California
Feryl wrote:
Nullatrum wrote:

Damn that's pretty rough for a lot of people. Maybe there's not that much you like particularly but do you really think that all attempts to make a fusion genre will fail?

Um... yeah, of course it can be done. But it's rare that I hear an artist actually pull it off.

Take Danimal Cannon--that dude's amazing. But all these other lads who keep posting their fresh new tunes with silly bedroom vocals or mediocre EDM synths are just like... no. tongue

Speaking of Danimal Cannon, he made an excellent point: Chiptune isn't really a genre, it's more of an instrument platform. Obviously one can tire from hearing the same styles of chiptune(EDM is the most popular), but there's always a time to fancy a laugh at Chiptune Reggae or something along those lines.

pselodux wrote:
spacetownsavior wrote:

if little compositional/timbre-related gimmicks like having a "drop" or throwing some square waves in an edm track are the things that make you not want to listen to a track, I honestly don't see how you can even listen to chiptune at all

don't get me wrong (I'm not sure if that was directed at me), that kind of stuff has its place, and is certainly good for dancing at a gig.. but I just get a bit burned out when it gets into happy hardcore territory that sometimes happens at bigger chip gigs. I would *love* to hear someone bust out some Surgeon/Black Dog/Richie Hawtin style dark brooding techno, but made with chip instruments, at a headliner slot at a big chip festival.. but currently audiences generally just want to hear fast bright arps and BPMs over 160 at that time slot—again, nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and I certainly enjoy it, but it would be nice to have the contrast!

Wow, really? I'm so used to hearing all those darker grungy styles made in LSDJ, when I listen to new stuff online. Also, I don't think people make nearly enough dance-able music for the Sega Master system chipset.

The kind of genres I like on chiptune styles are generally the same I like with regular music. Orchestral, Ragtime piano, jazz, early electronica, 80's dance/pop... yeah, I'm old skool tongue

My guess is that because the energy is high at those chip tune events, that is why people play high energy/tempo tracks. It takes a lot of skill to make a song with fast arps sound good. It takes even more skill to make a chiptune track sound good without fast arps. =0  There's a fine balance to strike with composition.

Last edited by marcb0t (Feb 9, 2016 4:49 am)

i don't really listen to it very much any more, or make it for that matter. without the community aspect (not trying to say anything about the state of the community other than that i'm no longer much part of it) it kind of lost its USP i think. and that is coupled with my recent loss of creativity and growing interest in other things, which put me off tracking myself, plus a shift in my listening habits to involve more spotify playlists and less files on my hard drive

not like i hate it or anything but im definitely not spending my christmas holidays trawling through the hvsc for hidden bangers or flying out to germany to meet fellow chiptuners or whatever anymore

Every now and then I'll put some Pajjama or Peer stuff on but it's not too often anymore. I still enjoy it though and I still listen to game soundtracks here and there. I'm always looking for stuff that stands out from the crowd.

pselodux wrote:

I would *love* to hear someone bust out some Surgeon/Black Dog/Richie Hawtin style dark brooding techno, but made with chip instruments

pm me lol wink

sorry for double post but I think these are very very very good points:

spacetownsavior wrote:

if little compositional/timbre-related gimmicks like having a "drop" or throwing some square waves in an edm track are the things that make you not want to listen to a track, I honestly don't see how you can even listen to chiptune at all

like chiptune is an entire aesthetic based on what a large percentage of music listeners would call a gimmick

maybe artists shift away from "pure" chiptune because the things that determined aesthetic purity w/r/t chiptune have only gotten narrower as time has passed while music in general has gone in all sorts of directions

England

i tend to like chipmusic that doesn't sound like VGM, typical demoscene funk or whatever sub-genre of house/techno happens to be really popular at the moment.

i post about nice things i find at http://www.kittenrock.co.uk/, along with playlists of nice things that i make.

buffalo, NY

As long as I keep hearing rad records being released, I'll be into it.

Also it seems like the Battle of the Bits compo guys have been pushing the medium in the coolest ways. They don't seem to be on a lot of people's radar though. Speaking of which I found this rad album 2 days ago https://lukaseriksson.bandcamp.com/track/follow

I rediscovered this sleeper album as well, holy shit
https://shnabubula.bandcamp.com/album/c … under-fire

Then there's the Shovel Knight OST which is fucking immaculate
https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel- … soundtrack

I dunno, I hear lots of rad releases

Last edited by danimal cannon (Feb 9, 2016 7:19 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
danimal cannon wrote:

Also it seems like the Battle of the Bits compo guys have been pushing the medium in the coolest ways.

Battle of the Bits, bitpuritans, and the current Famicompo Pico crew are almost the same people. I was flattered to be identified as "Battle of the Bits veteran" for Weekly Treats because they get a ton of work done and I'm lucky to enter 2 compos per year anymore.

bnox and company dare us to do crazy things all the time, I can't always keep up.

buffalo, NY

There's so much talent in that little microcosm, it's not the LSDJ EDM scene, but hot damn they are awesome

San Diego, CA
pselodux wrote:

don't get me wrong (I'm not sure if that was directed at me), that kind of stuff has its place, and is certainly good for dancing at a gig.. but I just get a bit burned out when it gets into happy hardcore territory that sometimes happens at bigger chip gigs. I would *love* to hear someone bust out some Surgeon/Black Dog/Richie Hawtin style dark brooding techno, but made with chip instruments, at a headliner slot at a big chip festival.. but currently audiences generally just want to hear fast bright arps and BPMs over 160 at that time slot—again, nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and I certainly enjoy it, but it would be nice to have the contrast!

it wasn't directed at you! in fact what you're talking about is something I'm trying to parse through these days w/r/t my relationship with chiptune

like an0va I also got really into different genres of music and wanted to start incorporating them into my own style, but I also found that gameboy-only (LSDJ was my main tool) stuff really didn't do it for me as far as composition went. so I bit the bullet and ended up writing things in ableton and using other synths and things (<3 my microbrute) to make it

but I ended up in this weird area where I don't feel like I'm "chiptune" anymore, and coming back on this forum to hear people talking about "pure" chiptune and how it's sacrilegious to pander to audiences with square waves kind of confirmed it for me

one of the bigger turning points for me happened when chibi-tech released that moe moe kyunstep song -- it was amazing and hugely expanded the possibility space for what the NES could do soundwise, but it also sounded exactly like a skrillex song? so to hear people say "man dubstep is the WORST" followed by "holy shit this song is AMAZING" when it's literally skrillex on an NES was weird for me

and this isn't meant as a slight toward chibi-tech or the song, it was just weird to see that double standard. a skrillex song made on an NES is chiptune, but an NES + other instruments that skrillex might use isn't chiptune? I personally would have liked the definition to expand to include the second scenario, but it didn't seem to happen, so that's kind of where I fell off of listening to "pure" chiptune

the actual solution is for us not to care though so whoops!

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Feb 9, 2016 7:46 pm)

Melbourne

yeah true re: NES dubstep, that's kinda what I was fumbling and trying to say.. and I do legitimately enjoy a lot of that stuff, because those people are my friends, and I can see how passionate they are about making that style of music, and that actually adds to the appeal of it for me..

.. but it comes close to a question I've thought about often:

If something is produced on chiptune hardware, but doesn't sound like chiptune and you don't tell anyone what you made it on, is it still chiptune?

big_smile

Last edited by pselodux (Feb 9, 2016 8:24 pm)

Chicago
pselodux wrote:

If something is produced on chiptune hardware, but doesn't sound like chiptune and you don't tell anyone what you made it on, is it still chiptune?

If a GameBoy bleeps in an empty forest, is that chiptune?

IL, US
spacetownsavior wrote:

but I ended up in this weird area where I don't feel like I'm "chiptune" anymore, and coming back on this forum to hear people talking about "pure" chiptune and how it's sacrilegious to pander to audiences with square waves kind of confirmed it for me

i'd say those people talking about that are the vocal minority in this case... most people who've been in this scene for any length of time consider any argument about purity to be silly and really missing the point of making music as an artistic statement

Melbourne

yeah, I consider myself to be an anti-purist with most genres big_smile

NC in the US of America
spacetownsavior wrote:

like an0va I also got really into different genres of music and wanted to start incorporating them into my own style, but I also found that gameboy-only (LSDJ was my main tool) stuff really didn't do it for me as far as composition went. so I bit the bullet and ended up writing things in ableton and using other synths and things (<3 my microbrute) to make it

one of the bigger turning points for me happened when chibi-tech released that moe moe kyunstep song -- it was amazing and hugely expanded the possibility space for what the NES could do soundwise, but it also sounded exactly like a skrillex song? so to hear people say "man dubstep is the WORST" followed by "holy shit this song is AMAZING" when it's literally skrillex on an NES was weird for me

and this isn't meant as a slight toward chibi-tech or the song, it was just weird to see that double standard. a skrillex song made on an NES is chiptune, but an NES + other instruments that skrillex might use isn't chiptune? I personally would have liked the definition to expand to include the second scenario, but it didn't seem to happen, so that's kind of where I fell off of listening to "pure" chiptune

the actual solution is for us not to care though so whoops!

The thing about Moe Moe Kyunstep is that it /doesn't/ sound exactly like a skrillex song. "Literally skrillex on an NES" would be... literally skrillex producing a song on an NES. Moe Moe Kyunstep isn't even virtually skrillex on an NES. It executes its melodic and harmonic and thematic elements in a way that skrillex never could. The tune in and of itself is excellent, regardless of the things it has in common with a skrillex song. For me, at least. Moe Moe Kyunstep is literally a chibi-tech chiptune song that happens to be teh brostep.

I seriously doubt that all those people who loved kyunstep but hate dubstep magically started listening to and enjoying skrillex and dubstep artists and gameboy EDMstep, etc, that they had previously hated, and all lived happily ever-after. (Perhaps some did, and to them I say congrats on expanding your horizons and learning to see things from another point of view). Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I understand, people dislike dubstep because it lacks elements that would allow them to enjoy it, not so much because it's down-tempo and wubbulous. Chibi-tech created a song that infused the brostep with elements that they can enjoy, thus unlocking a world where they were able to partake in the joy that regular dubstep fans enjoy.

Not only did kyunstep expand the possibilities of what the NES could do soundwise, but, for me, it also expanded my perception of the possibilities of what growlstep could do melodically, harmonically, rhythmically (it had some really cool drum n bass/breakbeat elements that I haven't heard in your typical skrillstep) and thematically.

Also, if your usage of square waves is to pander to an audience and your artistic self-expression are mutually exclusive, then at least a few people are going to feel that and turn away from it. Any form of pandering is going to be frowned upon by /somebody/.

i'd say those people talking about that are the vocal minority in this case... most people who've been in this scene for any length of time consider any argument about purity to be silly and really missing the point of making music as an artistic statement

People enjoy what sounds good to them. It's not their fault that the artists they've heard being "impure" don't execute their impurity in a way that sounds pleasing to them. 

As someone who loves all kinds of chiptune, be it solo or with an orchestra, One of the things that I, at least, enjoy about "pure" chiptune vs. "impure" chiptune is that pure chiptune can do a lot of creative things with the sound design of the chiptune element that a lot of impurists often /can't/ do, due to the fact that their choice of unchiply instrumentation wouldn't mix very well with those chiptune elements. They'd be tripping all over each other and fighting for attention and getting mutually lost in the muddled mix (as I've heard often enough, even with some of the popular "big hitters" in the "scene"). My beloved chiptune elements that would normally be taking center-stage get pushed to the back, playing second fiddle and being limited in what they can do (square wave leads or maybe some arps. Or if you /really/ want to be edgy, throw in a 25% pulse wave or a SID PWM lead yikes ) Maybe an artist might throw in a 4 measure bridge of gameboy solo here or there to try and jam the more creative sounds into the song somewhere, but then they get stripped away again, or buried in the mix.

There's a certain way of caressing the soundchip that /usually/ doesn't happen when it's having to share space with other instrumentation. Kinda like having a 1-on-1 tutoring session vs. a group study.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Feb 10, 2016 9:40 pm)