Hartlepool, UK

Shaun from Gameboy Mods UK here, hardly ever come on here because I have very little to offer the community however a close friend told me about the thread so I just thought I would say that I never got an email from you and it has nothing to do with me! To be honest I don't even see the message, point or issue that the thread is trying to get over.

Good luck with your business and maybe try and inject some love into the community rather than trying to use it to fight your battles for you! I understand it's your living however trying to paint other businesses in a negative light will only reflect badly upon yourself.

Thanks
Shaun

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:17 am)

Madison, WI
Apeshit wrote:

the domain squatting bandit appears to still be at large and is also in possession of http://8bitcollective.com

thank you to nonfinite for raising awareness about this important issue. i hope we can solve this mystery soon and reveal who has been plotting this malicious attack against kitsch.

OK, now THAT is an interesting development!  I personally bid on 8bitcollective when it went up for auction several months ago. From my memory I reached close to $1,000.00 when I stopped bidding on it and watched it until it hit $1,500.00.

I had been hoping to revive the forum, weekly top ten list and all.

Anyways, the fact that it sold for what it did is pretty clear proof this was not done by an SEO company.

It also disproves the fanboy theory. No fan is going to spend over 1K to buy a domain and point it to kitsch-bent.com

Also, note that whois shows 8bitcollective.com was purchased two days before all of the others. October 26th, 2015 using the same exact services and options (including obscuration of registrar details) as the other domains.

It now makes sense why all of these domains were purchased on GoDaddy. It's because the auction was specifically hosted there two days prior.

Last edited by NonElectronics (Feb 12, 2016 2:11 am)

Madison, WI

Having 8bc pointing where it is is really, really incriminating. The 8bitcollective.com domain is FAR too valuable for any other party to have done that, and the other redirects, but Matt himself as far as I can figure.

Last edited by NonElectronics (Feb 12, 2016 2:05 am)

San Diego, CA

last I checked this forum was called chipmusic.org and not trialsandsentencingofmusicequipmentretailers.org

Madison, WI

Can I just say it's strange how much people who don't care about a particular topic want to tell you they don't care about a particular topic here?

Madison, WI

I guess I understand why there's so much hate floating around here. Really the only ones that have actually gained anything from this in the short term are the vendors: those who had domains purchased and those who didn't both. Most of them have thanked me privately, expressed an interest in following the thread further in relative silence, and continuing on with their businesses.

The rest of the people reading this don't really have a stake in the outcome, and as a result consider it detrimental to the community.

I say shining a light on the truth is never detrimental. All the same, I get it.

I'm going to sign off the thread at this point. I've done my due diligence. If you want to stick your heads in the sand, you're free to do so. If you genuinely don't care if you do business with ethical people, that's your right and privilege. If you DO care, now you have the information you need to act on that desire.

Abandoned on Fire

Just because it hasn't been explicitly stated: No crime has been committed. Nobody got hacked and nothing got stolen. Someone legally purchased some domains and pointed them where they wanted them to go. At most, the behavior was "kinda jerky".

Madison, WI

Well hey, there's a silver lining to this cloud: we now know that Matt Edwards owns 8bitcollective.com. I hope he does something cool with it.

Last edited by nonfinite (Feb 12, 2016 2:54 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Does Jose still own 8bitcollective.org? I don't know how possible it would be to restart a community while 8bc.org is still technically held hostage by it's original owners.

Cleveland, OH

Hello everyone.
I would just like to point out that this thread was posted as a warning only. A warning to those that it has not yet affected. This was never meant to be a witch hunt. It certainly isn't about finding the culprit or getting justice.
Chipmusic.org simply seemed to be the best place to get the attention of those that we may not have considered as possible victims.
Anyone with a website that could possibly be harmed by this issue should purchase other common extensions such as .net, .org, .co, etc.

Unsubscribe

Maybe it's not too late to go back to using nuby lights.

Cleveland, OH

Haha nice smile

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:17 am)

San Diego, CA
NonElectronics wrote:

Can I just say it's strange how much people who don't care about a particular topic want to tell you they don't care about a particular topic here?

bro you don't even know

we are not saying these things because we "don't care" about the topic

we say these things because there are like a hundred more tasteful and helpful ways to go about handling this situation, and you chose the option where you outright accuse another retailer of stealing business (using domain redirects, of all things) on a forum people use to talk about chipmusic

and you do this AFTER you post a disingenuous thread title, one which would ostensibly be useful to newcomers to the scene, only to take the thread and use it for your own means under the guise of protecting "the community"

like sure, a domain redirect (which has since been disabled by the way) may hurt your business

but you know what else hurts your business? someone new to chipmusic coming onto this forum hoping to find a way into making music, looking for a person selling the hardware needed to do this, seeing this inter-scene drama between retailers happening and deciding "nah I'm good"

which also hurts the business of the rest of the retailers in the scene

what do I know I don't even care about this

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Feb 12, 2016 3:49 am)

NUMBSKULL

Have you checked any of the new TLD's Nonfinite? It looks like Matt also bought nonelectronics.xyz