pselodux wrote:

Also, is the kick pitchable? It's looking like pretty good competition for the volca kick.. Can't wait to hear how it sounds through a distortion pedal!

It's pitchable, but it doesn't match musical notes.

A broken link cable and some issues with the update function set me back a few days, but now it's really almost done and I think I can start shipping monos this week, meeting the "early september" date.
Here's an overview on the pitch / pitch modulation range of the kick:

http://www.nanoloop.com/mono/monokicks1.mp3

The resolution for pitch goes from about 1/2 octave in the bass range to a very fine, sub-semitone scale for the higher tones.

Abandoned on Fire

Fantastic! smile

Finland

That is really really good. smile

Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

heart

france

Love it

probably no pocket operator sync via audio out though.

it looks like the POs need very strong, full 5V spikes, which DMG's headphone output can't deliver. my PO will only jump a step forward when the Game Boy is switched on. recorded pulses from a PC are only recognized when fully normalized and with output volume near maximum. but nothing with audio pulses from the Game Boy.
or maybe it's because the Game Boy's high pass filter can't hold levels long enough.

sync does work via home made link cable adaptor, but chaining Game Boy and POs with a standard stereo audio cable would have been so much simpler. i have no idea why they engineered it this way, with such a high threshold. (or is it adjustable somewhere?).

will test volcas later.

Last edited by oliver (Sep 27, 2016 7:41 pm)

france

@Oliver : The serial port of the Gameboy does not allow you to send this sync signal or receive it ?
I thought you use this serial port on gb to sync in or sync out on the gb platform.
On nanoloop 2.7, on gba sp I use this port to sync in and it works nicely with my electribe 2.
But yes I have not use it with nanoloop 1.6.x on gb IIRC and one day I try to use it without reading the manual and it was not working.... But it could be for multiple reason, not the last version, not the right cable...
So I have a question smile
What will be the sync possibility for nanoloop mono ?
Will I be able to sync in with pulse or with an arduinoboy, a lsdjmc2 ?
EDIT: the electribe 2 send the pulse sync and the gba sp receive it, IIRC it is nanoloop 2.7.9

Last edited by yoyz2k (Sep 27, 2016 7:22 pm)

i was talking about sync via audio, the headphone jack. sync via link port works the same as with the other nanoloop versions, no worry.

the idea was, since mono is mono (hence the name), to use one stereo channel for sync pulses, without using the link port. this would have been especially charming with the POs: you could have connected a stereo audio cable to the game boy's headphone out and the PO's input. the PO would have received sync clicks on one channel and mixed nanoloop's  output from the other channel with its own sound. e.g. the game boy could have acted like the master in a PO sync chain.

but unfortunately, the POs were not designed with game boy in mind. although i guess it would have technically been possible.

Last edited by oliver (Sep 27, 2016 7:38 pm)

france

Ok, I understand smile
I don't have a PO and I don't know it work this way.
And yes it could be definitely great to be able to sync it with one cable.
Cool, I will be able to use it with my gears wink

Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

Here hopin' audio sync will work with monotribe

The Forest, WA
oliver wrote:

i was talking about sync via audio, the headphone jack. sync via link port works the same as with the other nanoloop versions, no worry.

the idea was, since mono is mono (hence the name), to use one stereo channel for sync pulses, without using the link port. this would have been especially charming with the POs: you could have connected a stereo audio cable to the game boy's headphone out and the PO's input. the PO would have received sync clicks on one channel and mixed nanoloop's  output from the other channel with its own sound. e.g. the game boy could have acted like the master in a PO sync chain.

but unfortunately, the POs were not designed with game boy in mind. although i guess it would have technically been possible.

Radical stuff right here !

Melbourne
oliver wrote:

A broken link cable and some issues with the update function set me back a few days, but now it's really almost done and I think I can start shipping monos this week, meeting the "early september" date.

The resolution for pitch goes from about 1/2 octave in the bass range to a very fine, sub-semitone scale for the higher tones.

this sounds super good! nice and deep, love those squiggly sounds as well. I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this!

Funnily enough, last time I was this excited about getting nanoloop (when I got my nl2.7.2 cart) I'd ordered a monomachine but hadn't received it yet. This time around, I just bought a machinedrum (got it on sunday!) and with nl mono just around the corner, I'm doubly excited.. so clearly the first thing to do will be sync the two big_smile

Actually, one question, regarding sync: Can it ever be possible for nl mono's audio sync channel to act as a 'thru'? So, if it's receiving a sync pulse from the link port, can it be passed through to the audio output (I'm guessing the right channel)? This would be really good to sync from machinedrum -> nl mono -> nl2.. Otherwise I'll just use two outputs on the machinedrum for sync, or do a good old split cable from the sync output.

*AND/OR* simultaneous sync out from the audio jack and link port?

Brittany
oliver wrote:

Great ! Your example sounds so good. :-)
Just like pselodux, i'm really excited about this release.

i first have to find out wether the audio clicks are recognized by other devices at all. they may be too weak for volcas etc as well. "thru" would be possible but of course add latency.

Turku, FIN

That's a bummer with the PO sync. I thought that PO sync itself was quite weak, I read about that somewhere that they would not work as a master to some devices.