So, basically what the title says.

I am interested to hear where everyone sets their limits as I have been playing around with song length as of late, leaning towards longer experimentation.

Last edited by Pharen (May 11, 2016 5:01 pm)

I don't set limits. I love long tracks, even repetitive ones. My tracks are rarely under 5 minutes long these days.

My longest actual composition is Titan parts II–IV which is over 17 minutes long; I've recorded longer tracks but they were more along the lines of improvised ambient looping things or experimental band/duo pieces.

I'm working on a new prog album where I'm planning for each track to be between 10–20 minutes long. I've thought about splitting the tracks into their movements, but they're really designed to be listened as whole compositions.

Last edited by pselodux (May 11, 2016 5:02 am)

pselodux wrote:

I don't set limits. I love long tracks, even repetitive ones. My tracks are rarely under 5 minutes long these days.

My longest actual composition is Titan parts II–IV which is over 17 minutes long; I've recorded longer tracks but they were more along the lines of improvised ambient looping things or experimental band/duo pieces.

I'm working on a new prog album where I'm planning for each track to be between 10–20 minutes long. I've thought about splitting the tracks into their movements, but they're really designed to be listened as whole compositions.

Funny, I had a dream last night that you wrote a 700 track album...haha
Could still happen.

the longest track i wrote with any chip stuff involved was just under 28 minutes long (My Mechanical Heart), but i've messed around with improv jams and layered guitar tracks that were longer than an hour

It's between this http://chipmusic.org/chunter/music/ordinary-day

and this http://chipmusic.org/chunter/music/slow … re-alive--

Not me, but one of my favorite records is made of two 30 minutes long tracks.

https://ptesquad.bandcamp.com/album/abinox-iii

Calavera wrote:

Funny, I had a dream last night that you wrote a 700 track album...haha
Could still happen.

hahah! 700 short tracks? Could be an interesting exercise..

4m:15s

15 minutes for an ambient/electronic/bass track for my artschool art-installation.

5.xx minutes for a track that's strictly composed and not as organic/jamming as ambient music often can be.

https://soundcloud.com/havoccc/into-space

9:18

the song was inspired by henry homesweet's "the myrtles"

Only 7:54.

It's not a chiptune piece though.

I've written a song that's 14 minutes long, however, that's not typical for me.  Most of my songs fall into the 5-7 minute range, but I've also written a few songs that are under 2 minutes in length. 

In a nutshell, I don't like to set limits, some songs need to be long and some songs need to be short.

46:39 if it counts https://ptesquad.bandcamp.com/album/you … ry-of-mine

If not here's this 18:48 LGPT jam I wrote a while back https://cooshinator.bandcamp.com/track/yo-yo-yo
and this 17:53 LSDj piece I wrote a while back as well https://cooshinator.bandcamp.com/track/ … d-666-full

For some reason I really like to write long songs lol, most of them fall somewhere between 6-10 minutes

"Papercut" runs just over 7 minutes, though I think "Bits Please" technically is my longest piece, as the whole EP was originally just one giant song, that I divided into sections

Cooshinator wrote:

46:39 if it counts https://ptesquad.bandcamp.com/album/you … ry-of-mine

If not here's this 18:48 LGPT jam I wrote a while back https://cooshinator.bandcamp.com/track/yo-yo-yo
and this 17:53 LSDj piece I wrote a while back as well https://cooshinator.bandcamp.com/track/ … d-666-full

For some reason I really like to write long songs lol, most of them fall somewhere between 6-10 minutes

you came to mind immediately when I saw this post

3:52

I haven't even cracked 4 minutes guys, my songs are short