Chicago

Anyone know how to use the wav writer function in BGB running through wine on a mac? I can turn it on in the options menu, but I don't see any wav files created in the BGB folder like when I've tried it on a windows machine.

Right now, I'm using Soundflower to record with Logic but would prefer to be able to record straight from BGB.

Sweeeeeeden

Have you tried entering a full path into the file name field? For example if you enter c:\somedir\somefile you should hopefully get a file written to c:\somedir\somefile-sometimestamp.wav. Of course, you have to figure out a suitable virtual Wine path that is writable.

The files should be created in the bgb folder. Wine is just a little weird about files that are created while it is running. I had to restart my Wine "session" to make them appear in Wine. If i browse my Wine instance folder in the Finder i can seem them right away.

If you are still using wine like stargazer did tell you in this thread then you should be able to find those files. (Easiest way to find them is to type in the prefix you typed in the bgb wav output settings - standard is bgb)

Last edited by zemzelett (Jun 15, 2016 6:59 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Yeah wav works fine for me in wine. BGB gets super laggy but the sound is fine.

Chicago

Okay, I found it! They were going to Users>Me>Library>Application Support>com.yourcompany.yourapp(bunch of random numbers)>drive_c.

Thanks for the help!

Great!

Weird folder path though. I stored my wine instance under my Documents folder, for development reasons and for ease of use.

the Netherlands

BUMP!

Same problem here. I am running BGB on a Mac in Wine and can't get the export function to work. I played with several settings and searched my hardrive for files but nothing...

How can I export files? Do you get a export screen or a notification that it is exporting? Anyone?

PS: n00b alert!

MONODEER wrote:

BUMP!

Same problem here. I am running BGB on a Mac in Wine and can't get the export function to work. I played with several settings and searched my hardrive for files but nothing...

How can I export files? Do you get a export screen or a notification that it is exporting? Anyone?

PS: n00b alert!

Did you read this thread? I think it does not leave a lot of questions open...

As soon as you enable the "WAV file writer" in the options it starts outputting audio files. There is no message whatsoever telling you it started, it does just start right away.
Same goes for disabling it. It simply stops. If you reload a ROM it starts a new wav file.

For where the files are: Know where your Wine instance is stored. Under that open "drive_c > Program Files > bgb" or whereever you stored bgb in your Wine. The files should be right in the bgb program folder.

the Netherlands

'Did I read this thread?' YES.  Did you see my 'n00b alert' addition? wink

First part is clear!

Second part...Not. Because of my n00bness probably.  Still can't seem to find the location of the files. I found the instance but no files in there.
It's the same folder where I need to place my .GB and .SAV file, right?

MONODEER wrote:

'Did I read this thread?' YES.  Did you see my 'n00b alert' addition? wink

First part is clear!

Second part...Not. Because of my n00bness probably.  Still can't seem to find the location of the files. I found the instance but no files in there.
It's the same folder where I need to place my .GB and .SAV file, right?

Ok, i didn't know in which direction the noob alert was going.

Gb and sav files have to be in no particular folder for BGB. So i don't know which folder you mean by that.

But try what i've already mentioned earlier: In Finder search for "bgb*" and it should find the files for you. The you know where the folder is. (If you changed the "bgb" prefix in the WAV file writer to something else, search for that instead)

Last edited by zemzelett (Sep 26, 2016 11:35 am)

the Netherlands

It worked! I was in the correct folder but apperently the exporting didn't go though or something! Thanks for helping!

MONODEER wrote:

It worked! I was in the correct folder but apperently the exporting didn't go though or something! Thanks for helping!

This sounds like one thing i also mentioned earlier: I couldn't see files created by BGB in the Wine file explorer, yet in the Mac Finder they where visible.

Glad it works!

the Netherlands

They weren't visible in any folder since BGB didn't properly exported any files. Playback sounds pretty terible as well so I might want to dive into the settings as well. Do you normally export as 8bit sound?

Chicago
MONODEER wrote:

They weren't visible in any folder since BGB didn't properly exported any files. Playback sounds pretty terible as well so I might want to dive into the settings as well. Do you normally export as 8bit sound?

No, uncheck 8bit sound and select "high quality sound rendering".