RELEASE GOOD SONGS
JUST DO THAT

that being said i got into the scene and grew up on gameboy four on the floor so i don't mind

For me, I still don't like the way outsiders misunderstand it.

Lately, I feel like I could spend three years creating an album of my best shit ever but it will only get a modest reaction because of genre, loudness, and technical expectations.

e.s.c. wrote:

most of my favorite artists in the scene listen to little or no chipmusic.. personally, i listen mostly to industrial metal & hip-hop

yeah I don't listen to much chipmusic at all.. apart from my friends' music, or amiga demoscene tracks.


chunter wrote:

For me, I still don't like the way outsiders misunderstand it.

Lately, I feel like I could spend three years creating an album of my best shit ever but it will only get a modest reaction because of genre, loudness, and technical expectations.

For sure, as a result I'm considering not making it obvious what I use to create my tracks.. unless it's some gimmick like in a youtube video.

I think part of the reason why people misunderstand chip is that the bright, happy hardcore-esque, omg videogames ADHD colours everywhere aesthetic is still so prevalent at a lot of chip shows. Given, they are meant to be a party atmosphere, but where are my god damn dark brooding monochrome minimal tech chip shows?!

I guess when I pull up ModPlug and can't do anything to save my life, plus the consistency issue that my.explosion mentioned.

Writing songs is hard, guys.

pselodux wrote:

Given, they are meant to be a party atmosphere, but where are my god damn dark brooding monochrome minimal tech chip shows?!

Tbh I think the problem is that most chip platforms can't really get that softer/darker sound, or that live variation in timbre required. For example, LSDJ, NES, etc. isn't ideal because it's all sharp pulsewaves, and you can't really edit the sounds drastically in live performance. There are platforms that do work well, such as Commodore 64s, GBA with nanoloop (as you've proved wink ) and probably things like the Megadrive. But these platforms are harder to get a hold of and use, so, less people use them, and those that get into those consoles usually make the styles that the consoles are known for (classic demosceney stuff for C64 etc.)

That said, start a minimal tech chip show! I'd be keen to try and get a project together for one!!

Last edited by Panda Chan (August 30, 2016 12:15 am)

Panda Chan wrote:

Tbh I think the problem is that most chip platforms can't really get that softer/darker sound, or that live variation in timbre required. For example, LSDJ, NES, etc. isn't ideal because it's all sharp pulsewaves, and you can't really edit the sounds drastically in live performance.

Yeah, true. Hopefully nanoloop mono will bring some welcome softer sounds into the chip scene big_smile


Panda Chan wrote:

That said, start a minimal tech chip show! I'd be keen to try and get a project together for one!!

maaan, if only. After the exhausting effort of organising a monthly electronic night last year, I don't think I want to do it again any time soon, unless I can co-organise with someone. Even so, the anxiety I get from promoting a show stops me from putting together a set, or rehearsing enough..

Last edited by pselodux (August 30, 2016 12:37 am)

pselodux wrote:

Yeah, true. Hopefully nanoloop mono will bring some welcome softer sounds into the chip scene big_smile

Yeah, hopefully! Even so, I'm going to try and get some of that softer side out from things like the C64 soonish I hope. And was literally just playing around with deflemask, and the MegaDrive is ripe for some tech stuff!

pselodux wrote:

maaan, if only. After the exhausting effort of organising a monthly electronic night last year, I don't think I want to do it again any time soon, unless I can co-organise with someone. Even so, the anxiety I get from promoting a show stops me from putting together a set, or rehearsing enough..

Ahh, yeah that's fair enough! Tbh after I don't have to organise events for uni (i.e. next year) I'd be down to co-organise an event! But yeah, promoting is rough hmm

Panda Chan wrote:

Tbh I think the problem is that most chip platforms can't really get that softer/darker sound, or that live variation in timbre required. For example, LSDJ, NES, etc. isn't ideal because it's all sharp pulsewaves, and you can't really edit the sounds drastically in live performance.

i disagree whole-heartedly.. i managed to get darker sounds out of lsdj, all versions of nanoloop, midines, piggy tracker & sammichsid among other hardware and software... it might not be super easy, but if you're only doing what's easy then why do it at all? all versions of nanoloop excel at being able to change things drastically live, and using live mode in lsdj or piggy tracker is easy and opens up lots of possibilities.. additionally one can use external effect units, guitar pedals, additional instruments, etc...

e.s.c. wrote:

i disagree whole-heartedly.. i managed to get darker sounds out of lsdj, all versions of nanoloop, midines, piggy tracker & sammichsid among other hardware and software... it might not be super easy, but if you're only doing what's easy then why do it at all? all versions of nanoloop excel at being able to change things drastically live, and using live mode in lsdj or piggy tracker is easy and opens up lots of possibilities.. additionally one can use external effect units, guitar pedals, additional instruments, etc...

I specifically avoided including nanoloop, piggy tracker, and midines in that because they are all excellent tools for that sort of music, however, they're nowhere near as accessible to people as a DMG and LSDJ.

As for the rest, I completely agree with you that it's possible, I've done so myself, but as you said it is a lot harder. And again, in response to if you're only doing what's easy then why do it? A lot of people wouldn't think that way unfortunately. It's people's natural tendency to do what they can already do well. That and a lot of people don't have a drive to make minimal tech in the first place.

I'm not saying any of this is true for everyone, I'm just saying it seems to be a strong trend I've noticed.

i changed my mind the musicians are the worst part

Detuned pulse waves are dark. That's how you let em know, shits going down.

pselodux wrote:

I think part of the reason why people misunderstand chip is that the bright, happy hardcore-esque, omg videogames ADHD colours everywhere aesthetic is still so prevalent at a lot of chip shows. Given, they are meant to be a party atmosphere, but where are my god damn dark brooding monochrome minimal tech chip shows?!

They got skipped for having technical issues and emptying the dance floor. /s

What I meant are people who have no familiarity with even that much regarding chipmusic, but often those are people who aren't interested in music at all anyway.

Regarding humanizing the sound of chipmusic, you get out what you put in. The delay and vibrato instructions and instrument tables are there for a reason, use them and chisel some life into your sound.

I don't like how much I overthink how to make it a good performance. When I use Live Mode, it feels more interactive but all people see is a dude starting at a screen. It would help if more people had some idea what I was doing, but I'm not really in the right place for that.

I've been trying to figure out how to integrate more performance elements into my sound for a while but I'm kind of stuck with a very Spartan approach due to lack of funds and community.

I busk outside of SLC ComicCon with my DMG and a portable amp every year, and I'm surprised at how often people think I'm just playing game audio over a speaker for no reason. But if I picked a different instrument and played over the top of song mode, how's that any different than just plugging my phone in and playing over an mp3? I overthink this stuff a bit much.

Last edited by toasterpastries (August 30, 2016 2:54 am)

toasterpastries wrote:

I don't like how much I overthink how to make it a good performance. When I use Live Mode, it feels more interactive but all people see is a dude starting at a screen. It would help if more people had some idea what I was doing, but I'm not really in the right place for that.

I've been trying to figure out how to integrate more performance elements into my sound for a while but I'm kind of stuck with a very Spartan approach due to lack of funds and community.

I busk outside of SLC ComicCon with my DMG and a portable amp every year, and I'm surprised at how often people think I'm just playing game audio over a speaker for no reason. But if I picked a different instrument and played over the top of song mode, how's that any different than just plugging my phone in and playing over an mp3? I overthink this stuff a bit much.

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to make chip performances more visual. I'm at the point where I feel like I should be re-purposing my shows into something more like an installation, rather than a typical gig setup.. where the focus isn't on the person creating the music, but some kind of spatial thing. Obviously this is difficult to orchestrate for a 30 minute set in the middle of a chip gig where everyone's blaring airhorns, but hey, it'd be interesting..

Boner wrote:

i changed my mind the musicians are the worst part

lol, I have to say, I can't ever stay too bitter with the scene simply because chip musicians are some of the nicest people I've ever met.. it's a shame I don't see many of them outside of the chip scene very often.


.. and as much as I tend to bitch about the current state of the scene, I do have a lot of fun at the parties!

Last edited by pselodux (August 30, 2016 3:35 am)