IL, US
Patchapon wrote:

Sweet, thank you guys for the help! I plan on getting started very soon, and I'll (hopefully) be up and running soon!

I was also just looking at the akai mpx8, and for some reason it only accepts midi in on channel 10. Is there any way to change what channels the four channels route out to?

i have an mpx8 and honestly this is the only thing about it that annoys me personally... nothing like having to change midi channels on most of your other gear (and any old tracks you still plan to play again) just to add one thing to your setup

Unsubscribe
Patchapon wrote:

Sweet, thank you guys for the help! I plan on getting started very soon, and I'll (hopefully) be up and running soon!

I was also just looking at the akai mpx8, and for some reason it only accepts midi in on channel 10. Is there any way to change what channels the four channels route out to?

Yea any lsdj channel can send to any midi channel. You could have all four go to midi channel 10 if you wished.

NUMBSKULL

Are there not simple midi channel re mappers to adjust channels on the fly?

Unsubscribe

there are not! The closest is something like midipal,
https://midisizer.com/midigal/

or using a standalone rule device like the motu midi express:
http://www.motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb

Or something like:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

NUMBSKULL

Huh, how interesting. Would a simple channel re-assigner/midi through box be useful? Like one input, 4 outputs with the ability to adjust which channels the through goes to on the fly.

Utah
catskull wrote:

Huh, how interesting. Would a simple channel re-assigner/midi through box be useful? Like one input, 4 outputs with the ability to adjust which channels the through goes to on the fly.

I would be interested in that.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The arduinoboy utility lets you set the channels however you wish and does so via the midi interface, so there's got to be a portable way to do that.

Unsubscribe
jefftheworld wrote:

The arduinoboy utility lets you set the channels however you wish and does so via the midi interface, so there's got to be a portable way to do that.

It would be cool if someone just hacked the code so instead of different aboy versions, it just loaded multiple midi out version configs.

Editing with the editor is just sysex so I imagine there is a way you could control it from the gameboy itself even. At least via a sequencer dump.

Sweden

It would be possible to hack the Aboy code to change MIDI channels via CC commands from the Gameboy.

Glasgow, Scotland.
Ledfyr wrote:

It would be possible to hack the Aboy code to change MIDI channels via CC commands from the Gameboy.

Mind. Blown.

NUMBSKULL
Ledfyr wrote:

That's a great idea! Would that interfere with other cc commands though? I mean you'd basically need 16 unique cc commands right?

Sweden

One CC number would need to be sacrificed.
Like this:

X60 - change the current channel to MIDI ch 1
X61 - change the current channel to MIDI ch 2
X6A - change the current channel to MIDI ch 11

This would instantly change the MIDI out channel of the Gameboy channel where the command is played.
X6x would not generate MIDI CC anymore.

I'll see if I can get time to do this in the upcoming weeks.

Los Angeles

Would be really easy for someone to tweak. Yay open source! Meets everyones unique requirements! wink

Dang, you guys went above and beyond, thanks for the help! I'm interested to see how this'll pan out, because (if I'm understanding this right) that would give you a ton of utility, especially if you're using something like the korg volca sample as each sample uses its own channel.

Catskull, I checked out your Arduinoboy and I might go with that, especially since it's super cheap. I'm still torn though, I really want to do an internal Arduinoboy using a Pro Mini, but I'm a little apprehensive since I really don't want to mess everything up accidentally.

But again, thanks for your help everyone! I'm gonna start ordering everything and get things going, wish me luck!

Sweden

I ended up tweaking the Arduinoboy code earlier than expected.
MIDI out channel switch on the fly! Check it out:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/18378 … n-the-fly/

Last edited by Ledfyr (Apr 20, 2016 7:50 pm)