Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm)

IL, US

i thought that part went without saying

Joliette, QC, Canada
e.s.c. wrote:
XyNo wrote:

Let's go back to end of 2009 8BC y'all !

does that mean Jose is going to come from out of nowhere to ban Low-Gain (who doesn't even post here anymore), Kitsch & me?

Don't forget the Boobgate ! wink

IL, US

yeah... that was majorly awkward and messed up

Lake Titicaca

Whats a boobgate?

IL, US

one of Jose's employees for his cart business creepily applied a sitcker to a female blip attendee's breast without her permission

Lake Titicaca

That does sound like a creepy way to find an excuse for touching a boob/titty. Was there a lot of heated debate about it on 8bc at the time?

Is jose mexican or spanish?

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 19, 2016 9:20 pm)

Lake Titicaca

O.K, just done some background reading and I think I understand now. The guy who made the bleepbloop carts took money and the carts never arrived. He then deleted any posts questioning why.

Following this, a swarm of meme-posters from 4chan spammed 8bc with memes 24 hours a day until the site was taken down.

I must say, I find 4chan to be extremely offensive. I think there are some seriously unsavoury characters lurking there.

@herrprof: Are you the guy behind "true chip til death"?

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 19, 2016 9:54 pm)

IL, US

herrprof is the one who ran tctd, yes... i'm not sure Jose's family's ancestry, he lives (or lived) in upstate new york... the death of 8bc was significantly later than the rest of that stuff, but the random bans, etc were part of why we made this site...

Lake Titicaca

O.K. Awesome. I used to visit 8bc all the time to look up tips on LSDJ and nanoloop before I stopped using them. It was a very useful site.

So this site is created and maintained by yourself, Herrprof and Xyno?

I understood something just now. You must have had an endless stream of people from 4chan trying to do their comedy, which is often heartless in nature, and you've all really had enough of memes and trolls and all that kind of stuff.

NUMBSKULL

It's like (the downfall of) 8BC was the single greatest validator of gameboy music.

IL, US

nope, i left staff a few years ago and herrprof and xyno never were... the link at the bottom of the page will tell you the full current staff

I remember feeling bad for this poor fellow called ilocan. He posted music almost daily and it this kind of odd stuff I think he was doing in fasstracker. He was from somewhere in the world I had never heard of, but I just remember following my own tunes and noticing the guy never got any attention whatsoever, even days after posting something. He kept at it anyway. Aside from that, I didn't participate in the discussions too much, I was just putting out my little Atari chiptunes and listening to everyone's music. I do sort of wish it didn't have to end the way it did.

Inside the booklets to the two CDs I had put out on Amazon at that time, I gave shouts to 8-Bit Collective. Now thats just one more past memory.

iirc ilocan was actually the father of some "pretty big deal" chiptuner. his songs were great and his 8bc persona was very endearing

Lake Titicaca
bitpusher2600 wrote:

He was from somewhere in the world I had never heard of

I think that chipmusic (particularly sample based, milkytracker etc.) is a really great way for people in comparatively far flung regions of the world to learn something about computers because maybe they can not afford a powerful laptop and an ableton license + vstis but milkytracker and other sample based trackers are not CPU intensive at all and they are free to download and use.

Also the software is pretty old school so one can make connections about computing...can almost see the cogs turning, so to speak. However, I feel like the gameboy stuff has become too expensive these days and its kind of a blind alley in a way...I mean, no one is ever going to make any money doing gameboy only music.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 20, 2016 8:44 am)

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:
bitpusher2600 wrote:

He was from somewhere in the world I had never heard of

I mean, no one is ever going to make any money doing gameboy only music.

That makes me happy.