Glasgow, Scotland.
sandneil wrote:

this is really cool, the tapes look really cool, and i also think your business model is cool

i remember a few businesses in the uk that would sell amiga software on disk if one provided both the software and the disk. it was a win-win because most people don't produce enough amiga disks for personal usage for it to be worth buying the kit to make the disks themselves. here the only difference is that you are taking a royalty rather than a flat fee, but that is arguably even more of a win for musicians as you assume some of risk that the music doesn't sell

i also think some of the tapes look awesome and if i had a way to listen to tape music and/or a fanbase i would be all over it

Thanks a lot! Have you got a link to your music? Would love to check it out.

FWIW, I've actually sold a lot more of my releases when I've put them out on tape as opposed to digital only. People like to have something physical for their hard earned cash, especially when it's a limited run. It's really awesome to get orders in from folks in the US and Japan, who wouldn't have bought the download only copy otherwise.

Tennessee

I can vogue for this guys tapes they're great, my last release he made tapes for and I love how they turned out.

Glasgow, Scotland.
frank angotti is dead wrote:

I can vogue for this guys tapes they're great, my last release he made tapes for and I love how they turned out.

Cheers man! I should have time in the next few weeks to get on top of your last message about a new release, once this current batch of stuff is out of the way smile

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
sandneil wrote:

this is really cool, the tapes look really cool, and i also think your business model is cool

i remember a few businesses in the uk that would sell amiga software on disk if one provided both the software and the disk. it was a win-win because most people don't produce enough amiga disks for personal usage for it to be worth buying the kit to make the disks themselves. here the only difference is that you are taking a royalty rather than a flat fee, but that is arguably even more of a win for musicians as you assume some of risk that the music doesn't sell

i also think some of the tapes look awesome and if i had a way to listen to tape music and/or a fanbase i would be all over it

Thanks a lot! Have you got a link to your music? Would love to check it out.

here is some
counterflirting
in the peregrine nest
going it alone

FWIW, I've actually sold a lot more of my releases when I've put them out on tape as opposed to digital only. People like to have something physical for their hard earned cash, especially when it's a limited run. It's really awesome to get orders in from folks in the US and Japan, who wouldn't have bought the download only copy otherwise.

that's interesting! i guess material culture is alive and well. i haven't bought a ebook in ages despite being an avid reader with a working kindle, and my granny collects paperweights (of all things), so why not tapes

how is this venture going for you, btw, i didn't notice it was a year old already when i initially waded in to the debate!

Glasgow, Scotland.

Been listening through this morning. Nice work! I really like:

https://aanaaanaaanadaily.bandcamp.com/ … g-it-alone

It's different from the usual chip/electronic stuff, which is nice to hear.

that's interesting! i guess material culture is alive and well. i haven't bought a ebook in ages despite being an avid reader with a working kindle, and my granny collects paperweights (of all things), so why not tapes

Yeah. For me, I like to try and support independent artists' music, but paying £5-10 for a digital only release isn't as rewarding as actually having something physical - even if I don't end up even listening to the cassettes that often. I think of it more as a solid piece of artwork than the musical delivery mechanism, if that makes sense. I think a lot of people are probably the same. It's why I prefer to do the releases in small batches, and spend time hand painting them all etc, as it makes them more unique than just whacking on a printed label.

how is this venture going for you, btw, i didn't notice it was a year old already when i initially waded in to the debate!

Pretty good. I've sold a bunch of tapes, and gotten to work with some really cool artists. Like I said, it's really awesome to get orders in from Japan and Australia and all over the world - something that wasn't really as visible when it was download only releases in the past. My one problem is that each release takes up quite a bit of time to put together, so I can't really do as much as I would like to.

San Diego, CA

wow holy crap I didn't realize this was started last year! I only looked at the "may" part of the date

and by all accounts it seems like this is going really well and the tapes look really dope! any time I see anything about artists having to put up money to be part of a thing it sends up red flags for me because of previous bad pay to play experiences. but that doesn't excuse my dumb ass wading into something a year old to say dumb stuff in a public forum

so I'm gonna full on apologize for being a jerk -- I'm really sorry for any bad feelings my posts have caused, and I'd like to accept the mantle of The Biggest Idiot for being dumb about this

Last edited by spacetownsavior (May 18, 2017 12:41 am)

Glasgow, Scotland.
spacetownsavior wrote:

so I'm gonna full on apologize for being a jerk -- I'm really sorry for any bad feelings my posts have caused, and I'd like to accept the mantle of The Biggest Idiot for being dumb about this

Hah, I appreciate that, but no need really smile I would have the same suspicions/misgivings, so yer not getting that mantle!

Part of the difficulty is having to present the collective or whatever it is as a decent 'label' brand wise so that people want to follow along and buy the tapes... but also at the same time letting artists know that it's a DIY collab style thing with someone else in the chip community, rather than some corporate outfit looking to make a buck. I obviously haven't managed that very well here! Lesson learned.