PDX

Monitor selection is a subject that has been beaten to death, but I am curious, for those of you that use DAWs and mix and master your stuff, what monitors do you use for chip music and are you happy/unhappy with them? How to they excel and what are the weak spots?

Tacoma WA

i have a pair of krk rokit 8's

they're not the best in the world but the price was good (but one get one 1/2 off, but guitar center for some reason did both 1/2 off)
i'm pretty happy with them.  i know my room needs more treatment than i've given it if i wanted to seriously try and do any mastering, but they've given me some mixes i'm really happy with

sweden

Fostex pm0.4. Would have liked something bigger, but compared to other monitors in its price range they are quite decent. Had them for a few years but I still haven't gotten really used to them. I just end up mixing with my akg headphones instead.

Me, I have got KRK RP5 RokitG2. I am very happy.
http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php

My friend has got Yamaha HS80 and there are really good too.
I like very much Yamaha and Genelec products.

Check Thomann (the best reseller in Europe, in this domain) for sales rank :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_vrank~ncx.html?ar=213024

Last edited by jikoo (Jun 29, 2010 7:02 am)

New York City

I want a pair of Mackie 626s
I am seriously lacking on the monitor department.

PDX

I have these Yamaha HS50M speakers and they make it nearly impossible to mix chip music bass parts, even after months of trial and error. I just ordered some Adam A7X speakers, so hopefully these will give some better translating bass. I had the Mackie HR824MKi - best monitors I've ever had for electronic / chip music, and I was a fool to sell them. Also had NS-10M's - not ideal for chip or any electronic music. 0_o

Last edited by RushCoil (Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm)

IL, US

mackie mr-5s.. love them

PDX
e.s.c. wrote:

mackie mr-5s.. love them

+1

I borrowed these from a friend for about 3 months while "between" monitors, and I couldn't believe how good they sounded and how well they translated. I especially liked that I could mix on them at low volumes, and I could still hear that punchy Mackie monitor bass tone (absolutely absent on these Yamaha's I have).

Abandoned on Fire

I've got a pair of the original KRK RP5's that I got for super cheap.  Records sound great but I can't mix on them for shit.  sad  Also, I can't mix for shit.  tongue

New York City
e.s.c. wrote:

mackie mr-5s.. love them

Are these 5"? I want small monitors (unlike most people tongue)

IL, US

yep, those are the 5" models (i'm a little space concious myself these days)

Tucson, AZ

I have a pair of KRK Rockit 6s.  I bought them based on a recommendation from Virt and they've served me well.

New York City

Nullsleep, these?

Ciudad de méxico, MX

i have a little pair of  small monitors. Nothing fancy, but they work nice.

I'm planning on buying bigger ones(520), but for now this will work.

they sound really good for their price range.

Last edited by Analog (Jun 28, 2010 7:37 pm)

Tucson, AZ
akira^8GB wrote:

Nullsleep, these?

Those are the ones. Some of the few things I own that aren't black.

New York City

They are available in black too xD
I had a slight memory of seeing them but I wanted to be sure if it was them. I am interested in this size of monitor speakers, I might score a pair. Thanks!