Hi everybody!
During this summer I wrote a program with a GUI to flash EMS 64M cartridges that works on Linux, OS X and Windows (up to the last Windows 10).
On Windows it doesn't use the original EMS driver but a different one, that is signed, so you don't have to become mad disabling driver signing or using old PCs with Windows XP.
You can find it here: https://github.com/rbino/ems-qart
I tried to make it easy to install, you don't have to compile things to make it work if you just want to use it.
Please let me know if you encounter some problems but also if everything goes well, so I can be sure it is reasonably working on all the platforms (it has already been tested, but corner cases aways exist).
For now, it supports only writing (and reading) a single ROM to each bank, but I plan to implement multi-ROM support as soon as possible.

Last edited by rbino (Sep 14, 2016 6:25 pm)

Sweden

Awesome, thanks for making this!

Italy

I'm using the original EMS software on Windows 7 x64 (not using it would make me feel bad after everything I've done to get it working), this one (thanks again, rbino! Works like a charm big_smile) on Debian x64 and Drew Read's GB Cart tool on Android.

It is awesome how just a few years ago the solution for backing up and patching EMS carts was full of struggles. Feels awesome to see how this has changed!

Finland

Woooow this is great! i can maybe work with my EMS carts again big_smile
fantastic!

Germany

You are awesome! Gave up on these because of all the hassle with the original drivers. Thanks!

I appreciate guys like you very much.
I went thru alot of hassle setting up Virtualbox on my Mac with an unregistered version of Windows 10 solely for the sake of working with my EMS carts, and I can't even remember how much screwing around it took before I got things to work. As soon as opportune allows I will test this on Mac (mine is running El Capitan) and let you know how it goes.

Regardless, thank you and thank you again for trying to do this.

Medina, Ohio

Trying to install in linux cause this would be a freakin life saver to not have to use a win 10 partition. I use 64 Bit Elementary OS [based on Ubuntu] with intel.

When trying to run the line to install dependencies I get unable to locate package qml-module-qtquick2 qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-dialogs.

Is there some sort of PPA I have to add for this? Also I do happen to have QT creator installed so would it be maybe possible to find what I need in there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I could not be happier with this!
It worked flawlessly for me. Upon running the app I flashed my kitted out LSDJ to one bank, and Pokemon Gold onto the second. Roms and sav's zipped back and forth and just fine. Now I can remove Virtualbox and Windows from my system. Thank you so much rbino.

Last edited by bitpusher2600 (Sep 17, 2016 10:49 pm)

dsv101 wrote:

When trying to run the line to install dependencies I get unable to locate package qml-module-qtquick2 qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-dialogs.

If you're using Freya, that is based on Ubuntu 14.04, the problem is that these packages have a different name.
I've just made a  new release that should fix that, try downloading the v0.9.3 deb and please tell me if it's working.

Last edited by rbino (Sep 18, 2016 4:27 pm)

Medina, Ohio

After a working install, when launching ems-qart from the terminal I get the following:

QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/qml/MainView.qml:8 Type ApplicationWindow unavailable
file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ApplicationWindow.qml:41 module "QtQuick.Window" is not installed

Did you install it with the deb package or did you build it yourself?
For a quick fix I think that

sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-window-plugin

should solve the issue.

It's strange that that package is not a dependency of the other packages I'm installing anyway.

Michigan

thank you!!!!! this is awesome!

Medina, Ohio
rbino wrote:

Did you install it with the deb package or did you build it yourself?
For a quick fix I think that

sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-window-plugin

should solve the issue.

It's strange that that package is not a dependency of the other packages I'm installing anyway.

This did the trick. And yes I used the deb package. Long story short, thanks for the support! Looking forward to using the tool! Now I just need to figure out how to mount my ipod in linux then I can finally get rid of that stupid win 10 partition.

dsv101 wrote:

This did the trick. And yes I used the deb package.

I'll add explicitly that dependency and make a new release, so other people on Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives should be ok just installing the deb package.

dsv101 wrote:

Now I just need to figure out how to mount my ipod in linux then I can finally get rid of that stupid win 10 partition.

My iPod Classics works well with Rhythmbox but I've heard that new generation iPods are not as simple to work with.
Thanks Apple for your beautiful walled gardens!

Medina, Ohio
rbino wrote:
dsv101 wrote:

Now I just need to figure out how to mount my ipod in linux then I can finally get rid of that stupid win 10 partition.

My iPod Classics works well with Rhythmbox but I've heard that new generation iPods are not as simple to work with.
Thanks Apple for your beautiful walled gardens!

I have an iPod touch 3rd gen which should supposedly work but no series of methods I've tried have had success. Probably will end up just buying an mp3 player and large SD card

Canada

Could never get the ems command line to work on mac... I'm very happy to see this. Thanks a ton!

Side-note. I've been playing some games on retroarch, which uses .srm as it's sav, but when I try to drop it on an actual cart, it doesn't work. Does anyone know anything about how to convert .srm to .sav? Found a converter tool here: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043 but for some reason it won't run in win8.1.

Last edited by Jansaw (Sep 20, 2016 12:52 pm)