Lake Titicaca

Hmm, interesting responses.

Before I continue I just want to make it clear that I'm not a hater and also I'm not on a longage.

I think my friend thought that chip music was conceited because it was the first time he had seen chipmusic in a live setting and he was kind of underwhelmed.

The guy who was on before the chip act was using the whole roland system 1 setup, as well as some modular gizmo and all the sounds in his set were big and heavy, plus he was kinda humble about the whole thing, but when the chip act came on it was just a one gameboy setup with no effects and the guy was jumping around hyping his stuff way too much for what it was. He basically cleared the floor instantly.

It kind of gave the impression that the chip guy was conceited in the way that he came across as if he was saying "pfft! look at you with all your fancy schmancy modern equipment and complex sound design techniques...I dont need any of that because my mind is so powerful all I need is a gameboy to rock a live set better than any other type of electronic music producer".

I mean, I totally understand someone doing a live set with maybe 4 DMGs + a mixer + 2 Kaoss pads, but Ive seen so many 1 x DMG with no effects live sets flop and fail hard, clearing out everyone. Its like when a DJ wants to show that his record collection is "deep" and starts playing obscure 70s disco that no one likes except DJs that know those records are the ones that famous breaks were taken from or something.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 29, 2016 12:55 am)

Unsubscribe

jeeze how many chiptune guys do you have

Lake Titicaca

Recently there have been so many. They keep on popping out of the woodwork...emerging from obscurity or a place of seclusion.

Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

Don't feed the troll.

Lake Titicaca

your a troll, but im gruffer

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 27, 2016 7:31 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

Mr Cake, do you like chiptunes?

Lake Titicaca

not always.. i think there is potential, occasionally I'll hear something groundbreaking but I think people want to pigeonhole themselves too much (assigning themselves and their music to a particular category, typically an overly restrictive one).

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 27, 2016 7:47 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

but when the chip act came on it was just a one gameboy setup with no effects and the guy was jumping around hyping his stuff way too much for what it was. He basically cleared the floor instantly.
It kind of gave the impression that the chip guy was conceited in the way that he came across as if he was saying "pfft! look at you with all your fancy schmancy modern equipment and complex sound design techniques...I dont need any of that because my mind is so powerful all I need is a gameboy to rock a live set better than any other type of electronic music producer".

Sounds like what I do but I don't do it for the "Yo I'm better than you I'm a gameboy kid" I do it because this is how I like doing my shitty gigs ! wink
I have totally what I called the chipmusician syndrome...I will always think my stuff is uber shit even if people will say that this or this song of mine are good.

you do realize its only a medium, correct?

NC in the US of America

It's more likely that many niche musicians just don't make music that's exciting enough to live up to their level of enthusiasm towards it.

They're not conceited. The music just isn't all that interesting.

Lake Titicaca

I agree with sketchman.

I guess, something along the lines of: don't jump on stage until your set is ready.

@bitjacker: music is a medium, television is a medium, XXL is a medium, mystics are mediums but chiptune is an offshoot.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 27, 2016 8:04 pm)

NC in the US of America
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

I agree with sketchman.

I guess, something along the lines of: don't jump on stage until your set is ready.

@bitjacker: music is a medium, television is a medium, XXL is a medium, mystics are mediums but chiptune is an offshoot.

oil and canvas is a medium, terracotta is a medium, wood is a medium, etc

Michigan
SketchMan3 wrote:
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

I agree with sketchman.

oil and canvas is a medium, terracotta is a medium, wood is a medium, etc

Wood workers are good people, but place me in a room with a terracotta artist and I'll go mad.

What do you mean by saying it's an offshoot, Mr. Jaffa?

Lake Titicaca

I mean to say that, simply put, the modern endemic chiptune movement is, in reality, a kind of hat tipping to the chipmusic pioneers in the nation of Japan who brought about the magical feeling that many yearned to recreate approximately twenty years onward and after the fact.
I must hasten to add, lest we may forget, that there were early pioneers in the U.K too (rob hubbard springs to mind but alas, there were many) although it was aeons ago in another age. Chiptune composers have certainly been none too complacent in hat tipping other forms of electronic music in addition to the aforementioned.

By saying that chiptune is an offshoot rather than a medium per se. I am implying that many chiptune composers have been demanding sureties while others have been in a state of refusing to find sureties, those which were placed before them. Do you see?

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 29, 2016 12:59 am)

No. wait. yes, I totally see now.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jun 28, 2016 1:36 pm)