'm more a fan of composition in general tbh.

Alive and well in fucksville

I like chipmusic how a fat kid likes cake.

Unsubscribe

I like chiptune like a fat kid loves chiptune.

Unsubscribe

I like chiptune like a fat kid loves chiptune.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Feryl wrote:

n00bstar wrote:

Personally I draw the line between chip and non-chip where people start tacking-on chip elements instead of using it as the main vector for the music. Rock outfits that force a square wave onto their songs almost invariably sound terrible. Same goes with EDM that's 90% NI plugins and sidechains and whatnot, and then add a little chip arpeggio somewhere. That shit is just tacky. It's as if the artist was saying "My shit ain't good enough to compete with other music in that genre, so I'm gonna settle for impressing the gameboy kids instead."

I've seen this a lot, a musician starting in the chip world and then moving awkwardly on to a different scene. I think the reason this fails so often is that many of these people are doing so out of a desire to be more popular rather than a true love for what they're doing. Toronto had a few people like this in the mid to late 2000s.

When they started making chipmusic I made sure to be very supportive but I could tell they weren't really interested in chipmusic as much as they were interested in the big shows we were playing and the potential fame on 8bc. Since they lacked passion, they never really honed their skills and so they never really got the following they had hoped for. They each transitioned to doing simple remixes and eventually to pure DJ gigs, in the hopes they'd find the easy fame they were looking for.

There are plenty of musicians who start in the tracker scene who legitimately find inspiration in another genre or scene and those are generally the ones who end up pulling off some really awesome music. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to change your style, permanently or just for the short term, as long as you're chasing that new sound for the right reasons.

settle
Nullatrum wrote:
djhaka wrote:

For example, I love crazy time signatures (5/4, 7/4, even some 15/4 like Disasterpeace has done yikes).

I have something for you then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

Hahaha nice!! Haven't listened to much Tool, but yeah! I love getting thrown off and trying to figure out where the beat is big_smile.

I feel similar to n00bstar. I think there are interesting musical elements in all kinds of music, and I also think trying to perform those elements within the limitations of a chip is really neat. There's gradations of that (strict limits to 'fakebit' to throwing a couple of bloops into your DAW, why not), but interesting music is interesting music. Two good examples are Shnabubula, who's an amazing pianist and improvisor but still incorporates his skill into limited chiptunes (see All Blues), and freezedream, who can either compose strictly on a Mega Drive/Genesis or write interesting field music, just depending on what he wants. I'm sure it takes a junk ton of work and creativity to pull that off though.

pselodux wrote:

same.. though I think there's merit in making more 'classic' techno, ie. more towards the minimalist side, with no drops or ridiculous gimmicky sounds.. at least that's what I like to tell myself big_smile

That's what I like!! Give me some Orbital over bass drops any day big_smile

San Diego, CA

if little compositional/timbre-related gimmicks like having a "drop" or throwing some square waves in an edm track are the things that make you not want to listen to a track, I honestly don't see how you can even listen to chiptune at all

like chiptune is an entire aesthetic based on what a large percentage of music listeners would call a gimmick

maybe artists shift away from "pure" chiptune because the things that determined aesthetic purity w/r/t chiptune have only gotten narrower as time has passed while music in general has gone in all sorts of directions

I stopped listening to chiptune when the most interesting thing about the aesthetic became "sounds like old technology"

read: "sounds like old technology" wasn't always the most interesting thing about chiptune

edit edit: this is a fairly long winded way of saying chiptune changed and I didn't change with it

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Feb 8, 2016 11:55 pm)

Melbourne
spacetownsavior wrote:

if little compositional/timbre-related gimmicks like having a "drop" or throwing some square waves in an edm track are the things that make you not want to listen to a track, I honestly don't see how you can even listen to chiptune at all

don't get me wrong (I'm not sure if that was directed at me), that kind of stuff has its place, and is certainly good for dancing at a gig.. but I just get a bit burned out when it gets into happy hardcore territory that sometimes happens at bigger chip gigs. I would *love* to hear someone bust out some Surgeon/Black Dog/Richie Hawtin style dark brooding techno, but made with chip instruments, at a headliner slot at a big chip festival.. but currently audiences generally just want to hear fast bright arps and BPMs over 160 at that time slot—again, nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and I certainly enjoy it, but it would be nice to have the contrast!

Last edited by pselodux (Feb 9, 2016 1:37 am)