Hello, everyone, I like many of you am a fan of chiptune and have decided it is time to make some of my own.  I am a newb to electronic music in general and am learning as I go.  Currently my gear includes: 

All six Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators
LSDJ running on either a GBP or GBC.  Preffering the GBP at the moment.
TI-82 which I unfortunately have not yet gotten HoustonTracker2 to transfer to yet.  So help there is welcome.
DefleMask on my PC
Nanoloop on my iPhone

I understand the Pocket Operators the best currently and am working on learning LSDJ and DefleMask when I have time.  Also, looking into how to use the Highly Fluid MIDI/Arduinoboy kits to use LSDJ to send control signals to the Pocket Operators.  May eventually work into circuit bending.  I also play Mandolin in mainly the folk and bluegrass genres.  So, now you know a bit about me.  Any direction on places to learn more about chiptune and learning LSDJ and trackers on general is welcome.  I look forward to getting to know all of you folks and the knowledge you share! 

Cheers!

MoriMach777

Last edited by MoriMach777 (Jul 7, 2016 9:11 pm)

Welcome my freend!

I'd say, start with making covers or simple original tunes in a chip set you are most comfortable with in Deflemask. It looks like you're already familiar with Gameboy. You can try making the same tune for Gameboy side by side with LSDJ and Deflemask. That way, you can learn both interfaces at the same time.

Look at other people's example work in Deflemask demo songs. Explore their technique of you hear a sound trick you like.

Collaborate with other people who know the chipset like DevEd.

Most importantly, play around with a variety of chipsets in your spare time, and try to find out what style of music you want to make.

That's all for now.

Thanks for the advice, sir!  I am currently working on your general suggestions already.  I am likely going to be someone who tries to mix a couple different chipsets in the long run.  But, we will see how my interests develop in the chiptune realm.  I really enjoy Danimal Cannon and Chipzel atm, but they are also the only two chip artists I have really listened to closely.  Danimal I especially like because of his insanely great breakdowns and energy.  The guy is great at sending you on a fast paced journey through his music and i like it.  Chipzel is kind of just good all around for different tempos and even song types.

Montreal, Canada

Give Klystrack a try. Seriously. Not enough people are using it!@$#%$#^

Shameless plug about what Klystrack can do:

https://n00bstar.bandcamp.com/

(yay for using topics for self promotion!)

Looks interesting but I don't immediately see a windows version on doing a google search.

n00bstar wrote:

Give Klystrack a try. Seriously. Not enough people are using it!@$#%$#^

Shameless plug about what Klystrack can do:

https://n00bstar.bandcamp.com/

(yay for using topics for self promotion!)

Montreal, Canada

There you go!

http://kometbomb.github.io/klystrack/

Thanks