Thinking about buying an original Gameboy, and I don't have much experience with them. The seller says you have to "push the buttons a few extra times to make the game start"-- does this sound like a common problem? Apparently the cart is functional, but should I ask any specific questions?

I know this isn't a major investment, but I don't want to miss any glaring issues.

Last edited by microt (Feb 10, 2016 4:45 pm)

Ardèche, France

If you have to push the button a few times, it may be because of dust or dirt between the cart connectors and the console connectors.

It's really nothing serious, just use a dry (or with a touch of alcohol) tissue to remove from the cart connector any dust blocking the way, it may help. If it doesn't, it may not be the cartridge, but the console. Try those comprimed oxygen cans (you know, to remove dirt in your keyboard) to blow air in the console cartridge reader, or you can open your gameboy to make it clean, it will always be a good thing to do. (but you will need a special screwdriver, called Tri-wing, it's in a Y shape)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Or dirt in the controls.

Any time you buy vintage electronics, even when they've been gone over by someone with experience, you're taking a chance. Just make sure the price is appropriate for the level of risk and how hard the thing is to get.

This gameboy sounds like its probably just dirty. Either way, they're resilient.