(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Hey all!

So I have a bit of a modding question before I venture down the road of doing mods for other people...

I want to install prosound mods, but from personal experience, they don't switch the signal strictly to the jack. Instead, the speaker continues to produce sound (albeit very quiet).

Is there a way to wire a prosound mod in such a way that it will switch completely like the stock audio jack?

Thanks!
-Sam

Melbourne, Australia

You could always just plug some headphones into the Gameboy, that silences the speaker, but the prosound mod still works fine. Alternatively, you can use a pre-pot prosound, and then have your volume all the way down, which will silence the speaker, but not affect the prosound.

Atlanta, GA

I don't understand why you'd want this?

Michigan

You will need a switched jack rather than the typical unswitched stereo jack.
According to the schematics here, when the 3.5mm jack is inserted, a pin on the speaker amp is grounded (or disconnected, I can't tell which)
http://fms.komkon.org/GameBoy/Tech/GameBoy.gif

You know that 4-wire ribbon cable that goes to the head phone jack? That includes Left Audio, right audio, ground and the switch. The white cable is the switch. Find out if it is grounded or disconnected when a jack is inserted and then we can talk about jacks.

Ninten Kwon Do wrote:

I don't understand why you'd want this?

So that I don't annoy people on a commute tongue

Jazzmarazz wrote:

You will need a switched jack rather than the typical unswitched stereo jack.
According to the schematics here, when the 3.5mm jack is inserted, a pin on the speaker amp is grounded (or disconnected, I can't tell which)
http://fms.komkon.org/GameBoy/Tech/GameBoy.gif

You know that 4-wire ribbon cable that goes to the head phone jack? That includes Left Audio, right audio, ground and the switch. The white cable is the switch. Find out if it is grounded or disconnected when a jack is inserted and then we can talk about jacks.

I found a video talking about this...

I think I just gotta snip the left/right wires and solder in new ones going to the post-well l/r points

Panda Chan wrote:

You could always just plug some headphones into the Gameboy, that silences the speaker, but the prosound mod still works fine. Alternatively, you can use a pre-pot prosound, and then have your volume all the way down, which will silence the speaker, but not affect the prosound.

I could do pre-pot but then I can't really change the volume and that's pretty sus imho

Melbourne, Australia
nanode wrote:
Panda Chan wrote:

I could do pre-pot but then I can't really change the volume and that's pretty sus imho

Yeah that's fair, the headphone option is pretty easy though, just get a headphone plug that's not attached to anything and stick it in the normal headphone spot and that should work fine.

Sweden

Not sure about the differences in sound quality, but you can use the existing headphone jack.
A.k.a. Internal Prosound mod.
Then the speaker will turn off when you plug something in the jack.

Note that some headphones will be too quiet, some will work fine.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:03 am)